Second Sons

kothetimeless

Tyrion is Tywin's (possibly Aerys') Second Son.

Jon is Ned's (possibly Rhaegar's) Second Son

Actually on these two I think the most suggestive thing is that, if R+L=J, thery're both third children, whose mothers died giving birth to them. Exactly like Daenerys. That's the only real hint about these three being the three heads of the dragon I find really interesting, even if not enough to be convincing.

Actually on these two I think the most suggestive thing is that, if R+L=J, thery're both third children, whose mothers died giving birth to them. Exactly like Daenerys. That's the only real hint about these three being the three heads of the dragon I find really interesting, even if not enough to be convincing.

Yes! I had a thread about a month ago saying the reason I thought the 3 dragon riders would be Dany, Tyrion and Jon is for that reason alone. I was thinking the "Real" Dragons kill their mother's in the process.

Yes! I had a thread about a month ago saying the reason I thought the 3 dragon riders would be Dany, Tyrion and Jon is for that reason alone. I was thinking the "Real" Dragons kill their mother's in the process.

That is true I hadn't noticed that connection before but It is an interesting one for who are arguably the three main POV characters in the series.

Little known fact: Over 90% of all family units with at least two male children contain a second son.

Really, in a cast with a four figure number of characters, there should be a vast number of second sons. Unless there's a common denominator that sets them apart from first sons (Robb, Jorah, Sam, Joff, Doran, Tywin, Balon, LF, Rhaegar, Jon Arryn, Jon Con, Jon Snow (yep, he's both a first and a second son), Robert, Sweetrobin, ...), there's no theme yet.

Common characteristics that I do see are mainly that while the first son has his place in the world already made, the second son must search for it to escape his older brother's shadow (or accept to be overshadowed, like Kevan or Vicky). This increases the possibility of them joining orders like the KG (Dayne, Aemon the Dragonknight, Bran's plan), and if they do come into their own, it makes that development all the more impressive. But... that's nothing specific to the series, it's just a logical dose of realism.

:agree:

This is called confirmation bias. Sure, there is a lot of badass/interesting second sons, but so is there a lot of badass/interesting first sons and third sons and daughters, as well as some boring/minor second sons.

Archived