The others and Essos

Reinzer

How much of a threat do you think the others pose to Essos?

IMO not a very big one since they would have to cross the Narrow Sea which I dont see happening very soon.

Also Essos has a warmer climate than Westeros which could potentionaly be bad for them.

Some say they come with cold. Others say they bring cold with them. In case of the latter, the Narrow sea, or any sea, could freeze over at their approach. And they are light enough not to leave footprints in snow, a thin ice film is enough for them

I have asked in 100 threads about the weather in Dorne. Because I do not believe the Others 'bring the cold'. Maybe to an extent, but if it is warm and summery in Dorne, I don't see the Others surviving down there. I suppose the same would go for Essos.

Although, Cotter Pyke reported dead things in the sea to Jon, maybe it is a possibility for Bravos or maybe Lorath but I can't imagine them much further south.

The Others bring cold and darkness with them. They do not have to cope with warm climates, since they make their own when they travel.

That's what the Long Night was; they put Westeros and Essos into an endless winter's night.

The Others bring cold and darkness with them. They do not have to cope with warm climates, since they make their own when they travel.

That's what the Long Night was; they put Westeros and Essos into an endless winter's night.

I agree that they do bring another level of cold, but I think they need some cold to start out with. Not 90 degrees and poof it is now 10 degrees. The wiki even says that the First Men fought valiantly but were driven south by the Others advances. I think it has to already be at least somewhat cool to start with.

Essos was affected by the Long Night? Where did you read that?

How big a threat? A big one. The way I always understood it, The Long Night is an ice age of apocalyptic proportions. Snow in Dorne, the narrow sea freezing over, and The Others marching ever onwards. Not to mention that wights appear to be able to survive under the sea, so it's not impossible they could come ashore in Braavos or somewhere.

Essos was affected by the Long Night? Where did you read that?

“Burnt,” said Salladhor Saan, “and be glad of that, my friend. Do you know the tale of the forging of Lightbringer? I shall tell it to you. It was a time when darkness lay heavy on the world. To oppose it, the hero must have a hero’s blade, oh, like none that had ever been. And so for thirty days and thirty nights Azor Ahai labored sleepless in the temple, forging a blade in the sacred fires.

If the others could travel over water in any way than why build the Wall? Makes no sense. I believe that the darkness fell over alot of the world but the others never reached essos. The only evidence we have is the AA myth. We have heard zero about the others in Essos. Zero undead have appeared there now as well. Since the land of always winter is not connected to essos how could they get there and why arent there any myths, sayings, or evidence of them even knowing of their existance besides the AA myth?

If the others could travel over water in any way than why build the Wall? Makes no sense. I believe that the darkness fell over alot of the world but the others never reached essos. The only evidence we have is the AA myth. We have heard zero about the others in Essos. Zero undead have appeared there now as well. Since the land of always winter is not connected to essos how could they get there and why arent there any myths, sayings, or evidence of them even knowing of their existance besides the AA myth?

Do we need to have more than one myth of others coming from the east? AA story clearly a story from Asshai about the others. Surely the Asshai'i would not create a story based on Westerosi myths, right?

We have heard zero about the others in Essos.

Well, the grand enemy of the temple of Rh'llor in Essos is called the Great Other, and is the god of darkness, cold and death.

Well, the grand enemy of the temple of Rh'llor in Essos is called the Great Other, and is the god of darkness, cold and death.

No i mean physically being in Essos. The long night affected the whole world but the others only affected westeros. Is there any evidence to the contrary? If they could cross water/ocean than the wall could be completely useless.

They can obviously at least send wighted creatures through the seas, as Cotter Pyke in his letter from Hardhome mentions dead things in the water. The Wall has magical properties, it's probably more of a magical line in the sand rather than a physical barrier.

ETA: Or at least in addition to being a physical barrier... remember, Coldhands cannot pass under the wall, even when the way is opened.

This will be Prince Doran's ultimate revenge. When the Others have conquered most of the rest of the continent, he will cheerfully allow all of the refugees from the Westerlands, the Stormlands, the North, etc. to find safety in Dorne. All they will have to do is get a passport signed by Dorne's Minister for Immigration, his sister Elia Martell.

They can obviously at least send wighted creatures through the seas, as Cotter Pyke in his letter from Hardhome mentions dead things in the water. The Wall has magical properties, it's probably more of a magical line in the sand rather than a physical barrier.

ETA: Or at least in addition to being a physical barrier... remember, Coldhands cannot pass under the wall, even when the way is opened.

Some undead near the shore where thousands have died (also some could have drowned trying to get on the slavers ships) is very different than traveling hundreds of miles across an entire sea. Again is there any evidence of the others actually setting foot anywhere in Essos? Im not closed to the idea, I think it would make sense, I just dont know of any evidence of them actually setting foot in Essos.

Archived