Did Jon Camp Outside Bran's Cave?

Moon-Pale Maiden

I just got the impression that the COTF's cave was a lot further from the Wall, mostly based on Bran & Friends' travel time.

So did I. They seemed to have been going on and on forever. I thought they had gone far enough to have been near the Lands of Always Winter. Although it would explain how Varamyr's wolves were able to kill those black brothers.

If you buy the Lands of Ice and Fire maps there is a Journeys map that shows the paths that each character has taken over the course of the novels up to DwD. Their paths never came close enough for it to be the same cave, though the river running through the one Jon visits could be the same one that runs through Bloodraven/Bran's cave.

Bloodraven sent them around the long way so that CH could deal out some Old Gods justice on the NW mutineers.

Impossible! Everyone knows the two caves are different, one is east the other is west one is south the wall, the other is north the wall..

..just kidding, nice catch. :-)

If you buy the Lands of Ice and Fire maps there is a Journeys map that shows the paths that each character has taken over the course of the novels up to DwD. Their paths never came close enough for it to be the same cave, though the river running through the one Jon visits could be the same one that runs through Bloodraven/Bran's cave.

Bloodraven sent them around the long way so that CH could deal out some Old Gods justice on the NW mutineers.

They say there are 3 miles in between the two entrances of the same cave.. also, why should people who draw a map know the book to a so fine-grained detail to have ever noticed what the OP suggested? I really doubt they came across such piece of text and discussed it.

I think the OP is stating that Jon was at the southernmost end of the cave (or cave system) and Bran is hanging out at it's other end. But that's an interesting tidbit of information you've given me about the Lands of Ice and Fire maps.

Impossible! Everyone knows the two caves are different, one is east the other is west one is south the wall, the other is north the wall..

..just kidding, nice catch. :-)

They say there are 3 miles in between the two entrances of the same cave.. also, why should people who draw a map know the book to a so fine-grained detail to have ever noticed what the OP suggested? I really doubt they came across such piece of text and discussed it.

Jon's path on his return comes no closer than 80-90 miles west of Bran's. And the maps are official, not the ones you can download from google images.

I think the OP is stating that Jon was at the southernmost end of the cave (or cave system) and Bran is hanging out at it's other end. But that's an interesting tidbit of information you've given me about the Lands of Ice and Fire maps.

It could be the same system, just not likely the cave on the hill and it's backdoor. I would scan and upload but I think that verges on copyright infringement. :)

Jon's path on his return comes no closer than 80-90 miles west of Bran's. And the maps are official, not the ones you can download from google images.

What does OFFICIAL mean here.. did GRRM design them? Is that the reason he doesn't write the books?

Maybe, just maybe, official means he let somebody else have the right to draw and sell them, then gave them a quick look to confirm most important things were all right.. and do you think he could remember such a tiny detail as a "nearly" crossing path? It isn't like you notice it missing on a map easily unless you look for it.

What does OFFICIAL mean here.. did GRRM design them? Is that the reason he doesn't write the books?

Maybe, just maybe, official means he let somebody else have the right to draw and sell them, then gave them a quick look to confirm most important things were all right.. and do you think he could remember such a tiny detail as a "nearly" crossing path? It isn't like you notice it missing on a map easily unless you look for it.

Official means he put his stamp of approval on them, and they don't "nearly" cross paths that's my point the closest they come is 80-90 miles. Bran & Co cross the path Jon took when he went north, and they continue east north east. On Jon's return trip he travels further west.

Official means he put his stamp of approval on them, and they don't "nearly" cross paths that's my point the closest they come is 80-90 miles. Bran & Co cross the path Jon took when he went north, and they continue east north east. On Jon's return trip he travels further west.

You are right.

I am sorry, but your words just confirms my suspects and therefore I don't buy the equation "official == reliable" on this particular matter.

Did somebody make this in paint? because I don't see any locations on this.

I did because it's illegal to scan the map and post it. The path in the middle is the one Jon and the NW take when they head north, the west path is his return trip with the Wildlings, and the east path is the one Bran and Co follow from the Nightfort to the Cave.

Here

Black is Jon's trip north, maroon is Bran & Co, and blue is Jon's return trip.

WoW! A paint-made picture. I should agree with you only for the effort you put into it.

But I will not. Showing me what your map tells you doesn't change the fact that its reliability on the subject is much more questionable than the pieces of text extrapolated out of the books which are a primary source of information. Because if those clues left inside the books can't be considered as "heavily hinting to something" then we can throw away 95% of theories going around this forum and relying on much less evidence yet wider audience than this. This is reality.

WoW! A paint-made picture. I should agree with you only for the effort you put into it.

But I will not. Showing me what your map tells you doesn't change the fact that its reliability on the subject is much more questionable than the pieces of text extrapolated out of the books which are a primary source of information. Because if those clues left inside the books can't be considered as "heavily hinting to something" then we can throw away 95% of theories going around this forum and relying on much less evidence yet wider audience than this. This is reality.

These maps are made using the books, GRRM does a lot more than just writing this series he has input on everything and often times seems to take on too many projects at once. He also has at least one other book coming out before WoW ever makes it to the shelf, and he writes the D&E Tales as well. But even if you ignore the map you can't ignore the fact that going by the books Jon travels farther west on his way back with Ygritte. And since Jon goes farther west he can not run into some one who is going east. The compass points work in the novels the same way they do on earth.

Archived