Tyrion's bit of Targ blood

Hippocras

A lot of us think Tyrion is at least a little bit Targ but there is lots of debate on where his Targ blood came from.

1.One strong possibility is that he has a Plumm ancestor, so is a descendant of Elaena (and suspected Alyn Velaryon).

2.Another idea that has come up is that he may be a product of rape - bastard of Aerys.

3.I think we should also look at the idea of him being descended from Duncan the Small. I initially though his descendants died at Summerhall, but there seems to be no evidence of that.

Duncan is interesting not because Tyrion is small, but because his family, aside from Tywin, seems to have a pattern of falling in love with women who are much lower social status. Tyrion did, Gerion did, Tytos did, etc. Most of them, except Tywin in his later years, and Cersei who loves only herself, have a touch of the romantic in their personalities.

There is also a certain family tendency for some members to shy away from authority. Jamie does, Kevan does, etc. which could be an echo of Duncan refusing the throne and choosing love.

It might also provide an alternative explanation for Tywin's pathological dislike of being mocked and his desire to be feared. Perhaps his family had been put down and ridiculed for Duncan's decision, and Tytos's actions reinforced it. When Tyrion married Tysha that was the last straw.

I tend to lean towards the first one. I think that would the most likely explanation as it is certainly plausible as we have no info on all of Tyrion's ancestors. Elaena's children would have made desirable matches, and lords tend to marry within their regions for the most part. Her children could have married into other Western houses that married into the main branch of House Lannister or married into houses that married into houses that married into House Lannister, or a few more times removed.

If Duncan had any children it would have been mentioned.

I definitely go with the Plumm heritage. Everything we know about the Plumms are brought to us by Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion (except from BBP himself). It looks like a pattern. In this thread, we brainstormed on various possibilities of a Plumm ancestry.

I definitely go with the Plumm heritage. Everything we know about the Plumms are brought to us by Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion (except from BBP himself). It looks like a pattern. In this thread, we brainstormed on various possibilities of a Plumm ancestry.

Plumm blood is likely. It is interesting that all Plumm knowledge we have comes from Tywin's kids and Brown Ben, but the fact that Tyrion doesn't mention any family connection when interacting with Ben leads me to believe that if they are related Tyrion at least doesn't know it. He could have picked up his Plumm lore from his voracious reading. Cersei and Jamie could have just remembered what he said. Doesn't mean there's no relation, of course.

Plumm blood is likely. It is interesting that all Plumm knowledge we have comes from Tywin's kids and Brown Ben, but the fact that Tyrion doesn't mention any family connection when interacting with Ben leads me to believe that if they are related Tyrion at least doesn't know it. He could have picked up his Plumm lore from his voracious reading. Cersei and Jamie could have just remembered what he said. Doesn't mean there's no relation, of course.

I got the impression that Tyrion knows much more than he revealed about the Plumms. A distant kinship can be pronounced later.

Yes it is obvious in many chapters that Tyrion's POV chapters don't reveal everything he thinks. He also knows a lot more about fAegon than he let on as well.

I agree with this. I have a feeling that he figured out Aegon is fake. The main reason for me to think like that is this:

Young Griff jerked to his feet and kicked over the board. Cyvasse pieces flew in all directions, bouncing and rolling across the deck of the Shy Maid. “Pick those up,” the boy commanded.

He may well be a Targaryen after all. “If it please Your Grace.”

Archived