Why the Daario Naharis hate?

Victarion10

What do we actually see the man once known as Jaqen do?

Just changing his face pretty much. Of course, he did do those other things, but we don't really see it first hand. Daario's betrayal and beheading of the Stormcrows is off-page but it makes sense to give him credit and praise for that too.

Hmm, there might be a possible explanation, since a fair amount of people dislike Dany. So, we're talking about bias.

No, we're talking about the differences in how the characters are perceived, described, and interact with others. "We're talking about bias" is overly simplistic.

I haven't chimed in on this thread until now, but that's a point that I think needs clarification.

I dislike Daario. Quite a bit.

He's a swaggering, garish peacock; and we as readers aren't shown that his arrogance is justified. The nearest equivalent is Bronn: an arrogant, wise-cracking sellsword that everyone seems to like. Why? Bronn was firmly established as a badass before he ever started being a smartass. Daario was established as a prancing jackanapes...and we're still waiting for him to live up to his boasting.

But more importantly, people love Bronn because of how he interacts with Tyrion: their back and forth, Buddy Cop relationship is really fun.

And that is my biggest issue with Daario: his relationship with Dany. Dany fawns over him like a lovesick schoolgirl. Dany obsesses over his prancing swagger as though it's a good thing. Dany can't control herself around Daario...and IMO Dany's biggest character flaw is a lack of self-control. Dany's ADwD chapters are one long string of impulsive (even foolish) decisions, and her tween-crush on Daario is the one that keeps resurfacing to parade in front of the reader's face.

Daario tries way too hard to be cool. There's a reason nobody over the age of 20 ever says the word "swag" in a positive manner. That's enough to stop me from liking the character.

But he turns Dany into a squeeing Twilight fan...and that makes me really hope the dude gets killed by the Yunkai'i.

I just don't get the - absolute proof of a character killing people must be on the page or else they have to be a humble character without an attitude.

Lots of characters don't have on page proof of anything backing up their reputations.

Daario has clearly fought in battles and clearly killed the co captains.

What else is he bragging about so much?

Daario also likes Dany because she is a queen and a Dragonlady. How often would someone like him, a lowly sellsword, get the opportunity to bed someone like her.

And that's why I don't like Daario. He's only in it for the sex. He has no greater plans or motivation beyond that status notch on his bedpost. And his only purpose in the plot seems to be for Dany to be distracted by him. For so little going on with the character, I feel like we've spent way too much time with him.

And that's why I don't like Daario. He's only in it for the sex. He has no greater plans or motivation beyond that status notch on his bedpost. And his only purpose in the plot seems to be for Dany to be distracted by him. For so little going on with the character, I feel like we've spent way too much time with him.

how do you know any of this ? we have not had a Daario POV so we have no idea what his motivation is.

how do you know any of this ? we have not had a Daario POV so we have no idea what his motivation is.

Every bone in my female body tells me that he doesn't give a flying shit about her as a person. And that would be fine if she was on the same page. But she isn't. She's edwarding him and i hope he at least won't start to sparkle...

Puhh I can't quite remember why she did it again...but there was a reason. She also sent her best bloodrider. She clearly thought this to be a formality and didn't see him in any danger. Wasn't it to stop him from doing anything stupid...

Also I'm glad she's still thinking, she's not totally naive yet. She has her doubts sometimes and I'm cheering for every single one^^

Puhh I can't quite remember why she did it again...but there was a reason. She also sent her best bloodrider. She clearly thought this to be a formality and didn't see him in any danger. Wasn't it to stop him from doing anything stupid...

Also I'm glad she's still thinking, she's not totally naive yet. She has her doubts sometimes and I'm cheering for every single one^^

No she was just thinking oh he doesn't love me, I'm acting like an idiot, he is dangerous, I have to send him away.

That's because they combined the storm crows and second sons into one.

Yep and we won't get to see Brown Ben Plumm who has some pretty good lines and advise for Dany, then ditches Dany because she won't use her dragons. Or see Barristan the Bold put some major ownage on Mero the Titans Bastard with just a stave.

Two fave characters and one scene that would show just how badass Ser Grandfather is.

Edit: add. Daario calling Barriston the Bold Ser Grandfather is an example of his over the top cocky attitude. I think Barristan would wipe the floor with Daario's corpse.

Archived