Borroq

Clarrisa

Hi

New to the forum and the books (just read them this year!) and I've a question about Borroq. He is the skinchanger with a boar who passed through the wall with the other wildlings toward the end of Dance with Dragons. He stays in the ancient tombs by the lichyard of Castle Black and "prefers the company of men long dead." Ghost doesn't like the boar and perhaps him, the book isn't that clear. He is the last through the wall when Jon thinks his boar is about to charge.

"He gave a snort and lowered his head, and for half a heartbeat Jon thought he was about to charge. To either side of him, his men lowered their spears.

"Brother," Barroq said,"

Could "Barroq" actually be someone else, someone from the Night's Watch from before? I can't figure out why else he would call Jon "brother". Could he possibly be something like a wight?

Its funny because I'm pretty sure my first post ever when I finished the books and discovered the forums dealt w/Borroq. Definitely an intriguing character. At the time, I thought it was possible he was involved in Jon's assassination somehow - that the stabbers were possibly being controlled by external forces. Still could be, albeit unlikely.

Hi

New to the forum and the books (just read them this year!) and I've a question about Borroq. He is the skinchanger with a boar who passed through the wall with the other wildlings toward the end of Dance with Dragons. He stays in the ancient tombs by the lichyard of Castle Black and "prefers the company of men long dead." Ghost doesn't like the boar and perhaps him, the book isn't that clear. He is the last through the wall when Jon thinks his boar is about to charge.

"He gave a snort and lowered his head, and for half a heartbeat Jon thought he was about to charge. To either side of him, his men lowered their spears.

"Brother," Barroq said,"

Could "Barroq" actually be someone else, someone from the Night's Watch from before? I can't figure out why else he would call Jon "brother". Could he possibly be something like a wight?

He may call Jon brother because he is a fellow skinchanger/warg. However, I agree its strange that Ghost reacts so to him, as he was much more docile than this with Varamyr Sixskins and his menagerie

Hi

"Brother," Barroq said,"

Borroq can recognize that Jon is also a skinchanger, hence, calls Jon "brother." I think there is a passage that says that skinchangers can recognize the power in another person. Maybe the Varamyr Prologue, can't remember where for sure.

This?

“Brother,” Borroq said. “You’d best go on. We are about to close the gate.”

“You do that,” Borroq said. “You close it good and tight. They’re coming, crow.” He smiled as ugly a smile as Jon had ever seen and made his way to the gate. The boar stalked after him. The falling snow covered up their tracks behind them.

I read it as a typo, Jon is saying brother to Borroq since he's a skin changer as well.

“Brother,” Borroq said. (Borroq)

“You’d best go on. We are about to close the gate.” (Jon)

“You do that,” Borroq said. “You close it good and tight. They’re coming, crow.” He smiled as ugly a smile as Jon had ever seen and made his way to the gate. The boar stalked after him. The falling snow covered up their tracks behind them. (Borroq)

It is clearly a conversation: Borroq, Jon, Borroq.

• 9 months later...

Following the assassination attempt, if Jon's spirit lives through Ghost, then I suspect Borroq to be the character who will be able to recognize that Jon is still within Ghost. Or if Jon is revived by Mel, I assume he will have a stronger grasp on his warging abilities and Borroq will be there to help Jon strengthen his ability.

Archived