Is Patchface really...

Dance Layder

Yes, makes sense him being undead.

I get the feeling undead turns people into weird LSD versions of their living selves.

However, Stoneheart is the only example I have of this.

Beric pretty much seemed like the same guy after being undeaded.(though Thoros says he isn't quite the same)

Maybe the drowned God brought him back

No it does not. He was able to do some magic before and the simplest explanation is that he just went crazy. However, that does not mean he is not dangerous.

There is no way, that we know of, how could Others appear south of the wall while it still stands. Also the all known cases of ressurection were performed by a single person, namely Thoros of Myr. And the drowned god performed as much magic as the seven - exactly none.

I get the feeling undead turns people into weird LSD versions of their living selves.

However, Stoneheart is the only example I have of this.

Beric pretty much seemed like the same guy after being undeaded.(though Thoros says he isn't quite the same)

Maybe the drowned God brought him back

My theory is that the longer someone is dead, the less of them returns when brought back. In Beric's case, he only started really losing himself after repeated revivals. In Catelyn's case, she was dead for 3 days, and by then, the only emotions strong enough to remain are hatred, rage, and the desire for vengeance. She is no longer Cat, but Lady Stoneheart.

I think Jon's likely transition into Ghost is an important part of preserving his personality. If and when Mel attempts to bring him back, she may bring back something that isn't Jon... Then the question of how Jon gets his body back (still being inside Ghost) is another matter entirely. Of course this is merely speculation on my part.

Is the Drowned God even real? I don't know, so many gods... And Patchface is not even Ironborn. Although, if the DG could bring people back, maybe Aerys and all the drowned men could be undead. As if unVictarion wasn't enough.

Is the Red God even real? You don't have to be from Essos to be brought back by a red priest.

You can even be a seven worshipper

I don't know that if DG is real it only cares about iron islands.

The locals were saying he banged a mermaid for his life or something. Maybe mermaids are like DG equivalent of angels

From his Wiki page:

"Patchface had washed up three days later, his naked skin white, wrinkled, and, the man that found, Jornmy, him swears to his dying day that the fool's skin was clammy cold. They had taken him for dead, but then he coughed up water, albeit broken in mind and body; the ordeal had taken his memories, and half his wit. Now he is subject to twitches and trembles and mostly incoherent. What happened to him during the two days is unknown, but the fisher folk like to say "a mermaid had taught him to breathe water in return for his seed." It had suggested by Ser Harbert, the castellan of Storm’s End, that it would be kindest for Cressen let the mad boy die, but he had refused, and he now wonders at that decision."

Yea, it really sounds like something Really Weird happened to him. It sounds eerily similar to a revival by fire. And yet, how could anyone have possibly performed the ritual? The mermaid line is likely a huge hint. I am thinking he underwent something similar to the Drowned God teachings, where he was drowned and brought back by some sort of sea-dwelling being. Pretty awesome.

Is the Drowned God even real? I don't know, so many gods... And Patchface is not even Ironborn. Although, if the DG could bring people back, maybe Aerys and all the drowned men could be undead. As if unVictarion wasn't enough.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that every faith like that has some basis is reality. I don't think either the Red or Drowned Ones are at all what people think.

From his Wiki page:

"Patchface had washed up three days later, his naked skin white, wrinkled, and, the man that found, Jornmy, him swears to his dying day that the fool's skin was clammy cold. They had taken him for dead, but then he coughed up water, albeit broken in mind and body; the ordeal had taken his memories, and half his wit. Now he is subject to twitches and trembles and mostly incoherent. What happened to him during the two days is unknown, but the fisher folk like to say "a mermaid had taught him to breathe water in return for his seed." It had suggested by Ser Harbert, the castellan of Storm’s End, that it would be kindest for Cressen let the mad boy die, but he had refused, and he now wonders at that decision."

Yea, it really sounds like something Really Weird happened to him. It sounds eerily similar to a revival by fire. And yet, how could anyone have possibly performed the ritual? The mermaid line is likely a huge hint. I am thinking he underwent something similar to the Drowned God teachings, where he was drowned and brought back by some sort of sea-dwelling being. Pretty awesome.

Its a bit similar to the Night's King thing, with the 'seed'.

Why not.

Several way to be reborn in ASOIAF

R'hllor: Beric, Cat

DG: PatchFace

Other: Wights

Old God: ColdHand, eternal live into the roots

Many-Faced God: Wearing the "Face"

Faith/Andals: Robert Strong?

I'm very curious as to what the hell Qyburn does to those things... And what if someone is able to warg it and go ape?

Is the Red God even real? You don't have to be from Essos to be brought back by a red priest.

You can even be a seven worshipper

I don't know that if DG is real it only cares about iron islands.

The locals were saying he banged a mermaid for his life or something. Maybe mermaids are like DG equivalent of angels

Even if the Red God is not real, one could assume that the red priests have access to some kind of magic that even they don't entirely understand. But, as for Patchface, no priest was there to save him, that would literally be a case of divine intervention. I'm not saying that is not possible, but we haven't seen anything similar related to the Drowned God in the novels. But I'm not against novelty, surely it would be an interesting twist.

Its a bit similar to the Night's King thing, with the 'seed'.

I like this theory. It also explains his death aura mel sees, and the fact that many believe he will be the one to break the wall or will lead the wights. Finally, if brought back by tge others, he could be a greenseer (ubtrained unlike bran or bloodraven), explaining his prophecies. Finally, some say the wildlings at hardhome were firced into slavery, and patchface used to be a slave, so he coukd concievably have some (likely not much) blood of thefirst men.

Plus, I het the feeling the Night's King was either a setup (like maybe Stark and Joramun took him down for their purposes, and thus changed the Night's Watch, ending their original purpose) or he was a little off...definitely into necrophilia either way

There is but one God and his name is Death,

Patchface was probably just adrift drank the seawater,(Salt water), and near hypothermia and got some brain damage, I don't see him being and undead or a major part of anyones story line other than showing her childlike nature and when she abandons him to be an adult

Archived