Fantasy F1, anybody?

Corvo Attano

I don't know how many people around here are interested in Formula 1, but I would love to run a fantasy football-style competition with this year's F1 season.

Basically, everyone will be assigned a set budget, and will buy 2 drivers and 1 car. Obviously, everything will not be the same price - the price of each driver & car will depend on where they finished in last year's championship, and also how things are shaping up with testing & such so far this year. Points will then be awarded to each driver & car based on their results this season.

Ideally we would need 11 competitors (no judges or anything will be needed), but it could work with less.

Who wants to play?

:)

Okay, so here's a more comprehensive overview of the rules then:

Each person will be a team - the teams will not be the same as the real life ones, and you can call it whatever you like. The competition will follow the 2014 Formula 1 season, and will use the same points scoring system (25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 for the top 10 finishers).

Each competitor will be given a budget of £40 million, with which they will buy two race drivers and 1 car. The price for each driver & car is as follows:

Race Drivers

Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) - £30 million

Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) - £13 million

Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) - £30 million

Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) - £28 million

Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) - £28 million

Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) - £27 million

Jenson Button (McLaren) - £25 million

Kevin Magnussen (McLaren) - £16 million

Romain Grosjean (Lotus) - £18 million

Pastor Maldonado (Lotus) - £12 million

Nico Hulkenberg (Force India) - £15 million

Sergio Perez (Force India) - £14 million

Adrian Sutil (Sauber) - £12 million

Esteban Gutierrez (Sauber) - £8 million

Felipe Massa (Williams) - £14 million

Valtteri Bottas (Williams) - £10 million

Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso) - £8 million

Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso) - £7 million

Jules Bianchi (Marussia) - £5 million

Max Chilton (Marussia) - £3 million

Kamui Kobayashi (Caterham) - £4 million

Marcus Ericsson (Caterham) - £2 million

Cars (Engine supplier in brackets)

Red Bull RB10 (Renault) - £12 million

Ferrari F14T (Ferrari) - £10 million

Mercedes W05 (Mercedes) - £12 million

Mclaren MP4-29 (Mercedes) - £9 million

Lotus E22 (Renault) - £7 million

Force India VJM07 (Mercedes) - £7 million

Sauber C33 (Ferrari) - £5 million

Williams FW36 (Mercedes) - £6 million

Toro Rosso STR9 (Renault) - £4 million

Marussia MR03 (Ferrari) - £2 million

Caterham CT05 (Renault) - £2 million

The method of who gets to choose who will be determined by a random pick. Everybody wishing to participate should post a number between 1 and 1000, and once everybody has done that, a random number will be selected, and whoever's number is closest to that will have first pick. It will then go in descending order of how close the numbers are to the randomly chosen one.

Once everyone has chosen and everything has been set up, everyone will be given a startup capita of £10 million. Any time one of your drivers wins a race you will be given £1 million, and every time one of your drivers retires out of a race you will lose £1 million (although you cannot go into negatives, if run you out of money you will not lose any more for further retirements). The main purpose of this In-season money is to facilitate trades between teams - competitors are allowed to make trades at any point during the season of drivers and/or cars (e.g. "I'll give you Perez and £5 million if you give me Grosjean" or something along those lines), although everybody must have two drivers and one car at all times, no more and no less.

Any Questions/Issues? :)

Kevin Magnussen (McLaren) - £20 million- I think that is an over- valuation . He should be in Perez range .

Force India should be at least 1million less than the Lotus based on last year's performance .

I've put Magnussen down to £16 million, how does that sound?

I think the fact the the Force India has a Mercedes powertrain whereas the Lotus has a Renault one may be a crucial factor in the first few races.

Any Questions/Issues? :)

My only suggestion would be that choosing drivers and cars be alternated in order rather than one person picking their entire team, the next person picking their entire team and so on. Otherwise if you're last in the picking order you could end up either with only options left that you can't afford, or nothing worth having, through no fault of your own (not that such an eventuality is ruled out by alternation, but it means everyone is likely to have at least something they wanted). That could be a PITA to arrange though.

In any case, I'll go with #497.

Archived