Arya's next step

Ice Turtle

Hi all, first post here, but I really couldn't resist this thread...

I agree she has to go to KL to finish her list, but first she has some more learning to do. I think she'll stay another chapter or two, maybe even more, with the FM.

I couldn't agree more. I think there are several reasons why she will complete her training with the FM.

1) Character development.

Arya has been around some very dangerous people, Jaqen and the Hound especially. It seems to me that she will become as dangerous as those two, if not more. Plus, her development parallels that of Sansa, who has learned intrigue from Cersei and LF, not to mention Tyrion. Both will become major players in the overall story before the end and need the skills to do so. If she doesn't finish her training she just won't have the power needed to get revenge for her family.

2) The FM are killers....

... And are unlikely to punish her for killing. Yes, they are cold killers, and want reliable agents, but they also follow a death cult. Killers must have the killer instinct and urge, and I would assume that a good trainee is one who has those, but progressively learns to control them. In other words, as a FM trainee, Arya is probably expected to kill now and then anyway. If she is blamed for anything, it will be for sloppy work or focussing on personal revenge more than the killing itself. But the FM are unlikely to kick her out for killing now and then ; after all, Jaqen did go out of his way to kill for her. Also...

3) ...Arya is very valuable to the FM.

- She is a westerosi noble girl. Since they are based in Bravos, I think they value westerosi recruits immensely. Especially young nobles who know about castle life and such.

- She is Arya, of House Sark. And as far as everybody knows, one of only two Starks still alive, making her the possible heiress to the North if something happens to Sansa. And the FM are interested in wealth after all.

- The FM have a hidden agenda. The books make it clear that the FM are an important player in the larger picture (the magical/religious conflict behind the scenes). And the Stark bloodline is not only important politically, but has shown some supernatural abilities as well. If the FM are well informed, they may even know that Arya has potential as a Warg... And want her to use her powers on some very large and dangerous animal...

4) One of GRRM's favorite literary devices

One of the things he likes is to have a character disapear at some point, only to make a surprise come-back. Often some characters can be presumed dead and pop up later, and/or reappear under a different name. Barristan, Reek, and the Griffs are the most obvious examples of "name-change", but we all know there are many other characters who also are not what they seem... Patchface and Lemore to name but two. Arya is perfect for such surprises. She can disapear from Essos in one chapter (even be presumed dead, although that would be an obvious trick imho), and reappear as a totally different, seemingly unimportant character, in another character's POV. Arya is going to become a "Deus ex machina" in the story, making surprise appearances where no one really expects her. I expect her POV to vanish for some time after the end of her training, as she will be, at least temporarily "no one" and be seen from the perspective of another character.

____

On a different note, I think no one mentioned the true significance of the Mercy chapter. Which is, I believe, about sex. We have been used to seeing Arya as a child, but in this chapter she is "raped", touches "cocks", and both flirts or is flirted with. I think GRRM wants the idea to sink in that she is no longer a child, but a young woman by the standards of her world. After all, how old is she now? 12? 13? Dany was 13 when she was married to Drogo, and this world is a patriarchal medieval one. Given her line of work, it is now obvious that Arya will use her feminity as a weapon (as she already has), and likely be trained to impersonate any female character, including the role of a courtisan/whore. At the very least, GRRM is giving himself options to do whatever he wants with Arya with this chapter. I know we all want her to keep some of her innocence, but with this chapter GRRM is really telling us that's not going to happen.

____

So what's her "next step" ? There are two obvious possibilities, which might mean that she will end up somewhere else. Nevertheless:

1) Winterfell/the Dreadfort.

She is a northerner and a Stark to boot, and the Iron Bank has been dealing with Stannis lately. Having such a powerful FM agent in the north would make sense from a bravosi perspective. It the Others don't kill everyone first, she may very well end up against Ramsay. I think Roose is most likely to be removed for Ramsay to become the true villain in the north. Arya is the best person to get rid of him for so many reasons I just can't bother listing them all. And of course, as some have speculated, she could even impersonate... Fake Arya, which would be splendid.

2) King's Landing

She knows the place and the people there, and needless to say, the Lannisters aren't exactly on good terms with the Iron Bank right now. Her most obvious target is Cersei, being the last one on her list, but Cersei is Jaime's to kill... Or is she?

Dolorous Lothston beat me to it, but do we really know what "Valonquar" means? We think it means "little brother", but as far as I know the only major character who really knows Valyrian well is Dany. It would be delightful to learn at some later point that it can also be translated as "little/younger sister", in which case Arya is the Valonquar of House Stark. Neither Cersei nor the readers would see it coming.

One of the reasons I came up with this idea is that, in spite of all that's happened between them I find it hard to believe that Jaime could kill his twin sister. In order to see that happen, she would have to become both utterly mad and dangerous, possibly after losing both Tommen and Myrcella, but still retaining the throne and threatening thousands of lives. That is a possibility of course, but I find it hard to see how she could both lose her children AND remain in power.

On the other hand, Arya has her list of names to "cross", and Cersei has many enemies willing to pay the fee for a FM to get rid of her, even as a mere precaution. Given ASoIaF's feminist tones, I could totally see the most (politically) powerful female character of the series being removed by another woman. Of course, this means Sansa might also get some form of revenge on Cersei first...

3) A big surprise.

I don't see Arya getting rid of UnCat, at least not in human form. But as I said... "Deus ex machina". In the future, she could end up anyone, anywhere. If GRRM/the Gods are cruel, she could even be ordered to kill people we "like": Tyrion, Dany, Aegon, Rickon (if he threatens Stannis), Stannis (if he proves difficult to deal with for the IB), Jon, Sansa... Obviously, it would be very dramatic to see any major character be assassinated by faceless-Arya. I'm looking forward to being surprised.

I know I've already said that I think Arya is headed to KL next. And that still makes thew most sense. But the one thing that bugs me is the fact that Arya speaks High Valyrian. The Waif taught her. So if Arya goes home forever, her language skill is like this gun hanging on the wall that never goes off.

Dany could use her help with the Sons of the Harpy. But I can't see what would make her move in that direction. Unless she thinks she has to go East to reach the West.

I really wanted to see Arya get to be the one to kill Cersei. Was thinking the FM would send her there on that mission, but as someone pointed out to me, she can't be assigned to do that because she already knows Cersei. I think that is just a silly rule the FM have, since their whole purpose is assassinating people. Seems like it could, in many cases, make the job easier.

Well after being on this thread for awhile I have figured out both good news of Arya's future and bad news of her future. The good news is that she is the one character who could go anywhere and do anything to effect the story changing it in an unexpected way for us and the other charters. The bad news is she could go anywhere and do anything, so non of us will ever agree on anything related to her future....

INT. DAY. OFFICE.

The Sealord of Braavos is sitting at his desk. His intercom buzzes.

SECRETARY (V.O.)

Sir, Mr. Nestoris is here to see you.

SEALORD

Send him in.

Enter Tycho Nestoris and a knight.

TYCHO NESTORIS

M'lud, may I introduce Ser Justin Massey? He represents King Stannis Baratheon, who we intend to see seated on the Iron Throne.

JUSTIN MASSEY

Alright, chum, know any sellswords?

SEALORD

Don't tell me you don't have an army in Westeros, my dear fellow?

JUSTIN MASSEY

Oh, we certainly do, papa. In fact, we've recently come into possession of Arya Stark, one of the only surviving heirs to Winterfell, which will help rally the North to our cause.

SEALORD

(arches eyebrow) O rly?

CUT TO:

INT. DAY. THE HOUSE OF BLACK AND WHITE

The Kindly Man is instructing his students.

KINDLY MAN

...and that's how you cut off a man's genitals and stuff them in his mouth before he dies. Now, let's talk eye-gouging.

SFX:

Phone rings

KINDLY MAN

Excuse me. (answers) Yello?

SEALORD (V.O.)

Darling, it's the Sealord. Didn't you say you took on some Westerosi gel?

KINDLY MAN

Yes, Arya Stark. Quite the little murderess! We're training her up -

SEALORD (V.O.)

Well, you'll have to stop, I'm afraid. We've got a fortune riding on this Stannis chap to be king over there, you see, and he's banking on this little charmer to drum up support. Politics, darling. Terribly sorry. Tell you what, I'll owe you a bottle of wine, what what?

And that's how Arya gets back to Westeros

I really wanted to see Arya get to be the one to kill Cersei. Was thinking the FM would send her there on that mission, but as someone pointed out to me, she can't be assigned to do that because she already knows Cersei. I think that is just a silly rule the FM have, since their whole purpose is assassinating people. Seems like it could, in many cases, make the job easier.

FM rules don't apply. Arya's on her own.

Well, I do not think they would kick her out, a high born girl that doesn't mind wading around in the muck and is one of the hardest workers they've probably seen in a while that can also kill, and kill in ways nobody sees who did it? I mean, all they did last time she went off book is jump her training forward.

If Izembaro reports back saying that she's a fantastic actress, or maybe that's not how it works, maybe someone was shadowing her to see how fully she dove into the Mercy personality can report back saying she was great.

Maybe you are right, but throwing out candidates like her because she's got a list of like 10 people she wants to kill seems wrong, they should just kill everyone on her list to get it over with.

I agree. A lot of people have the FM figured out wrong in my opinion. The hardest part of training someone to kill isn't in the techniques, it's in training them to be willing to kill. (That fact, btw, is established in the Brienne chapters.) The fact that she shows herself willing is why they accepted her into their training.

In fact, that began when Jaqen H'gar gave her the coin that got her to the HoBaW. He saw that she was, at the age of 11, already ruthless enough. Jaqen gave her the iron Faceless Man coin (literally - the coin had a head on one side with no face - Arya mistakenly assumed that the features had been rubbed off) right after the "Weasel Soup" incident, when one would think he would have been mad at her for manipulating him by naming HIM as the 3rd victim. I think that establishes a pattern for FM behaviour towards Arya.

They also probably consider her a rare asset to acquire because she's female, and they don't have many of those if any. She can go places and target victims for assassination in ways that they can't.

I don't see how that follows. Arya's position in Westerosi society makes her a valuable asset to in internal Westerosi power players.

What makes her valuable to the FM is that she's willing and able to kill and is getting very good at blending in and being unremarkable to the point of invisible.

Her knowledge of the layout of KL is only valuable to them if there's a contract there, and if there were why would we assume it wouldn't go to Tobho Mott? He's had many years in KL in which to work out a way in and out of the castle or other key entries/exits.

The IB is likely a very good repeat customer for the FM, but for them to see a special value in Arya they'd need to know who she really was, and I don't think the FM are into advertising things like that. They aim for an eradication of the self, using her true identity as a bargaining chip is out of character for them.

I'm seeing it as less and less likely that the FM will choose to send her back there, so to return she'll have to split from them and find other means.

I don't see how that follows. Arya's position in Westerosi society makes her a valuable asset to in internal Westerosi power players.

What makes her valuable to the FM is that she's willing and able to kill and is getting very good at blending in and being unremarkable to the point of invisible.

That's assuming the FM don't dabble in politics and are mere "hitmen". It's a possibility of course, but their history, as well as their actions in Westeros suggest otherwise.

If not the FM themselves, they at least have a wealthy employer using them for something mysterious in Westeros (Varys?).

Of course, the FM are not "political" players per se. But they did originate in Valyria, have supernatural/magical abilities, and have an agent in the Citadel. It seems they may very well have motives of their own for using Arya as much more than an assassin.

Remember when Arya was taken to the secret room where there were other FM asking her why she wanted to join who ever they were it is safe to say they knew who Arya was. And it would be safe to say then some of those FM who wore those faceless masks were members of great importance and in position of influence with foreign governments including in Westeros and even possible IB members.

Why would Arya going back to Westeros help Stannis gain the North.

Cos she's an heir to Winterfell - as far as Stannis and Braavos knows, the only Stark left alive except Jon Snow (a bastard) and Sansa (a Lannister regicide who's nowhere to be found). The Northern lords are quite keen to have a Stark back in Winterfell, and holding Arya - and possibly marrying her to an ally - will help Stannis get them on side.

Not saying Arya would go along willingly, but it might be enough to get her onto a ship headed for Eastwatch.

LOL. What did phones look like in Braavos? :-p

Well it was a pretty old society: http://goo.gl/3UikLa

FM rules don't apply. Arya's on her own.

I definitely think Arya is using the FM just as much as they are using her. She was told to give up all her possessions, forget her past and become no-one. All the while Arya keeps lying, and dreaming of being a wolf.

I think Mercy was on a FM mission, but seized a freelance opportunity to scratch a name off her list, Sweet Raff.

So all in all Arya's next steps will take her wherever her list dictates.

Remember when Arya was taken to the secret room where there were other FM asking her why she wanted to join who ever they were it is safe to say they knew who Arya was. And it would be safe to say then some of those FM who wore those faceless masks were members of great importance and in position of influence with foreign governments including in Westeros and even possible IB members.

A lot of speculation in there. I could see that the interview would be with important people within the FM, but how much "influence" any of them held outside the organization is unproven. Unless perhaps you have something more persuasive?

What's clear from the story is that people of influence on both sides of the narrow sea occasionally use the FM, as do people of little means. I from time to time employ a plumber, that does not make him an influential person in my life. I suspect the IB and folks like littlefinger have a similar opinion.

I am not yet convinced that Martin has foreshadowed Arya’s “next step” as clearly as he has in past POV’s entitled “Arya”. However, the forces of the Old Gods deliberately guide Arya to Braavos for a purpose. The “nameless, faceless” gods of the north are too similar to Him-of-Many-Faces, who is also nameless by simple virtue of having alternating faces, and faceless by having not one fixed countenance.

I am leaning toward Martin’s hints planted in Arya’s dream. She hunts with Nymeria across the narrow sea, leading a great pack:

“The smell of blood was heavy in her nostrils… or was that her nightmare, lingering? She had dreamed of wolves again, of running through some dark pine forest with a great pack at her hells, hard on the scent of prey”.

It is possible the lost direwolf and Arya will unite at some juncture.

Even more definitive is Bran’s presence in Arya’s dream. He is the tree watching her as she ran:

“Her true name was Mercedene, but Mercy was all anyone ever called her…

“Except in dreams. She took a breath to quiet the howling in her heart, trying to remember more of what she’d dreamt, but most of it had gone already. There had been blood in it, though, and a full moon overhead, and a tree that watched her as she ran”.

Arya’s next steps may involve guidance from her greenseeing brother Bran.

Arya returns to the HoB&W after performing in The Bloody Hand. She will proudly confess her “kill” because her victim is a “gift” sent by Him-of-Many-Faces, which is how she may rationalize her murder. Regardless, the kindly man and others definitely know about Arya’s potential powers as a Stark of Winterfell. Truly, the kindly man parallels BloodRaven who sees with a 1000 eyes and one. “They” are keeping track of her. Arya is not done in Braavos – nor is she done killing and seeking vengeance in the name of justice.

Even though she leaves the mummers, Martin will have Arya recall the night she was raped and murdered on the Gate stage in her later POV’s.

Arya is not done in Braavos – nor is she done killing and seeking vengeance in the name of justice.

This makes me sad but you are probably right.

About the old gods, on the map of Braavos you can see the Sealord's palace with its garden and even menagerie and I believe that Arya will visit it. If any meetings with old gods happens it will be there.

Hey all. Second time posting, first time actually introducing myself. Hullo.

Knowing how George RR Martin doesn't like his characters to stay too comfortable for long, I forsee Arya deviating from her current pattern of gaining new assassin skills and facing more dangerous situations instead. In other words, I think things have been going too smooth for her as of late.

My biggest concern for her is what she would do when she finally returns to Westeros. Will she continue on her path of revenge? Will she be forced to adhere to the code of the Faceless Men? Will she reunite with her family? Seeing the fate of the Starks, I am inclined to come up with some worse case scenarios. If she were to die, I would think that it would be due to some of her past actions.

1) Arya abandons the Faceless Men after graduating from her apprentice status and taking an oath. They are forced to put a hit on her. I'm not sure how the rules of the Faceless Men work, but they were a bit unhappy with Arya killing for her own purposes.

2) She goes on a mission to kill someone in King's Landing, probably Qyburn or Robert Strong who have likely cheated death, or Cersei. I reckon that she will be disguised as a Lannister guard or something to get in the Red Keep. From what I understand the BWB is in the general region with Lady Stoneheart as their leader, which could provide Arya with a chance of reunion. If Arya abandons the Faceless Men before she can change faces at will, Lady Stoneheart might mistake her for a Lannister and has Arya hanged.

3) Arya crosses paths with Nymeria. From what we have seen with other characters, very few actions go without consequence. Arya drove Nym away by throwing rocks and yelling at her, which could make Nym distrustful of humans. Now that Nym is wild and has amassed a pack of wolves (which have tasted human flesh), their reunion might not be so sweet. If Nymeria attacks Arya, she might be forced to warg into her direwolf and become a true she-wolf.

Archived