Feminism, The Next Installment

Robin Of House Hill

1. Take the position, and throughout the rest of your life pursue the ideal of the excellent yes. The "we needed a chick" is condescending and demeaning, but don't sell yourself short and don't let yourself be tokenized. I am aware (in a hind part of my brain that I don't examine that much) that some of the opportunities that I've gotten along the way are, at least in some people's mind, because I have lady parts. (Sometimes even explicitly). But, you know, I'm really damn good at what I do, and the fact that I'm a woman has really nothing to do with that. Subject to the caveat in the next numbered point, walk into the situation like you own it, then do own it, because you know, you do now.

2. The caveat is if the thing is something that you are absolutely unqualified to do. Forget about "best' qualifications (that's subjective). I'm a tax lawyer. If someone wanted to give me an opportunity to run a huge commercial litigation, you know what, I would NOT take that on because I'm fundamentally not qualified to do it. I wouldn't say "no" though. I'd put that person in touch with the person I thought would do the best job for them on the matter.

This is good advice, thank you. I do sort of need the extra money, I won't lie. But if I'm honest with myself, no hiring decision is really completely fair. Truth is, it DOES look bad if you have a company full of male, white, Christian people. And I *am* qualified so I guess I should take it.

Plus, there will be many more times where being a female minority will hurt me, so I'll take what I can get.

Archived