Dany's commanders in Westeros

repbypop

Yes Dany is a good military commander especially when she took Yunkai, that was good work from her.

She doesn't do anything when it comes to battles, just sitting safely in her tent and let Barristan do the battle.

She's a strategist, not a commander, two differents things, and like i said she was able to do that because the slavers are stupid. Her little tricks won't work in Westeros.

Not so different. She needs to put more trust in some of her commanders than Tywin or Stannis, who are on hand to make decisions once the fighting starts true, (although fighting dragon-back might rectify this) but she can still plan a battle and take most of the crucial decisions in a campaign by herself.

I hadn't realized there was a dearth of stupid people in westeros either ...

That's totally like to happen /sarcasm. Tyrion isn't even a proper commander, tossing fire onto your enemy doesn't make you a commander. Ys he has some unrealistic luck in battle since he's survived even one of them, but he is no commander.

And we aren't even sure Mrs I Hate Usurper Dogs will take kindly to Tyrion or some magically appearing Gerion.

He has fought in two battles, not including Meereen. Tyrion has shown to be a good strategist and tactician in cyvasse and the BoBW. He had the mountain clans kill off he scouts and raid the camps, and he didn't just fling wildfire, he had a boom chain and towers built, luring the fleet into a trap.

Tyrion will prove his loyalty to Dany, and he had no part in RR. Gerion doesn't appear magically there a hints to him being the corsair king mentioned in ASoS and AFfC. Try to be a little more mature next time you post, no offense.

If the Dothrakis accept to follow Tyrion, maybe, but i wouldn't bet on that. The Dothrakis follow only their Khal to battle , and Dany will be the only one they would accept to follow because she has dragons. And the Unsullied, their commander is Grey Worn, nobody else. So i don't think Tyrion would be able to lead any of them in battle. The master of ships should be Victarion, Lannisters don't have ships, so it would be a waste of time to name a lannister as master of ship with no ships.

Victarion will be killed by Drogon after Dany learns he killed Barristan, her husband and possibly Jorah.

Grey Worm would follow Barristan as shown in ADwD and the TWoW spoilers. The Dothraki will follow Dany, but the Westerosi lords will take orders from Tyrion. Also, as for the Dothraki following strength, the same could be said for the mountain clans, but Tyrion managed to win them to his side.

Okay so Dany who never took lessons like Robb or Jon or Stannis or Robert from a master at arms in her childhood, suddenly knows about tactics and army formations of shit despite us not having read about her taking lessons from anyone about this particular subject?

The Mary Sue that mounts the world, in that case. But gladly, she isn't, because she doesn't know crap about logistics and formations and army shiz.

Probably the Victarion fleets who are on his way to Meereen.

Victarion has at last count I believe sixty one ships. Many of those are merchant or fishing ships and some are sure to be lost in the upcoming battle. Lets say all survive though and each ship can hold 250 people that is still only ~15k troops and it's very unlikely each ship can hold 250 people. Dany is going to need basically all the ships in slavers bay to transport her current army plus thousands more Dothraki and their horse. Even then I don't think she will have enough ships to take all her freemen with her. She also needs ships to carry her dragons, weapons, supplies, and food.

When Nymeria invaded Westeros she had 10,000 ships. Dany will be lucky to be able to gather a few hundred ships.

They followed Jorah because he was a warrior who proved himself more than once, they know Jorah since Khal Drogo was alive and Khal himself has some respect for Jorah, so they have no problem to follow him. But they will not follow a imp on battlefield, trust me.

I'm not arguing that Tyrion lead anyone on the battlefield. I'm saying Tyrion will is more then capable of developing battle plans and tactics for the other commanders to carry out. Tyrion doesn't need to be in the front lines command. He can sit with the reserve like Tywin did.

Okay so Dany who never took lessons like Robb or Jon or Stannis or Robert from a master at arms in her childhood, suddenly knows about tactics and army formations of shit despite us not having read about her taking lessons from anyone about this particular subject?

The Mary Sue that mounts the world, in that case. But gladly, she isn't, because she doesn't know crap about logistics and formations and army shiz.

Yea, she's supposed to be a prodigy, fully possessed of the Targaryen genius.

She clearly does know about army tactics too, as evidenced in her dispositions before the battle with the Yunkish.

Not so different. She needs to put more trust in some of her commanders than Tywin or Stannis, who are on hand to make decisions once the fighting starts true, (although fighting dragon-back might rectify this) but she can still plan a battle and take most of the crucial decisions in a campaign by herself.

I hadn't realized there was a dearth of stupid people in westeros either ...

Dany don't know anything about warfare, so i would be surprised that a little girl would be able to come up with good solutions to defeat her ennemies. I know its a fantasy world but let's be real, she's not that clever. Even Robb had need the advices and the experiences of his commanders to be able to win some battles against Tywin, him alone couldn't manage to do that.

Yea, she's supposed to be a prodigy, fully possessed of the Targaryen genius.

She clearly does know about army tactics too, as evidenced in her dispositions before the battle with the Yunkish.

That's just laughable. Are you trolling now?

Dany wins Yunkai with politics. She convinces the sells word companies to betray each other and to get drunk on wine she gives them so her men can take them while they are drunk.

Nothing relating too the technicalities or science of warfare at all.

If I remember correctly, it was snowing further south of westeros at the end of ADWD. People mention that Dany will have the dothraki army of Khal Jaqho; but how are these screamers going to deal with the cold even if there were a capable commander to lead them? They are going to be sick and all that. :ack:

Victarion has at last count I believe sixty one ships. Many of those are merchant or fishing ships and some are sure to be lost in the upcoming battle. Lets say all survive though and each ship can hold 250 people that is still only ~15k troops and it's very unlikely each ship can hold 250 people. Dany is going to need basically all the ships in slavers bay to transport her current army plus thousands more Dothraki and their horse. Even then I don't think she will have enough ships to take all her freemen with her. She also needs ships to carry her dragons, weapons, supplies, and food.

When Nymeria invaded Westeros she had 10,000 ships. Dany will be lucky to be able to gather a few hundred ships.

I'm not arguing that Tyrion lead anyone on the battlefield. I'm saying Tyrion will is more then capable of developing battle plans and tactics for the other commanders to carry out. Tyrion doesn't need to be in the front lines command. He can sit with the reserve like Tywin did.

Good point, but i guess when she will defeated the slavers alliance, she will take their ships, or maybe the Iron ships are much bigger than Nymeria's ships and can carry many more men. I agree that Tyrion would be a good adviser.

He has fought in two battles, not including Meereen. Tyrion has shown to be a good strategist and tactician in cyvasse and the BoBW. He had the mountain clans kill off he scouts and raid the camps, and he didn't just fling wildfire, he had a boom chain and towers built, luring the fleet into a trap.

Tyrion will prove his loyalty to Dany, and he had no part in RR. Gerion doesn't appear magically there a hints to him being the corsair king mentioned in ASoS and AFfC. Try to be a little more mature next time you post, no offense.

Victarion will be killed by Drogon after Dany learns he killed Barristan, her husband and possibly Jorah.

Grey Worm would follow Barristan as shown in ADwD and the TWoW spoilers. The Dothraki will follow Dany, but the Westerosi lords will take orders from Tyrion. Also, as for the Dothraki following strength, the same could be said for the mountain clans, but Tyrion managed to win them to his side.

Why Victarion would kill Barristan ? And i don't think the Westeros lords will take orders from Tyrion (Kingslayer and Kinslayer) they don't forget so easily. If any House decide to follow Dany, the commander would come from their house or their bannermans.

If I remember correctly, it was snowing further south of westeros at the end of ADWD. People mention that Dany will have the dothraki army of Khal Jaqho; but how are these screamers going to deal with the cold even if there were a capable commander to lead them? They are going to be sick and all that. :ack:

Good point, Dany gonna have a lot of trouble to Westeros.

That's just laughable. Are you trolling now?

Dany wins Yunkai with politics. She convinces the sells word companies to betray each other and to get drunk on wine she gives them so her men can take them while they are drunk.

Nothing relating too the technicalities or science of warfare at all.

She actually ordered a cavalry charge at their centre, believing the slaves would not stand before the Dothraki, and utilized the unsullied for an attack on the flanks, while deceiving them about the time of battle and sowing dissension in the ranks of their sellswords.

A plan masterful enough that Ser Jorah ruefully admitted she was Prince Rhaegar's sister after hearing it.

Why Victarion would kill Barristan ? And i don't think the Westeros lords will take orders from Tyrion (Kingslayer and Kinslayer) they don't forget so easily. If any House decide to follow Dany, the commander would come from their house or their bannermans.

She would not be the first woman Victarion Greyjoy had made a widow.

He would give half his teeth for the chance to try his axe against the Kingslayer or the Knight of Flowers.

Jaime and Loras are both members of the KG, Victarion will fight Barristan

Given that Maekar ended up eventually killing Baelor Breakspear, this comparison might not presage positive future relations between Barristan and Victarion.

Besides, Barristan thinks that he would like to die fighting for his king, he just never imagined that king would be Hizdahr, whom Victarion wants to kill.

The lords would follow Tyrion if they don't want to risk the Mad King's daughter who has three dragons. Tyrion would be her Hand, and the Hand commands the king's (or in this case queen's) armies.

People have brought up this point and it's certainly a valid one, but I think it might be a little hasty to assume that the Dothraki have absolutely zero experience with cold.

I know I'm having a very crazy thought here, but maybe... Just maybe... there have been winters in Essos too? In all seriousness, even if the winters in Essos aren't as harsh in Westeros, it seems unlikely that they have no notion of the concept. And given that the Dothraki have roamed have pretty far across the continent, I can't imagine that they have never encountered snow before. Even if they haven't, I wouldn't be surprised if Dany ends up sacking or threatening several cities on her way to Westeros for supplies: though the Dothraki may have it tough, the problem is not entirely unsurmountable.

She would not be the first woman Victarion Greyjoy had made a widow.

He would give half his teeth for the chance to try his axe against the Kingslayer or the Knight of Flowers.

Jaime and Loras are both members of the KG, Victarion will fight Barristan

Besides, Barristan thinks that he would like to die fighting for his king, he just never imagined that king would be Hizdahr, whom Victarion wants to kill.

The lords would follow Tyrion if they don't want to risk the Mad King's daughter who has three dragons. Tyrion would be her Hand, and the Hand commands the king's (or in this case queen's) armies.

Barristan doesn't think of Hizdahr as his king, that's why he arrests him, damn. ( amongst other reasons )

She actually ordered a cavalry charge at their centre, believing the slaves would not stand before the Dothraki, and utilized the unsullied for an attack on the flanks, while deceiving them about the time of battle and sowing dissension in the ranks of their sellswords.

A plan masterful enough that Ser Jorah ruefully admitted she was Prince Rhaegar's sister after hearing it.

I spoke about the third book battle, which she used absolutely NO military, rather politics to win. In ADWD there isn't a battle before a peace is eventually arranged.

When exactly did Dany order cavalry and flanking and stuff like you just mentioned?

Archived