The throne defending itself?

Maud

We know that such a thing could be possible since we saw from Jon's POV that the wall was defending itself at some point. The IT is also old and magicaly forged. Also, some belive that Maegor was killed on the Iron Throne by the throne itself and Aerys was repeatedly cutting himself. Joffrey died in the throne room.

Any thoughts?

We know that such a thing could be possible since we saw from Jon's POV that the wall was defending itself at some point. The IT is also old and magicaly forged. Also, some belive that Maegor was killed on the Iron Throne by the throne itself and Aerys was repeatedly cutting himself. Joffrey died in the throne room.

Any thoughts?

I don't think there's any magic in the Iron Throne,I think it's mainly symbolic of the power of someone on it wields.

As for Maegor,It's entirely possible it was just an accidental wound that festered.

Those who had changed their allegiance during the battle needed only to swear fealty to Joffrey, but the ones who had fought for Stannis

until the bitter end were compelled to speak. Their words decided their fate. If they begged forgiveness for their treasons and promised to

serve loyally henceforth, Joffrey welcomed them back into the king’s peace and restored them to all their lands and rights. A handful remained

defiant, however. “Do not imagine this is done, boy,” warned one, the bastard son of some Florent or other. “The Lord of Light protects King

Stannis, now and always. All your swords and all your scheming shall not save you when his hour comes.”

“Your hour is come right now.” Joffrey beckoned to Ser Ilyn Payne to take the man out and strike his head off. But no sooner had that one

been dragged away than a knight of solemn mien with a fiery heart on his surcoat shouted out, “Stannis is the true king! A monster sits the

Iron Throne, an abomination born of incest!”

“Be silent,” Ser Kevan Lannister bellowed.

The knight raised his voice instead. “Joffrey is the black worm eating the heart of the realm! Darkness was his father, and death his mother!

Destroy him before he corrupts you all! Destroy them all, queen whore and king worm, vile dwarf and whispering spider, the false flowers.

Save yourselves!” One of the gold cloaks knocked the man off his feet, but he continued to shout. “The scouring fire will come! King Stannis

will return!”

Joffrey lurched to his feet. “I’m king! Kill him! Kill him now! I command it.” He chopped down with his hand, a furious, angry gesture . . .

and screeched in pain when his arm brushed against one of the sharp metal fangs that surrounded him. The bright crimson samite of his

sleeve turned a darker shade of red as his blood soaked through it. “Mother!” he wailed.

With every eye on the king, somehow the man on the floor wrested a spear away from one of the gold cloaks, and used it to push himself

back to his feet. “The throne denies him!” he cried. “He is no king!”

Cersei was running toward the throne, but Lord Tywin remained still as stone. He had only to raise a finger, and Ser Meryn Trant moved

forward with drawn sword. The end was quick and brutal. The gold cloaks seized the knight by the arms. “No king!” he cried again as Ser

Meryn drove the point of his longsword through his chest.

She wondered how badly Joffrey had cut himself. They say the Iron Throne can be perilous cruel to those who were

not meant to sit it.

I'm not saying it's cursed. But it's cursed.

I would be pretty surprised if there's no real purpose to stories about the Throne being harmful to those who weren't worthy(?) to sit it. Maegor was killed in the chair, or by the chair. Aerys cut himself to pieces on it. And Joffers cut himself when he was addressing the Blackwater captives and the prisoner shouted how 'The Throne denies him. He is no king!' before Trant killed him.

So yes. Someone is going to sit that chair, and then the chair will cut 'em up. Aegon and/or Dany, for my money.

EDIT.

Nyrhex beat me to it, with the full Joffrey quote to boot.

I know characters have said that the throne punishes the Kings that sit on it that are deemed unworthy. I was interested in the premise until Joffrey was virtually unharmed (i think he was like cut once on the arm wasn't he?).

Edit: Just read the reference quoted by Nyrhex. That's what i was thinking of.

The King or Hand seats early in the morning. He accommodates himself so he isn't cut. If he begins to act like Joffrey in that audience, instead of remaining calm, his own aggressive (and childish) movements will cause him to cut himself with the blades. If, instead, he remains in the same position or only moves smoothly, he's less likely to get cut.

And, then again, Aegon never caused as much damage to Westeros as when he designed the most anti-ergonomical chair possible. How many awful decisions kings and hands might have committed because they were bleeding, hurt or plain uncomfortable, thus unable to think clearly?

The King or Hand seats early in the morning. He accommodates himself so he isn't cut. If he begins to act like Joffrey in that audience, instead of remaining calm, his own aggressive (and childish) movements will cause him to cut himself with the blades. If, instead, he remains in the same position or only moves smoothly, he's less likely to get cut.

And, then again, Aegon never caused as much damage to Westeros as when he designed the most anti-ergonomical chair possible. How many awful decisions kings and hands might have committed because they were bleeding, hurt or plain uncomfortable, thus unable to think clearly?

Exactly.

When Aerys called Brandon and Rickard Stark to the Red Keep, he just wanted to have a friendly chat about their daughter/sister's relationship with his son. He even had a whole speech worked out, "I think that all you and I care about is making sure that our loved ones are safe and happy, so I want us all to calmly come up with a plan to find them and prevent them from doing something stupid..." But then he stubbed his toe climbing up the stairs, cut himself three separate times on the throne, and accidentally gave himself a wicked wedgie right as court was coming into session (so he couldn't even pick it out until everyone was gone)...

Its probably nothing but i,ve always liked the fact that Jamie never hurt himself on the throne after killing Aerys.

I like to think that the throne was meant to be his. he just wasn't ready yet

Me too, but that's wishful Jaime :wub:

Archived