If Rhaegar had lived...

So I guess this is assuming that Rhaegar killed Robert on the Trident. So he'd mainly have to appease Ned, Jon, and Hoster. Ned would just want justice for his brother and father and know that his sister was treated honorably. Not sure what Jon and Hoster would want. But their loyalist bannerman who were crushed might complicate things.

He would have to lay most of the blame on his father. And almost definitely remove him from power. He would probably have to promise Rhaenys to someone. But yes a few songs would have to be sung to melt his opponent's wives' hearts.

So I guess this is assuming that Rhaegar killed Robert on the Trident. So he'd mainly have to appease Ned, Jon, and Hoster. Ned would just want justice for his brother and father and know that his sister was treated honorably. Not sure what Jon and Hoster would want. But their loyalist bannerman who were crushed might complicate things.

He would have to lay most of the blame on his father. And almost definitely remove him from power. He would probably have to promise Rhaenys to someone. But yes a few songs would have to be sung to melt his opponent's wives' hearts.

DefinteIy agree he has to remove Aerys from power (putting as much blame as possible on his father) and then make amends for not only his father's cruelties, but also some of his own behavior. I agree with you about Ned, Jon and Hoster being the main ones to please, but I also think some gesture would need to be made to the surviving Baratheon brothers as well since technically, Lyanna was Roberts fiance and their betrothal was broken. We know that Dorne was also ticked off at his behavior and lost many men at the Trident (including Elia's uncle), so they need to be thrown a bone as well. Though he did remain neutral during the rebellion, Tywin Lannister would also need to be placated for the past slights he suffered at Aery's hands; he's to dangerous and powerful a player not to appease.

As far as what to offer for appeasements, Rhaegar not only has his children and his brother to offer in marriage, he also has their fosterings. He also has the positions on his Small Council to offer. Who should get what depends on the individual man and the nature of their houses losses and how much power they should be trusted with. Since the Stark family suffered the greatest familial losses and wrongs from Aerys (and since Ned would probably see a council position as more of a punishment than an appeasement), Ned should definitely be given a betrothal for one of his children to either Rhaenys or Aegon. Jon Arryn would still have been married to Lysa I'm assuming, but since they wouldn't have had any children at that point (and given his age, it could not be guaranteed he would before he died) I would imagine he could be given a high ranking council position (HOTK or Master of Coin) as well as fostering one of the royal boys, since he shows obvious ability for it. I'd propose the same deal to Hoster Tully with possibly substituting a marriage to Rhaenys to Edmure if she had already been betrothed to House Stark. As for Tywin, I'd either betroth Viserys to Cersei or release Jamie from his KG vows (if he wants to be released from them) and then give him a position on the small council. How much power to give Tywin would be tricky; he could be HOTK again, but I'd make him Master of Coin instead. As for Dorne and the Stormlands, some combination of council positions to members of their family's combined with a royal fostering.

Bend over and let them fuck him up the arse. There was no way to appease them without ripping the Seven Kingdoms to shreds. At this point, Rhaegar had no choice except to beat them in the field and brutally subjugate their lands.

The choice that would be closest to to working would be to execute Aerys, send Elia and Rhaenys to the Silent Sisters and go to the Wall with Aegon, while abdicating in favor of Jon, with Jon Arryn as Hand and Ned Stark as regent. Of course that would mean war with Dorne, but hey, omelett and eggs and all that. It's still better than the alternatives.

have aerys removed or executed

pardon ned/hoster/jon arryn as long as they swear loyalty to the crown

bones to throw:

lannisters: remove Jamie from his vows, make Tywin master of coin

baratheon: make stannis master of ships

starks: have jon foster at winterfell, offer ned a position at court

tully: betroth rhaenys to edmure

arryn: make him master of something or hand

martell: they already provide the (first) queen and crown prince. No extra compensations needed

I don't think there was any realistic way of Rhaegar beating Bob in single combat in the first place.

But for the sake of this exercise.

There is essentially no way to do it.

He'd have to do what the Lannisters did to the Riverlands appoint new Lord Paramounts.

Also, the Rebellion is not going to stop with Robert's death. They have their backs against the wall, they are still strong in numbers and they have absoutely zero reason to believe that Rhaegar would actually fulfil any of the terms they would be offered.

If Rhaegar had lived but still lost he'd have to suffer with the fact that his wife, their kids and his lover are all dead. Whilst he caused their deaths and the downfall of his house.

If he lived and won then he's going to have to deal with all the mess he made.

A) there's an angry North

B ) Elia and the Martells are going to be pissed

C) he has to appease a lot of people

D) he's going to have to face the consequences of his stupidity

E) if Lyanna lived he's got more mess to sort out

Archived