Why do people hate Tyrion?

Lady Isobel

Because he raped the slave girl in Essos.

There was something entertaining about Tyrion on first read. He's clever and witty and grey and that's always enjoyable in a character. However, he got old fast. I didn't start disliking him because he committed bad acts. After all, my absolute favorite character is Theon, whose vile actions need no explaining.

It was when I was following along with the Tyrion reread project that I could put my finger on just why I could barely stand him. In my opinion, there is little growth or change with Tyrion. He's the same in the beginning as he is in ADWD, even if in ADWD his outward actions become incredibly vulgar and despicable. Since his first chapter, he has tried to blame everything bad that happens around him on being a dwarf, instead of just owning up to it. It all just rubs me the wrong way.

Also this. Him acting like the victim regarding his marriage to Sansa was incredibly annoying. The Lannisters are the reason why her father, mother, and brother died - gee, I wonder why she is cold to you?

Please look at the context here, I was specifically talking about two major threats Shae was not aware of. Of course Shae chose to stay with Tyrion as he was her customer, why wouldn't she? When he met her, she was travelling with a Lannister host, war is hardly something to scare her.

Shae knew Tywin prohibited Tyrion to bring whores to court. It's a fact. Look it up if you wish.

Anyway, Shae received enough warnings to make an informed decision. That she decided to stay despite the obvious risks is purely her own doing, and no one else is at fault for it. Certainly not Tyrion.

Also this. Him acting like the victim regarding his marriage to Sansa was incredibly annoying. The Lannisters are the reason why her father, mother, and brother died - gee, I wonder why she is cold to you?

I fail to recall any instance where Tyrion wondered why Sansa was cold towards him.

It's fine with me if people like Tyrion, but I find it unconscionable when his defenders claim that he's not a rapist or that Shae deserved to be murdered. It's fiction - it's ok to like characters who do horrible things. I laughed my ass off when Roose told Ramsay not to make him regret raping Ramsay's mother. I would NEVER find that funny in real life. My point is, like Tyrion if you want to, but don't pretend he's not a pretty despicable person at times. My hope for his character is that he either embraces his darker side or that he really tries to begin to redeem himself; I could care less which direction it takes, but I just want him to stop being the entitled, sniveling brat that he becomes in ADwD.

I fail to recall any instance where Tyrion wondered why Sansa was cold towards him.

It's not that he wondered why (he does remind himself several times why she's so miserable), it's that he makes it seem like he's the victim in the relationship, like Sansa is another example of how someone won't love him because he's an ugly dwarf.

3. Told Jaime he killed Joffrey on the night Jaime was saving him from being "executed".

a. Killed Tywin for practically nothing.

Jaime had just admitted that he had lied to Tyrion about his wife being a prostitute and allowed her to be raped. Meanwhile, Tywin had repeatedly abused Tyrion in countless ways and ordered the brutal gang rape of Tyrion's wife solely because of his own pride (that not mentioning his other crimes).

I think my issue with Tyrion, was that my original exposure to his story was spaced several years apart when the books were being released. I had time away from the narratives, and didn't look as closely at his actions in the first three books. Then his character development took a turn for the dark, which is fine, that's the author's choice. For all I know Tyrion's true arc is a descent to ruin arc. Not because he's a Lannister, but because of his hatred of them.

Whatever, I can still enjoy it.

Then I went and read all of the books at once, and I didn't have the spacing. And good lord almighty, the man never stops whining about poor Tyrion! IT. NEVER. STOPS. And then it's hard to not notice the lack of personal accountability, and his penchant for avoiding true responsibility by giving public (and mental) displays of his supposed wretchedness without ever moving to amend those behaviors.

I'm actually more concerned for Dany should he become her adviser, because right now that man is not stable and is in no position to be giving advice to anyone. He and Dany together would be like a South Park perfect storm of Smug, Whining, and "Betrayal".

Shae knew Tywin prohibited Tyrion to bring whores to court. It's a fact. Look it up if you wish.

Anyway, Shae received enough warnings to make an informed decision. That she decided to stay despite the obvious risks is purely her own doing, and no one else is at fault for it. Certainly not Tyrion.

This is getting tedious, I am not talking about Tywin's prohibition but specifically about the death threat, hanging, that Tywin made against the next whore to be found in Tyrion's bed. If you think she was aware of it, please provide the quote.

It's not that he wondered why (he does remind himself several times why she's so miserable), it's that he makes it seem like he's the victim in the relationship, like Sansa is another example of how someone won't love him because he's an ugly dwarf.

Well, he is a victim in that particular instance. And he recognizes that Sansa is as well. Just because someone have bigger problems doesn't make your own go away.

Anyway I can understand that you don't like those aspects, i just don't really share your oppinion :)

Jaime had just admitted that he had lied to Tyrion about his wife being a prostitute and allowed her to be raped. Meanwhile, Tywin had repeatedly abused Tyrion in countless ways and ordered the brutal gang rape of Tyrion's wife solely because of his own pride (that not mentioning his other crimes).

Yeah, I'm aware. I stand by my statements. Tyrion lashed out at Jaime out of pure spite with a bald-faced lie and no one forced Tyrion to rape Tysha too.

Yeah, I'm aware. I stand by my statements. Tyrion lashed out at Jaime out of pure spite with a bald-faced lie and no one forced Tyrion to rape Tysha too.

Even if they didn't force Tyrion to do it, both of them allowed it to happen with Tywin ordering the abuse.

This is getting tedious, I am not talking about Tywin's prohibition but specifically about the death threat, hanging, that Tywin made against the next whore to be found in Tyrion's bed. If you think she was aware of it, please provide the quote.

I'll admit. Tyrion never told Tywin's threat to Shae. Here's what he did say:

“sweetling, this must be our last time together. The danger is too great. If my lord father should find you...”

(Which he then gets cut off by Shae)

“I like your scar.” She traced it with her finger. “It makes you look very fierce and strong.”

(Tyrion immediately tries a second time to warn her)

“It’s not my face that need concern you, it’s my father -.”

(He gets cut off by Shae again)

“He does not frighten me. Will m’lord give me back my jewels and silks now? I asked Varys if I could have them when you were hurt in the battle, but he wouldn’t give them to me. What would have become of them if you’d died?”

(Tyrion then tries for a third time to warn her)

“Have you been listening?” Tyrion said. “You can stay with Lollys if you like, but it would be best if you left the city.”

(Which Shae then replies)

“I don’t want to leave. You promised you’d move me into a manse again after the battle.” Her cunt gave him a little squeeze, and he started to stiffen again inside her. “A Lannister always pays his debts, you said.”

(Then Tyrion tries for the fourth time)

“Shae, gods be damned, stop that. Listen to me. You have to go away. The city’s full of Tyrells just now, and I am closely watched. You don’t understand the dangers.”

(Shae then just ignores it and changes to a completely new topic)

“Can I come to the king’s wedding feast? Lollys won’t go. I told her no one’s like to rape her in the king’s own throne room, but she’s so stupid.”

So sure, Tyrion didn't explicitly tell Shae what Tywin's threat was, but it certainly wasn't due to a lack of trying. And I seriously doubt knowing it would have somehow made her change her decision. Why? Because before the battle of the Blackwater Tyrion made it quite clear to Shae the danger of remaining in KL. Nonetheless, Shae decided to stay:

“Both of them.” Storm’s End was strong, it should have been able to hold out for half a year or more... time enough for his father to finish with Robb Stark. “How did this happen?”

Varys glanced at Shae. “My lord, must we trouble your sweet lady’s sleep with such grim and bloody talk?”

“A lady might be afraid,” said Shae, “but I’m not.”

“You should be,” Tyrion told her. “With Storm’s End fallen, Stannis will soon turn his attention toward King’s Landing.”

Tyrion drew Shae down beside him. “You are not safe here.”

“I have my walls, and the guards you gave me.”

“Sellswords,” Tyrion said. “They like my gold well enough, but will they die for it? As for these walls, a man could stand on another’s shoulders and be over in a heartbeat. A manse much like this one was burned during the riots. They killed the goldsmith who owned it for the crime of having a full larder, just as they tore the High Septon to pieces, raped Lollys half a hundred times, and smashed Ser Aron’s skull in. What do you think they would do if they got their hands on the Hand’s lady?”

“The Young Wolf and Lord Stannis have swords and they don’t scare you.”

How little you know, sweetling. “Against them I have all the power of House Lannister. Against Jaime or my father, I have no more than a twisted back and a pair of stunted legs.”

“You have me.” Shae kissed him, her arms sliding around his neck as she pressed her body to his

And Shae's opinion on the Queen:

“Because of the queen? I’m not afraid of her either.

“I am.”

Then kill her and be done with it. It’s not as if there was any love between you.”

So somebody wanting to be paid for their works is reason enough for you to be okay with them being murdered? As you do realize that she was a whore right?

I would think the fact that there were legitimate threats on her life should be more important than getting paid.

I would think the fact that there were legitimate threats on her life should be more important than getting paid.

Then Tyrion shouldn't expect services from her. It isn't wrong for her to want to be paid and still expect that her safety be provided for.

Then Tyrion shouldn't expect services from her. It isn't wrong for her to want to be paid and still expect that her safety be provided for.

Maybe not wrong, but it's stupid.

I dunno, the vibe I got from her, while reading those chapters, wasn't as much that she wanted to be paid because she was a whore. I read more that she expected Tyrion to treat her like a noblewoman just because she was there with him.

Archived