Stannis is not iron.

hollowcrown

I think Robb actually said that even if Renly would declare himself he still would have an older brother, so it wouldn't be right.

Robb may have said something along those lines. Can't remember though. I do remember Olenna telling Sansa that she warned them it was treason coz Robert has two sons and Renly an older brother so he [Renly] could not possibly have a claim to the throne.

Robb may have said something along those lines. Can't remember though. I do remember Olenna telling Sansa that she warned them it was treason coz Robert has two sons and Renly an older brother so he [Renly] could not possibly have a claim to the throne.

Also Tyrion, after returning from captivity, was surprised when getting told that Robert's brother crowned himself.

"Stannis?"

"No, Renly"

In retrospect I'm not even sure how solid Renly's reign (or dynasty) would be in the long run. Several people including those who fight each other don't really seem to look too favorably on Renly's claim. He's also backed by the Tyrells who are just seen as upjumped stewards by some of their own bannermen.

Robert had a relatively solid reign but even he had the problem that some still called him usurper, so Renly wouldn't be necessarily safe in that department.

Also Tyrion, after returning from captivity, was surprised when getting told that Robert's brother crowned himself.

"Stannis?"

"No, Renly"

In retrospect I'm not even sure how solid Renly's reign (or dynasty) would be in the long run. Several people including those who fight each other don't really seem to look too favorably on Renly's claim. He's also backed by the Tyrells who are just seen as upjumped stewards by some of their own bannermen.

Robert had a relatively solid reign but even he had the problem that some still called him usurper, so Renly wouldn't be necessarily safe in that department.

Some people claim Renly would have made a good king but I'm not so sure about that. He is charming but beyond that there doesn't seem to be much substance to him. I can't recall any other character except Brienne thinking that would would have been a good king (could be wrong though) while there are at least two who seem to think that there wasn't much to him beyond the charm.

Donal Noye:

“And Renly, that one, he’s copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day.”

Olenna:

“Gallant, yes, and charming, and very clean. He knew how to dress and he knew how to smile and he knew how to bathe, and somehow he got the notion that this made him fit to be king.”

Donal Noye:

“And Renly, that one, he’s copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day.”

Olenna:

“Gallant, yes, and charming, and very clean. He knew how to dress and he knew how to smile and he knew how to bathe, and somehow he got the notion that this made him fit to be king.”

I think it's very important that these two people are of different statuses and have different relations to him and still they come to the same conclusion.

Cressen might also have said something similar (IIRC) and he was close to him when he was a kid.

I think Loras expressed him being a good king too but obviously he's also biased.

Archived