I hate Targs and love Martells. Do you have conflicted feelings?

Actually, there could be plenty things suggesting he is evil. Regardless of whether I take the time to tell you what they are. And you didn't say "please".

Oh. So that's why I dislike him, is it?

Nope. No point trying to explain anything to you. No point at all. You already know everything.

Yeah now I'm for sure calling troll on your bullshit.

Actually, there could be plenty things suggesting he is evil. Regardless of whether I take the time to tell you what they are. And you didn't say "please".

Oh. So that's why I dislike him, is it?

Nope. No point trying to explain anything to you. No point at all. You already know everything.

While you certainly have the right to the opinion that Doran is evil, that isn't the common perception. If you don't back it up you can't expect people to be swayed by your opinion. There's no need to make disparaging comments about other posters because they aren't impressed by an evidence free statement.

While you certainly have the right to the opinion that Doran is evil, that isn't the common perception.

That's fine.

If you don't back it up you can't expect people to be swayed by your opinion.

That's fine too.

There's no need to make disparaging comments about other posters because they aren't impressed by an evidence free statement.

That's not what I was objecting to. I was objecting to (1) the suggestion that I owe anyone an explanation for my predictions; and (2) his claim that he already knows the reasons for my opinions.

I am happy to explain my opinions to anyone who is interested and polite. But I don't have to. I can just go on record, wait till book 6 comes out, gloat that I was right, and then explain how I knew.

Never thought I'd see these two in a sentence together. How is it conflicting though?

At one point, Barristan says "A man should smell of sweat, not flowers" about Reznak mo Reznak. I know that he was raised with a medieval concept of gender and not everyone is going to be as open minded as Jon Snow but I obviously from my modern point of view I feel the definition of a "man" should be far more inclusive. I respect Satin because despite the pressure on young men to conform to masculine ideals (which are even stronger now that he is at the Wall and not in a brothel in the Reach) he continues to wear the perfume rather than allowing himself to be victimised by patriarchal society. It might be a nitpicky thing and I by no means expect any characters to be perfect, but it's one issue which Barristan and I do not agree on.

At one point, Barristan says "A man should smell of sweat, not flowers" about Reznak mo Reznak. I know that he was raised with a medieval concept of gender and not everyone is going to be as open minded as Jon Snow but I obviously from my modern point of view I feel the definition of a "man" should be far more inclusive. I respect Satin because despite the pressure on young men to conform to masculine ideals (which are even stronger now that he is at the Wall and not in a brothel in the Reach) he continues to wear the perfume rather than allowing himself to be victimised by patriarchal society. It might be a nitpicky thing and I by no means expect any characters to be perfect, but it's one issue which Barristan and I do not agree on.

Oh, wow that was a lot more connected than I thought it would be. I remember reading that in Barristan's chapters and thinking it was definitely an older way of thinking. Kind of funny, but nowadays out of place and very backwards thinking.

I completely agree with your larger point. As a hetero woman though, I've got to say a man smelling like sweat is preferable to a man smelling like overpowering cologne. Especially something like Axe body spray. :ack:

Not that this has anything to do with the topic.

Here's one that keeps me up at night. I like the Tyrell family lots, but they or certain members of their House kinda threw Sansa under the bus. And Sansa is my emotional centre in ASOIAF.

Here's one that keeps me up at night. I like the Tyrell family lots, but they or certain members of their House kinda threw Sansa under the bus. And Sansa is my emotional centre in ASOIAF.

Why do you say that?

I don't think the Tyrells threw Sansa under the bus if you are talking about the poisoning. Tyrion was probably the only person who was supposed to be accused; everyone knew of Joffrey and Tyrion's animosity. It could be used to their benefit with the poisoning.

The entire court knows that Tyrion and Sansa have not consummated their marriage. So when Tyrion was executed, it would leave Sansa as a widow so they can snatch her up for Willas like the plan before. Littlefinger probably screwed up everything by taking Sansa away which made her seem guilty and Mace was probably just accusing people willy-nilly because he wasn't in on the plan.

Why do you say that?

I don't think the Tyrells threw Sansa under the bus if you are talking about the poisoning. Tyrion was probably the only person who was supposed to be accused; everyone knew of Joffrey and Tyrion's animosity. It could be used to their benefit with the poisoning.

The entire court knows that Tyrion and Sansa have not consummated their marriage. So when Tyrion was executed, it would leave Sansa as a widow so they can snatch her up for Willas like the plan before. Littlefinger probably screwed up everything by taking Sansa away which made her seem guilty and Mace was probably just accusing people willy-nilly because he wasn't in on the plan.

I don't know, I think the thing that upset me most was that Sansa was shunned by Margaery and her retinue after the Lannisters wrecked the betrothal to Willas, which to me says that they viewed Sansa merely as a valuable object that slipped through their fingers and not as a person with feelings. But what you said is a kinda nice way of looking at it. It's a conspiracy theory worthy of the Queen of Thorns, in any case.

Conflicted feelings? Only just about everything. I want a happy ending for Dany, but I don't think any Targaryen should sit on the IT ever again. I'm convinced Aegon is fake, but he seems like a nice kid who doesn't deserve whatever horrible fate is awaiting him. I feel I should root for Stannis who is the true king and kind of awesome, but I don't want him to get IT and execute half of my favourite characters or give more power to Melisandre (whom I actually kind of pity). I want the Starks to be united and happy, yet their current storlines are too facinating to stop. I don't want the Lannisters in power (though I want them to keep CR and Westerlands), yet I root for many of them separately and I absolutely don't want anything horrible happen to Tommen and Myrcella.

In short, I want a sort of happy ending for everyone, no matter how naive and impossible. Except for Lord of Light and the Great Other who should just kill each other, to spare Westeros from being overrun by either the Others or Red Priests,. Then there are also the characters like LF, Roose, Cersei etc, who mustn't die yet, because they are too intersting and I'm too eager to see what they're going to do next.

Archived