Will Arya wield Dark Sister?

Dorne in the USA

Its either with Bloodraven or in Kingslanding

Well I know this is the common thinking that it's at one of these two places but why do we think that? Is it wishful thinking or has there been some text that leads us to think this? Only reason I'm curious is because I really don't see anyone wielding the sword at all. If there is some contextual proof leading to where the sword is, then we can speculate on who will wield it but until then I see no signs that it will be re-introduced into the story.

Well I know this is the common thinking that it's at one of these two places but why do we think that? Is it wishful thinking or has there been some text that leads us to think this? Only reason I'm curious is because I really don't see anyone wielding the sword at all. If there is some contextual proof leading to where the sword is, then we can speculate on who will wield it but until then I see no signs that it will be re-introduced into the story.

Well there was no need to mention it in the show but they did, for some unknown reason. It has only been mentioned in the Princess and the Queen and The Sworn Sword.

I don't see how Arya ciuld get the Dark Sister.

That sword has Meera's name written all over it, IMO. Don't why but I feel like Meera could be the Jaime Lannister circa Robert's Rebellion this time around: aka that one very secondary character that ends up doing something really momentous towards the end, for better or worse

:agree:

Well there was no need to mention it in the show but they did, for some unknown reason. It has only been mentioned in the Princess and the Queen and The Sworn Sword.

I mean it was probably mentioned because it's such a cool, unique weapon with an awesome name, and gives Arya a chance to show how clever she is by knowing all of the details about such a powerful, female character is westerosie? history. I never actually read PatQ or the Sworn Sword, although they are the next couple in line. I thought those were prequels though that took place before the sword was lost.

I'm not trying to put a damper on this idea intentionally, I mean I love unique weapons that appear in fantasy novels, especially asoiaf. I think it would be bad ass if Arya acquires the sword. I just don't see where it fits anywhere that the weapon will be found anytime soon and that it will be re-introduced to the story. I'll shut up now, as this post was originally intended to talk about who would wield it, not whether or not it would be found.

Well I think it's safe to say that Arya as she gets bigger will need a larger sword than Needle-and its hard to believe that Dark Sister won't make an appearance at some point. And Arya might not be a Targ but she's certainly part of the Warrior Women tradition the sword represents.

Arya is not very good with a sword? Doubtful on that - actually had training (mental and physical) from an actually highly skilled swordsman. She continued to train when she could even on the run and throughout the Harranhall situation, with balance and focus exercises. Also, the major hurdle here is not how well or how long she trained, but how deadly she is - and she is incredibly deadly.

For instance - who do you think could wield a really nice firearm better in modern times? Some random solider who goes through basic training, but has never seen an actual live combat situation, or a kid that has intensely trained with a guerrilla force for a half a year, and then immediately engages in live fire and actual combat. The more effective person is the one that can actually use the weapon for what it is intended, killing.

And Jon melting down Dark Sister for his own sister would be nothing like what Tywin did. This depends on how Jon would theoretically have Dark Sister, but is plausible since the last known wielder of that blade eventually became the LC of the NW, and is not beyond the Wall. But Jon would be remaking it for his own Dark Sister, and there is no reason it would be done to spite House Targaryen or for his own glory. No comparison - besides that fact that I don't think Jon will end up with it, and even if he did, I don't think he would ever think of reworking it. If he is even still capable of making that type of decision.

Ehhh one of the issues with the Somali incident was that the rebels "couldn't shoot for sh*t" (No I did not get this from the movie). The rebels burned off rounds quicker than the US forces on the ground. I guess the idea if you shoot enough you will hit something, rather swing enough, comes to mind. It isn't just the Somali incident, historically speaking, militias (guerrilla warriors) have been very poor combatants. Conscripted armies fall under the same banner. Am I understanding you correctly that you are arguing that guerrilla warriors are better?

Having said that, Ayra is a trained assassin, not a skilled swordsman. This is fantasy, however, so..... There are medieval handbooks that have survived that discuss this particular issue. We know Ayra continued to practice, but consider a kid in the back yard practicing a certain sport, but doing it all wrong. Unless they have a special gift, practicing improperly isn't going to help. I am alright with Martin moving away from realism, this is after all a fantasy; however, women in the middle ages typically would not have wielded weapons. One of the most confounding myths of the Middle Ages, and downright annoying, is the one of Joan D'Arc. Historians have FINALLY began to look at the reality of her person....she was a mascot, nothing more. I am, however, fine with Ayra being a master swordsman, if I want reality I have a massive library of historical monographs to look at. I would like Ayra to pick up the sword, but in terms of her skill (based on training) we know she is a skilled assassin but little more. Again, this is fantasy, so if Ayra becomes a deadly swordsman(woman), I would be more than happy. Aside from Jon, Ayra is one of my favorite characters in the story. In a way, Ayra is become the most deadly character in the novel, especially after the latest released chapter.

I am greedy and want House Stark to have all the good stuff so I want Ayra to have the sword. But Ayra seems like the polar opposite of Jaime, or rather the dark version of Jaime. He is the greatest swordsman of the time (well minus the hand issue), and she could perhaps be shaping up to be the most deadly assassin of the time. Both nearly unbeatable with their "tools". She doesn't necessarily need that sort of weapon for her role.

Ehhh one of the issues with the Somali incident was that the rebels "couldn't shoot for sh*t" (No I did not get this from the movie). The rebels burned off rounds quicker than the US forces on the ground. I guess the idea if you shoot enough you will hit something, rather swing enough, comes to mind. It isn't just the Somali incident, historically speaking, militias (guerrilla warriors) have been very poor combatants. Conscripted armies fall under the same banner. Am I understanding you correctly that you are arguing that guerrilla warriors are better?

Somalia isn't at all what I was referring to. More like Afghanistan, or revolutionary Cuba, or Vietnam, El Salvador, Nicaragua, etc etc. You know, where the rebels actually fought well and with some sort of organization. Or take the American revolution, at least early on.

I agree, she isn't Brienne of Tarth and never will be, but being able to use a slim, light, and ultra sharp weapon would make Arya deadly. That is what Needle is for, but Needle is only for poking, and she can slice somebody up from behind, or underneath, with a blade like Dark Sister.

I also want to state for the record I do NOT want Jon, or anyone, to ever melt down VS blades. My point was just that if he did, it wouldn't be as offensive as what Tywin did. Didn't even Tyrion think the same thing, that he should have sent the sword back to Robb when he had the chance, instead of letting his own father create two swords for House Lannister?

I mean it was probably mentioned because it's such a cool, unique weapon with an awesome name, and gives Arya a chance to show how clever she is by knowing all of the details about such a powerful, female character is westerosie? history. I never actually read PatQ or the Sworn Sword, although they are the next couple in line. I thought those were prequels though that took place before the sword was lost.

I'm not trying to put a damper on this idea intentionally, I mean I love unique weapons that appear in fantasy novels, especially asoiaf. I think it would be bad ass if Arya acquires the sword. I just don't see where it fits anywhere that the weapon will be found anytime soon and that it will be re-introduced to the story. I'll shut up now, as this post was originally intended to talk about who would wield it, not whether or not it would be found.

I thought your points were very good. I do not have to agree with them, for them to be solid points. It is like those who say she will never use a named sword because it draws attention, or Arya Nym's veiws on things... Does not make them any less possible :)

I appreciate any and all sides on something like this because I learn things, it is engaging, and entertaining and thought provoking.

Now if you try and tell me it was Tyrion not Joffery that was the target of the purple wedding ill think you are a nut job, but I digress lol

I agree, she isn't Brienne of Tarth and never will be, but being able to use a slim, light, and ultra sharp weapon would make Arya deadly. That is what Needle is for, but Needle is only for poking, and she can slice somebody up from behind, or underneath, with a blade like Dark Sister.

Arya is already deadly. What makes her deadly is that she can approach someone she wants to kill and assassinate him without anyone none the wiser. The tools for that are hidden blades, poisons, shoves and anything that do not mark her as a danger at first sight. You'll remember that she buried Needle and does not use it for her kills.

The author making her carry Dark Sister at this point would intend to make her less deadly: the sword is not easily concealable, it's unwieldy in close quarters, or inside a house, it totally clashes with any disguise or role the girl would want to take (let's say, I don't know, that girl with a broken jaw who tried to steal money from someone going to insure his ship, or a poor blind beggar girl, or a poor seafood vendor...) except the role of a show-off noble westerosi ready to slice your bacon with her very visible very rare very magical blade... in short it prevents her from assassinating.

And then if GRRM really did go that way and made her FM training irrelevant, Arya is, simply, someone who took one month of sword practice years ago. She knows how to catch cats, she knows some postures, she does not know how to fight, even with a Braavosi blade, which her training was about, and Dark Sister is not a Braavosi blade.

Euron's Valyrian daggers make more sense for her than Dark Sister.

"Euron had seduced them with his glib tongue and smiling eye and bound them to his cause with the plunder of half a hundred distant lands...daggers of Valyrian steel..."

Of course I think she should use a nondescript blade.

Yeah, a nondescript blade kills you dead as easily as a Valyrian dagger, and it's less conspicuous, less traceable and can be discarded at will.

Though of course, if she wanted to incriminate some guy who is known to have won a Valyrian steel dagger in a tourney, she could use one. and leave it in the corpse. Only morons like Joffrey and his catspaw would think it a good idea to use one without any plan.

You could absolutely be right, but i'm going with the "She gets Dark sister" theory until something, not yet published, changes that :)

Arya has been trained under some of the greatest fighters in the Seven Kingdoms and Essos. The first "sword" of Braavos may have been a water dancer but he was still a swordsmen. She was isolated as Roose Bolton's cup bearer at Harrenhal but that being said in the show she learned lessons from Tywin. She was also with the Hound another great swordsman and Beric who at his time was a great swordsman. She also was with the NIght's Watch going to the wall before Raff and the Lannys got her. After seeing her under all their tutelage I find it hard to fathom that she is not able to wield that blade. If you think there will be a time when the whites and others come when she won't need Valyrian Steel, i think you are wrong. I believe one other possibility is that she uses dragonglass forged weaponry but with the name of the sword and her being the female heroin of the Starks. I just think it feels right, unless GRRM finally reveals the place of the sword. I know it is a Targ sword but her Aunt was the Laughing Knight and she won a tourney at Harrenhal. I am still convinced she will wield Valyrian steel and Dark Sister just fits the bill. It's not like if she is on a dragon she won't have to climb down off the dragon and use a sword at some point, and needle simply won't suffice. This is more a DoS stuff not in Winds. Thanks for all the post guys you have great insight.

I am still convinced she will wield Valyrian steel and Dark Sister just fits the bill. It's not like if she is on a dragon she won't have to climb down off the dragon and use a sword at some point, and needle simply won't suffice.

I think she would have to wear a chainmail bikini too, to differentiate herself from Asha.

She is more likely to warg a dragon than ride anyway.

I think she would have to wear a chainmail bikini too, to differentiate herself from Asha.

She is more likely to warg a dragon than ride anyway.

I do not think you can Warg a dragon, or they would have when the Targaryans invaded in the first place.

Archived