Most notable cities in Planetos

Welease Woger

I don't think the books are very clear about it (or most probably I wasn't paying enough attention), but I'm a little curious:

Which of the Free Cities is the largest?

Which is the richest?

Which is the most powerful?

Do King's Landing and Oldtown match them in any way?

What about the other cities in Essos, like Qarth and Asshai?

I think Braavos is the richest one, thanks to the Iron Bank, which apparently is the biggest corporation in the entire world. As for which is the most powerful, I don't know, Volantis seems quite threatening, I don't know how Daenerys is going to deal with it in TWoW.

I think Plentos

I don't think the books are very clear about it (or most probably I wasn't paying enough attention), but I'm a little curious:

Which is the richest?

I think Braavos is the richest one, thanks to the Iron Bank, which apparently is the biggest corporation in the entire world. As for which is the most powerful, I don't know, Volantis seems quite threatening, I don't know how Daenerys is going to deal with it in TWoW.

Volantis seems like the largest and most powerful

Braavos is probably the richest

Oldtown and KL probably match up to some of the poorer free cities, just going by thier imports/exports. If you go by money flowing through the cities than KL is probably richer than alot of the free cities because it takes in all of the realm's taxes.

Qarth and Asshai are probably comparable in wealth to KL and a bunch of the free cities because they are the only ports in their area and are HUGE.

And its Planetos, what is GRRTH even stand for anyway? couldn't find an explanation of that.

And its Planetos, what is GRRTH even stand for anyway? couldn't find an explanation of that.

Well, I presume that for native English speakers, Grrth sounds a bit like Earth (to me it sounds more like a dog growling...)

As a native speaker of a romance language, Planetos sounds beautifully to me, but anglophones don't seem to like it at all.

Well, I presume that for native English speakers, Grrth sounds a bit like Earth (to me it sounds more like a dog growling...)

As a native speaker of a romance language, Planetos sounds beautifully to me, but anglophones don't seem to like it at all.

You presume correctly.

On topic, I'm in agreement with the majority that braavos is richest, probably volantis is most powerful, and i don't think any westerosi city matches up to the free cities.

1. Volantis: pure military the strongest, but it's not like they could conquer Braavos, as that's too much out of reach. Still, most powerfull.

2. Braavos: great influence by trade, defeated Pentos once (which is why it's off the list), impossible to conquer.

3. Qarth: the greatest city there ever was or will be. Focuses on trade and it's leadership is fragmented, but surely is capable of great things.

4. King's Landing: Capital of Westeros, not that impressive as the former, but still decent enough to get on the list.

5. Meereen: Bigger and stronger than Yunkai and Astapor combined, the most important city of Slaver's Bay.

I didn't list Asshai or Yi Ti as it is too far away to have a decent notion, although I can imagine them to be greater than King's Landing, maybe even top Volantis. We can't know.

Qarth is definitely very rich, though Braavos is probably the wealthiest.

Volantis is powerful, but I think the New Ghis has quite a power as well.

Though about most we don't know anything - like Asshai, Myr, Qohor etc.

First of all of them: Qarth. The greatest city that ever was or will be.

Out of the Free cities, I'd say Volantis is #1 in overall power, which includes wealth, size etc., while Braavos is #2.

Positions 3-6 go to Pentos, Lys, Myr and Tyrosh, the latter three all being militant since they fight each other.

Positions 7 and 8 go to Qohor and Norvos. Being inland they are likely poorer than their maritime counterparts.

Last goes to Lorath, who nobody seems to mention.

The largest cities in Westeros (KL, Oldtown) probably go in the range of Pentos as far as wealth and size go. They are individually probably more powerful than the Free Cities.

Meereen probably goes in that ranking as well. Yunkai and Astapor are probably along the lines of Qohor and Norvos.

Overall (this is a broad ranking with the items in the tiers in no particular order. We severely lack info on most of these cities)

Tier 1

-Qarth

-Volantis

-Braavos

Tier 2

-Pentos

-Myr

-Lys

-Tyrosh

-King's Landing

-Oldtown

-Meereen

Tier 3

-Norvos

-Qohor

-Lannisport?

-Astapor

-Yunkai

Tier 4

-Lorath

-Gulltown

-White Harbor

Unknowns: Asshai, other far east cities, Ibbenese cities, Summer Islander cities

Which is the richest?

The largest is Braavos or Volantis

Richest: Braavos, Lys or Pentos

Most powerful either Braavos or Volantis

Oldtown may mirror some parts of Pentos ...

Tier 1

-Qarth

-Volantis

-Braavos

Tier 2

-Pentos

-Myr

-Lys

-Tyrosh

-King's Landing

-Oldtown

-Meereen

Tier 3

-Norvos

-Qohor

-Lannisport?

-Astapor

-Yunkai

Tier 4

-Lorath

-Gulltown

-White Harbor

Pretty similar to what I think. Id probably place Oldtown in Tier 1. Pentos (And maybe KL) seems like it would fit in "Tier 1.5".

Archived