How good would Daemon Blackfyre have been as King if he had won the Rebellion?

King of Winters

We all know how good Daemon was as a fighter. He's one of the greatest fighters in Westeros of all time, I think, and people loved him, well his Blackfyre supporters anyway.

But when it came down to ruling Westeros as a King, not as a warrior, how good would he have been?

Would he have been like Robert, and thought that winning the Throne is different to ruling, and not bothered in the Kingdom's affairs and let his Small Council make the decisions? Or would he have been a good King and ruled well and make important decisions for his Kingdom and cared about keeping the Seven Kingdoms together?

We don't know. Nor will we ever know. The perspectives we've seen of that era were all colored one way or another. Dornish relations probably would have suffered though, as Daeron sacrificed a lot of popular support at home to start binding Dorne to Westeros and introducing their influence to court.

Daemon Blackfyre was said to be in love with Daenerys I and he even raise a rebellion when denied from her.

However, from his 14 to 26-years-old ( the same time since Daenerys flowered to her marriage to a Martell),Daemon fathered seven sons.

How would you think a man who declared a highborn lady was his soulmate, at the same time he couldn't even keep his lust to himself? To be honest, I wouldn't marry my sister to such a guy, if I was Daeron II.

I think it would have been very difficult to convince a lot of the nobles around to support him fully, given his bastard status.

Daemon was legitimised by that time and had created the House Blackfyre. So he wasn't a bastard then.

Daemon was legitimised by that time and had created the House Blackfyre. So he wasn't a bastard then.

He may have been legitimised, but that doesn't mean everyone will forget about it. Look at Ramsay (I know they're very different, but it's still a point).

He may have been legitimised, but that doesn't mean everyone will forget about it. Look at Ramsay (I know they're very different, but it's still a point).

They may not have forgotten about it, but he was still legitimised and son of two Targs, Daena the Defiant and her cousin Aegon IV. And by the time the Rebellion had started he would have been legitimised for many years.

We don't know that much about his leadership style, but Targaryen warrior kings generally have not been strong on the administrative end. Being willing to plunge the realm into civil war to try to change a settled succession is not really the mark of a great leader.

Perhaps the world book will shed some more light on the personality of Daemon.

He might have been good,Not Jaehaerys good,But probably better than most Targ rulers in after his time.

Power corrupts, there is no such thing as a good king.

We aren't talking of Dumbledore and Power doesn't always corrupt.

He seemed to have been chivalric and fair guy. Most likely he would not have wanted to suppress or exploit his people. But then, he was no man of learning, nor prepared for the rather complicated job of ruling. I doubt that he would have been as bad or uncaring as Robert Baratheon, but the fact that he allowed himself to be talked/manipulated into claiming the crown by other people (Bittersteel, Fireball, Peake, and the like) rather than coming up with this idea by himself is telling.

As King Daemon I, Daemon probably would have become a front for the people who were actually in charge, the people who put him on the Iron Throne. And I don't see Bittersteel as a guy who had a great vision for the Realm, nor would his rule have changed anything. In fact, Daemon I most certainly would have ruined the alliance with Dorne, plunging the Realm into yet another civil war, perhaps even leading to its collapse.

Daemon Blackfyre was said to be in love with Daenerys I and he even raise a rebellion when denied from her.

However, from his 14 to 26-years-old ( the same time since Daenerys flowered to her marriage to a Martell),Daemon fathered seven sons.

How would you think a man who declared a highborn lady was his soulmate, at the same time he couldn't even keep his lust to himself? To be honest, I wouldn't marry my sister to such a guy, if I was Daeron II.

Having a soul mate and having sex are too very different things. The idea that a man with as much power and seeming virility as Daemon Blackfyre would remain celibate for years because he couldn't have the woman he loved is ridiculous. No offense, but that is some feudal chick thinking...

I think Daemon would have been a better king than Robert but not necessarily much better. What's interesting to me still is how Bloodraven sided with House Targ instead of the other Great Bastards. If he had sided with his half-brother, 1) I think Daemon Blackfyre would have won, and 2) Bloodraven would have served as an excellent Hand of the King. But alas...

What's interesting to me still is how Bloodraven sided with House Targ instead of the other Great Bastards. If he had sided with his half-brother, 1) I think Daemon Blackfyre would have won, and 2) Bloodraven would have served as an excellent Hand of the King. But alas...

The targs were as much family as the other bastards to Bloodraven and he had some personal feuds with Bittersteel (they fought over Shiera, for one) and Bloodraven as sorcerer and spymaster is more likely to side with his intellectually-oriented half-bro than his badass warrior half-bro

People speculate that Daemon was actually the brother Bloodraven loved. Then he would only have sided with Daeron because he know this was the right thing or his duty, not because he did loath Daemon. No idea if that's the case.

And by the way: Bloodraven could also refer to an unknown Blackwood half-brother of his.

Daemon seems like a nice guy, I am sure he would have been a good king if he had been born as the rightful heir, but he is probably not as great as he thinks he is. He plunged Westeros into a civil war and got himself killed in the process, I think he is a bit too self centered.

Archived