So Tired of the Brienne/Jaime shippers

OrangeStallion

Come on guys, they're not falling in love, at least not romantically. They are having a great and growing relationship based on an unlikely friendship and mutual understanding. Just because a man and a woman hang out together and become close friends doesn't automatically mean that they will end up having sex and a secret baby.

Why start threads about stuff you hate? Oh, right... Because some people love to hate everything :lmao:

I perfectly agree that just because a man and a woman hang out together and become close it doesn't have to lead to romance, I'm very much with you. But if you think their relationship is just friendship you haven't been paying attention, especially from Brienne's side of things. She just can't stop thinking, or shut up about him, which is what gets her in trouble in the first place. Jaime's feelings, admittedly, are nor as clear as Brienne's and it could go either way. Still, when you have a character in love with another, you're already beyond platonic friendship. Even if Jaime didn't return Brienne's feelings it would be beyond platonic, it would turn into unrequited love.

I think the thing you have to bare in mind when it comes to "shipping" (I'd never heard that term until I started coming to this forum.) is that while say shipping two characters who are in no way connected say Sansa stannis which I have seen before is a little absurd and fan ficcy at best. Shipping two characters who are actually interacting in text in a manor which can easily be interpreted as flirtatious such as Brienne & Jamie is just reading a book and grasping that there are romantic feelings flying around this duo.

Ditto for sansa & Sandor, its there in text its not "clear" in the way say Gilly & Sam is but do you really have to be hit round the head with a 2x4 in order to pick up on anything? I prefer my books to be subtle & make me think and consider etc...

Jon Val again has text support they flirt with each other, Mel Jon is one sided, But its there too, though hell only knows what her actual intentions are towards him sexually it seems it could just be shadow baby related.

Romance is a huge part of these books denying that is just silly. There are many layers to the themes within ASOIAF. Romantic love, sex, betrayal unrequited love, taboo love, so so much in there and its ignorant to ignore it all.

People who do wish to discuss the in text relationship, such as Brienne & Jamie are not trolling any more than people who wish to discuss religion or politics are.

P.s Its me that "ships" them into having a Kid. Thats not out of some daft sappy oh wouldn't it be sweet love hearts and flowers kinda way its because I see the story as having a cyclical element, a sense of these dynasties going round in circles. with the generations forever trapped in the same family rifts. Liek the Blackwoods & the Brackens. The series begins with a Child from the preceding ruling dynasty hidden away in one of the remotest castles in Westeros, being passed off as the child of another house. The old royal family in tatters banished and crumbling.

I feel that it would have a certain poetic element if the series ended with the Lannisters who have essentially been the royal family who took over from the Targs due to the political power of Tywin, and the Twincest. In tatters, all but wiped out and a secret child being raised in a remote castle (Tarth) being passed off as the son of another house and the few remaining Lannisters scattered in essos. Jamie of course would die, going down in battle as Rhaegar did.

Thats why I "ship" the two of them to marriage and a kid. Because it would mirror Rhaegar and Lyanna, even down to IMO a weirwood wedding and the need to hide the baby in plain sight after his fathers death..

Vas ist das "shipping"?

The main driving force in any organism, after self survival, is to breed.

Despite the losses in the battle of the Blackwater, the "shipping" industry is thriving in Westeros.

GRRM is nothing if not a realist, even in a fantasy setting.

J&B?

Remember J's hot-tub-boner in Harranhal.

Sounds like love to me!

I perfectly agree that just because a man and a woman hang out together and become close it doesn't have to lead to romance...

It doesn't have to, but that's seldom the man's choice.

Jus sayin...

Jaime is hitting on Brienne something fierce in the TV show, even wearing the same ugly bag brown tunic she wears and saying she looks like a Lannister.

There are sooo many jokes to be made from this, how can you be mad that we can't resist? :drool:

There is real UST between them, book and show. People notice.

Yes the TV show is definitely playing with this too, they can't be as subtle, as in the book as the reader gets about 10X as much info from the page as the watcher does from a scene on Tv.

Hence the 2x4 being used in the show.

Yes men & women can have deep mutual un-romantic relationships. This just ain't one of them.. I have a ton of male friends who don't try and "bang" me every time we get pissed together. But the fact that this is possible doesn't take away the fact that Jamie & Brienne are seriously getting into each other. Its hidden in plain sight in the text. You just have to read it with an eye that is open to life in all its glory. Which includes love. There are some really great essays on this pair over in the re thinking romance thread if anyone is actually interested in being thoughtful about the text as opposed to just bitching about people talking about icky love... ewwww.

The whole "why can't they just be friends" argument applied to Jaime&Brienne is a big flop anyway, because she's very clearly into him. I'd be totally fine with them being just bros IF Brienne wasn't in love with him, her feelings make all the difference to me.

Indeed she is falling hard for Jamie, I'd say he is for her too, but just doesn't yet recognise that this is actually what Love is.

Being as he's only ever experienced his & Cersei's fubar'd version of love before now.

The love he feels for his sister is a twisted ugly thing and she is a sociopath so he's never experienced being loved back but rather what he thinks is being loved is merely being seen as someone's possession. The relationship with Brienne will allow him to realise that Cersi never loved him in the real sense, only ever as an extension of herself.

Where as the love he is feeling for Brienne is good and mutual and healthy it is based on understanding, mutual respect, shared ideals and goals etc. Once he grasps that this is what Love can to feel like he'll soar.

I love the idea of them getting together if only to imagine the look on Cersei's face.

She would definitely be all, "WTF!"

OK, not only for that but because it would be awesome for him to see the beauty inside of her. (Assuming it is still there and she's not going to trip out on Un Cat or become UnBrienne or something. )

Keep up the Lannister pick up lines! Hilarious! :)

I think the thing you have to bare in mind when it comes to "shipping" (I'd never heard that term until I started coming to this forum.) is that while say shipping two characters who are in no way connected say Sansa stannis which I have seen before is a little absurd and fan ficcy at best. Shipping two characters who are actually interacting in text in a manor which can easily be interpreted as flirtatious such as Brienne & Jamie is just reading a book and grasping that there are romantic feelings flying around this duo.

Ditto for sansa & Sandor, its there in text its not "clear" in the way say Gilly & Sam is but do you really have to be hit round the head with a 2x4 in order to pick up on anything? I prefer my books to be subtle & make me think and consider etc...

Jon Val again has text support they flirt with each other, Mel Jon is one sided, But its there too, though hell only knows what her actual intentions are towards him sexually it seems it could just be shadow baby related.

Romance is a huge part of these books denying that is just silly. There are many layers to the themes within ASOIAF. Romantic love, sex, betrayal unrequited love, taboo love, so so much in there and its ignorant to ignore it all.

People who do wish to discuss the in text relationship, such as Brienne & Jamie are not trolling any more than people who wish to discuss religion or politics are.

P.s Its me that "ships" them into having a Kid. Thats not out of some daft sappy oh wouldn't it be sweet love hearts and flowers kinda way its because I see the story as having a cyclical element, a sense of these dynasties going round in circles. with the generations forever trapped in the same family rifts. Liek the Blackwoods & the Brackens. The series begins with a Child from the preceding ruling dynasty hidden away in one of the remotest castles in Westeros, being passed off as the child of another house. The old royal family in tatters banished and crumbling.

I feel that it would have a certain poetic element if the series ended with the Lannisters who have essentially been the royal family who took over from the Targs due to the political power of Tywin, and the Twincest. In tatters, all but wiped out and a secret child being raised in a remote castle (Tarth) being passed off as the son of another house and the few remaining Lannisters scattered in essos. Jamie of course would die, going down in battle as Rhaegar did.

Thats why I "ship" the two of them to marriage and a kid. Because it would mirror Rhaegar and Lyanna, even down to IMO a weirwood wedding and the need to hide the baby in plain sight after his fathers death..

Lovely post! I especially liked the bolded parts!

In regards to them having a child together, I am pessimistic about that outcome. To be honest I am pessimistic about them.

I love the idea of them getting together if only to imagine the look on Cersei's face.

She would definitely be all, "WTF!"

OK, not only for that but because it would be awesome for him to see the beauty inside of her. (Assuming it is still there and she's not going to trip out on Un Cat or become UnBrienne or something. )

Keep up the Lannister pick up lines! Hilarious! :)

Jaime has already seen Brienne's beauty.

This is from his first SOS chapter

Brienne moved the tiller and the skiff sheared left, sail rippling. Jaime watched her eyes. Pretty eyes, he thought, and calm.

Then, at his last SOS chapter, there is an incredibly awkward scene between the two of them. As soon as Loras leaves, it is just him and Brienne at the White Tower.

Someone had dressed her in woman’s clothes again, but this dress fit much better than that hideous pink rag the goat had made her wear. “Blue is a good color on you, my lady,” Jaime observed. “It goes well with your eyes.” She does have astonishing eyes.

Brienne glanced down at herself, flustered. “Septa Donyse padded out the bodice, to give it that shape. She said you sent her to me.” She lingered by the door, as if she meant to flee at any second. “You look…”

“Different?” He managed a half-smile. “More meat on the ribs and fewer lice in my hair, that’s all. The stump’s the same. Close the door and come here.”

She did as he bid her. “The white cloak…”

“…is new, but I’m sure I’ll soil it soon enough.”

“That wasn’t… I was about to say that it becomes you.”

Besides Cersei has already been told that Jaime chose Brienne over her

"but on his way back to Riverrun he left his tail and went off with a woman."

"A woman?" Cersei stared at him, uncomprehending.

"What woman? Why? Where did they go?"

"No one knows. We've had no further word of him. The woman may have been the Evenstar's daughter, Lady Brienne."

Her. The queen remembered the Maid of Tarth, a huge, ugly, shambling thing who dressed in man's mail. Jaime would never abandon me

for such a creature. My raven never reached him, elsewise he would have come.

Indeed she is falling hard for Jamie, I'd say he is for her too, but just doesn't yet recognise that this is actually what Love is.

Being as he's only ever experienced his & Cersei's fubar'd version of love before now.

The love he feels for his sister is a twisted ugly thing and she is a sociopath so he's never experienced being loved back but rather what he thinks is being loved is merely being seen as someone's possession. The relationship with Brienne will allow him to realise that Cersi never loved him in the real sense, only ever as an extension of herself.

Where as the love he is feeling for Brienne is good and mutual and healthy it is based on understanding, mutual respect, shared ideals and goals etc. Once he grasps that this is what Love can to feel like he'll soar.

yeeaaah... I'm on the fence in regards of Jaime's feelings. Brienne got under his skin in a pretty big way, and the rift with Cersei has made room for other feelings to grow, but it's still very unclear to me. Although when recently the actress who plays Brienne said that grrm used Beauty & the Beast as a a template for their story (role reversal, gender swapped) it cemented it a bit more in my mind, as beauty&the beast isn't a tale of platonic friendship between comrades. We'll see.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/88687-brienne-is-in-love-with-jaime/

Please! Only serious denial can get rid of all the evidence here. I'm with the 'Brienne and Hyle marry and bring up Jaime Tarth, heir to Evenfall, the secret lion' camp to the death

I never want to see Brienne married to Hyle. Never. He's ugh.

Archived