Fill in the Gaping Plot Hole

Riptide

That reminds me of another plot hole. The Ironborn supposedly raid mainly non-Westerosi during regular peacetime (as doing otherwise would be a declaration of war on the Crown as during the Greyjoy rebellion or Dagon Greyjoy's times), meaning their closest targets would be western Essos and, as you mention, the Summer Isles. Both of these locations are enormously far away from the Iron Islands, so how does this even work? Do the Reachmen and Dornish provide safe harbors and anchorage for these constant fleets of Ironborn raiders sailing to and from those locations? Why the hell would they do that?

Besides going by the description of the Dornish coast from the Ironborn debate about whether sending the fleet to fetch Dany and the dragons or not, just sailing past Dorne and to the Stepstones is a very dangerous project in itself, yet they also supposedly do this all the time?

Well, look at Westerner's map of the world, with North America on the left and Japan on the right. On the map they very, very distant, but on a globe that distance looks to be cut by a third. It's possible that these islands/continents are closer than we think.

• 3 weeks later...

Another big plot hole is why the Crown Prince of the North is left with no security, especially in times of war?? Its not like WF is the safest place in the world considering the very same Prince was nearly assassinated/killed 3 times right in WF. The fall of WF is one of the weakest points in the books(IMO).

Thank you.

how could Lynesse Hightower manage to bankrupt Bear Island on her own? i mean REALLY, one woman on the entire island wants jewelry

Jorah Mormont can only extract so much wealth from his (mostly dirt poor) people before they stave. It's not like in modern times where a third of a countries economy is the government.

That reminds me of another plot hole. The Ironborn supposedly raid mainly non-Westerosi during regular peacetime (as doing otherwise would be a declaration of war on the Crown as during the Greyjoy rebellion or Dagon Greyjoy's times), meaning their closest targets would be western Essos and, as you mention, the Summer Isles. Both of these locations are enormously far away from the Iron Islands, so how does this even work? Do the Reachmen and Dornish provide safe harbors and anchorage for these constant fleets of Ironborn raiders sailing to and from those locations? Why the hell would they do that?

Just throwing things out there: maybe they do it for a share of the booty?

Jorah Mormont can only extract so much wealth from his (mostly dirt poor) people before they stave. It's not like in modern times where a third of a countries economy is the government.

I think there's something in the Dance appendix about Bernie of House Madoff.

"One man in a thousand is born a skinchanger, and one skinchanger in a thousand could be a greenseer."

According to that there should be a lot more skinchangers in Westerns. Yet, we haven't seen anyone south of the wall (except the Stark kids) demonstrate this ability.

Unless the Wall was built to keep magic out of the Seven Kingdoms. But somehow the Starks have direwolves and can slip into their skins.

Unless........

"One man in a thousand is born a skinchanger, and one skinchanger in a thousand could be a greenseer."

According to that there should be a lot more skinchangers in Westerns. Yet, we haven't seen anyone south of the wall (except the Stark kids) demonstrate this ability.

Unless the Wall was built to keep magic out of the Seven Kingdoms. But somehow the Starks have direwolves and can slip into their skins.

Unless........

"One man in a thousand is born a skinchanger, and one skinchanger in a thousand could be a greenseer." According to that there should be a lot more skinchangers in Westerns. Yet, we haven't seen anyone south of the wall (except the Stark kids) demonstrate this ability. Unless the Wall was built to keep magic out of the Seven Kingdoms. But somehow the Starks have direwolves and can slip into their skins. Unless........

Well I imagine without the proper circumstances, those skin changers would never realize they had that power.

Not really an issue, since the number of major lords is quite small -- in fact, the Harlaws are the only really powerful lords after the Greyjoys that we know of. This may indicate a change in GRRM's thinking on the relative power of houses in the Iron Islands.

I'll ask it again: do you have any evidence for a different figure?

We only need, what, six major lords (plus the Iron fleet) for minor lords to fill in the rest, and GRRM gave no indication of just how "major" major is. I beleive that the books make little mention of which houses are sworn to each other and so it may be possible some other houses are more major then we thought. (Tell me if "bannerman" means that their is no house intermediate between the two on the feudal ladder, in which case it does seem likely that the Harlaws are the only "major" non-Pyke house.)

Archived