Who is older?

Dire-Lion

Sorry if this has been covered before, but during a re-read I noticed that Catelyn is worried about Jon having children that could take Winterfell from her children, and grandchildren. Do we have an official timeline for Jon and Robb's births or could Jon actually officially be Ned's oldest child?

Both of them are born in 283AC. I believe Jon is slightly younger, due that he is born around Sack of KL, and Robb was concieved immediately after Cat and Ned's wedding, which happened somewhere at the beginning of Robert's rebellion.

I think they are extremely close in age as they are both supposedly concieved about 2-3 months into the Rebellion. I think that Jon is slightly older (if R+L=J is true), but as they never mention actual dates for "namedays" and Robb doesn't refer to him as "older brother" or "younger brother" it's hard to be certain.

I certainly think that Ned would claim Robb was older (becuase his "bastard" would be concieved while he was off to war) and the only "story" we have in the text that would make Jon older than Robb is the one in DoD when Davos is trapped on one of the Sister Islands and the lord told him that Ned left the girl who brough him North with a bag of silver and a child in her belly.

Thanks for the info, so it seems like this is just Catelyn being paranoid about her children losing influence then.

I wouldn't call that parahnoia. I mean, it's not unlikely that bastard brother wants what he believes is his. Cat was just protecting what she believed is her children's.

Well maybe paranoid isn't exaclty the right word. However, even legitimized Jon would be behind Robb in the line of succession therefore Catelyn doesn't have any justifiable reasons to worry about this happening as being born second Jon can never claim that Winterfell is rightfully his.

Archived