Name pronunciations

I've been having some problems with the name pronunciations in the books (and the show to a certain extent). Here are some that I find myself and other having a tough time with.

Cersei: I've always said CER-Say, but I've heard other people and characters in the show call her CER-See. GRRM though, calls her CER-Say.

Tommen: Don't know why, but I find myself calling him TO-oo-mmen instead of TOM-men.

Myrcella: In the show they say Mar-CELLA, but I've never known why. I've always said Myr-CELLA.

Catelyn: By far the most confusing one. Most people say CAT-Lynn, but others (sometimes even GRRM) call her KATE-Lynn. The latter would make more sense I guess given the way it is written, but most times I've gotten used to the first.

Euron: One that I have no idea how to pronounce. Some say YOU-Ron, others EH-Oo-Ron, ofttimes EE-Oo-Ron, even OO-Ron. Help!

Qyburn: When I read it in the book I said Qoo-WHY-Burn, though in the show it's QAH-ee-Burn. Now I've gotten used with the latter one, but my initial pronunciation still comes to mind a few times.

Tyrell: I've usually called them Tie-RELL, but saying it quickly, Tee-RELL or Te-RELL, and then other people call it Tee-Rell and Te-Rell anyway. I suppose it is because of the differring accents, but it still baffles me.

Baratheon: It's mostly Buh-RAH-Thee-Uhn, but GRRM calls them Buh-RAH-Thee-Oh-N.

Arya: I know its a simple name to pronounce and most people say AR-Ee-Uh, but I saw in the HBO pronunciation guide that it's AR-Yuh or AR-Ya.

Davos: It's mostly DA-Vos, but I've also heard DAY-Vos.

Kevan: I pronounce it the way it's written, KEH-Van. My translation says KEE-Van while I've also heard it pronounced similarly to the real-life "Kevin"

Balon: Confused on this one. In the show they say BAY-Lon, while in interviews GRRM says BAH-Luhn. Differing accents perhaps?

The Targaryen names are also a bitch.

Aegon: In the show, Shireen says that is is pronounced EGG-on like egg. But some others say AY-Gon

This pretty much applies for other names with an "ae" inside such as Baelor, Aerys, Jaehaerys, Daenerys, etc.

Most of them are tomato-tomato thing I suppose...

How do you guys make sense of all this, and how do you pronounce these names?

George says you can pronounce them whatever way you want. But I pronounce many of them the same way you do and I've always just seen Euron's pronunciation as being "You-ron" .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOEO27SZAtw

How he pronounces Arya is interesting if you ask me, the way he describes the pronunction fits her but I've always found her name interesting. Hers and Asha's because forgive me but I lack a knowledge of European names, I didn't even used to know that alotta names Europeans have are actually of Judeo origins but Asha always stood out because I live in an Arab country and see it on Arabs and even my own relatives often but the "A" part at the beginning is pronounced with that AA sound in many Afro-Asiatic languages, dunno how to describe it. Arya sounded Indian or Persian to me. If you live in the US or Europe. Do you ever encounter people with names like Arya or Aryan and such? Just curious as to where george may have gotten it or if he really jsut made it up to facilitate that "cutting" sound he mentions.

And the Targ names are simple if you ask me.

Aegon- Aygon

Viserys-Vi-sei-ris (the nei is like a meh sound but softer, nothing nay or me in sound)

Daenerys- Day-nei-ris

Daeron-Day-ron

Aemon- Ay-mon

Baelor- Bay-lore

Rhaegar- Ray-gar

Rhaenys- Ray-nis

At least that's how I like to pronounce them.

I pronounce Baratheon the same way George does. Lol, the "Day-vos" pronounciation is hilarious. I've never heard that one myself. People... I love their variety.

How do you pronounce Qyburn's name? My friend fervently argues that it is- Kai-burn, whilst I just randomly took to pronouncing it Qui-burn or Qwi-burn basically. How do you pronounce it?

Other names and how I like to pronounce them

Tywin- Tai-win

Tygget- Ti-gett (it has the same Ty in it that Tywin's name does but idk, the Tai sound doesn't fit it in my head so I go for "Ti" instead)

Tyrion- same way they say it on the show

Jaime- Jay-me

Oberyn- Oh-buh-rin

Arianne- Ari-yan, I sometimes say Ari-yanne or Ari-aynne in my head instead.

Nice thread. Interesting subject.

George says you can pronounce them whatever way you want. But I pronounce many of them the same way you do and I've always just seen Euron's pronunciation as being "You-ron" .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOEO27SZAtw

How he pronounces Arya is interesting if you ask me, the way he describes the pronunction fits her but I've always found her name interesting. Hers and Asha's because forgive me but I lack a knowledge of European names, I didn't even used to know that alotta names Europeans have are actually of Judeo origins but Asha always stood out because I live in an Arab country and see it on Arabs and even my own relatives often but the "A" part at the beginning is pronounced with that AA sound in many Afro-Asiatic languages, dunno how to describe it. Arya sounded Indian or Persian to me. If you live in the US or Europe. Do you ever encounter people with names like Arya or Aryan and such? Just curious as to where george may have gotten it or if he really jsut made it up to facilitate that "cutting" sound he mentions.

And the Targ names are simple if you ask me.

Aegon- Aygon

Viserys-Vi-sei-ris (the nei is like a meh sound but softer, nothing nay or me in sound)

Daenerys- Day-nei-ris

Daeron-Day-ron

Aemon- Ay-mon

Baelor- Bay-lore

Rhaegar- Ray-gar

Rhaenys- Ray-nis

At least that's how I like to pronounce them.

I pronounce Baratheon the same way George does. Lol, the "Day-vos" pronounciation is hilarious. I've never heard that one myself. People... I love their variety.

How do you pronounce Qyburn's name? My friend fervently argues that it is- Kai-burn, whilst I just randomly took to pronouncing it Qui-burn or Qwi-burn basically. How do you pronounce it?

Other names and how I like to pronounce them

Tywin- Tai-win

Tygget- Ti-gett (it has the same Ty in it that Tywin's name does but idk, the Tai sound doesn't fit it in my head so I go for "Ti" instead)

Tyrion- same way they say it on the show

Jaime- Jay-me

Oberyn- Oh-buh-rin

Arianne- Ari-yan, I sometimes say Ari-yanne or Ari-aynne in my head instead.

Nice thread. Interesting subject.

Thanks for replying, and thanks for the video. It's always a treat seeing GRRM discussing ASOIAF.

Thanks for mentioning Qyburn, because it's another name that is confusing. I have the same problem as you actually. When I read it in the book I said Qoo-WHY-Burn, though in the show it's QAH-ee-Burn. Now I've gotten used with the latter one, but my initial pronunciation still comes to mind a few times.

As for the Targs, I brought it up because my translation of the book (Greek) pronounces all the "ae" with "eh". Like Rhaegar is pronounced Reh-gar, Baelor is Beh-lore and so on. In english, the "ae" varies between "eh" and "ay". It's very weird and I though I might bring it up. Same thing with Davos, my translation says Day-Vos

I live in Europe. We do have some names similar to "Arya". The name Ariadne comes to mind (again a greek name), but we here pronounce it very simply without any special "yuh"s in there. So, I guess it's what George said, that the pronunciation of it is sharp which describes her character. Very intelligent on his part.

In my country for some reason others say Baratheon "Buh-RAH-Theh-On". I suppose it's because the word "theo" that derives from greek (meaning "god"), in which the "e" is pronounced "eh".

Also interesting that you brought up Tygett. I haven't heard others say the name but I read "Tie-Gett".

Here's hoping we don't have a repeat of the great "Jon" debacle of 2013.

There was a debate over how to pronounce Jon? (So sorry if I've provoked a repeat of said debacle.)

Roll-lar

That's close to how I've been saying it. Apostrophes sometimes mess me up. I have no problem pronouncing H'ghar, but I've questioned R'hllor all this time.

There was a debate over how to pronounce Jon? (So sorry if I've provoked a repeat of said debacle.)

You're cutting open old wounds here man. :laugh:

Needless to say, the other side were wrong. Jon, Jon rhymes with gone. Some stated it rhymed with gun.

P.S. Lets not take over this thread with this.

I like how Pascal pronounces Rhaegar Targaryen: Regar Targerian.

It's canon to me, k?

I loved the look on his face when he said it. That look along with the added description of the noble and beautiful Regar was priceless.

~Le Swoon~

I loved the look on his face when he said it. That look along with the added description of the noble and beautiful Regar was priceless.

~Le Swoon~

I'm thinking about photoshopping my face into Tyrion's in that scene.

And here's the scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l5-r8U37j0 :3 :3 :3 :3

Regar Targerian 0:35

I'm thinking about photoshopping my face into Tyrion's in that scene.

And here's the scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l5-r8U37j0 :3 :3 :3 :3

Regar Targerian 0:35

Thank you, thank you for the clip. :bowdown: :cheers:

I could what that all day. Too bad I have to go out soon, LOL

Thanks for replying, and thanks for the video. It's always a treat seeing GRRM discussing ASOIAF.

Thanks for mentioning Qyburn, because it's another name that is confusing. I have the same problem as you actually. When I read it in the book I said Qoo-WHY-Burn, though in the show it's QAH-ee-Burn. Now I've gotten used with the latter one, but my initial pronunciation still comes to mind a few times.

As for the Targs, I brought it up because my translation of the book (Greek) pronounces all the "ae" with "eh". Like Rhaegar is pronounced Reh-gar, Baelor is Beh-lore and so on. In english, the "ae" varies between "eh" and "ay". It's very weird and I though I might bring it up. Same thing with Davos, my translation says Day-Vos

I live in Europe. We do have some names similar to "Arya". The name Ariadne comes to mind (again a greek name), but we here pronounce it very simply without any special "yuh"s in there. So, I guess it's what George said, that the pronunciation of it is sharp which describes her character. Very intelligent on his part.

In my country for some reason others say Baratheon "Buh-RAH-Theh-On". I suppose it's because the word "theo" that derives from greek (meaning "god"), in which the "e" is pronounced "eh".

Also interesting that you brought up Tygett. I haven't heard others say the name but I read "Tie-Gett".

Hmm, the Lannister or Westerman names are interesting because for example Tywin and Tytos are pronounced at least by George and characters on the show as -Tie-win- and -Tie-tos-, the same way you pronounce Tygett but then look at Tyrion's name. It's the same kind of name with -Ty- at the start yet George and the show characters among other people pronounce it as -Ti- at the start. I just sort of thought the -Ti- fit Tygett better in my mind especially after Genna, his sister calls him Tygg whil speaking of him to Jaime. The Tigett pronunciation felt better than the Tie/Taigett one, but that's all just me and my crazy preferences and instincts.

On a side note, house Tyrell's name is pronounced in the -Ti- form by some on the show yet I think I've heard George or even others on the show use the -Tie- pronunciation. It's not a Westerland name but these -Ty- names are confusing, to say the least.

That's interesting about the pronunciations in Greek. I do like it when writers have a character's name fit them somehow or symbolize something, not when they do it ALL the time, of course because then there's the whole "What? Did all of their parents know they'd turn into who they are now?!" question that irks some people but when it's subtle and peppered every now and again like George seems to do it, I love it.

What do you mean about the Baratheon pronunciation? You mean they avoid pronouncing the last part as -Theon- because of Theo deriving from the Greek means God?

And you're welcome on the reply, thanks for starting an interesting discussion, been hoping to run into one lack this for a while.

I just want to know how to pronounce R'hllor.

^This

The pronunciation to that name has been irking me for a long time. My cousin staunchly claims its -Rollor-, even claiming it's mentioned that it's pronounced that way in the books but I've never encountered a chapter where that comes up though I'm only half way through Dance...

Roll-lar

Okay, seriously do they reveal the pronunciation in some later chapter I haven't gotten too or I have somehow missed this?! Where is it mentioned that it's pronounced that way? I've seen people in the books somewhat say it like that when they were mispronouncing it or making fun of it, I think but that's all I recall. I dunno, not sure. Think I might have encountered that way of saying it before. How does George say it? Anyone know?

----

Oh and @JonCon's Red Beard- I love your display pic. She's so exotically beautiful. Fits what I imagined the Dornish look to be better than Pascal does >_>.

My personal pronounciations, though I'm not entirely sure how to describe them, as I'm no native english-speaker.

Cersei: SER-sey. Starts like the title 'ser/sir', ends like the verb 'say'.

Tommen: TOM-en. Starts like the name 'Thomas' only ending with 'en' instead of 'as'.

Myrcella: mir-SELLA. The 'y' sounds like the 'i' in 'miserable'.

Catelyn: CAT-lynn. Starts like the animal 'cat'.

Euron: YOU-ron. Starts like the continent 'Europe' (You-rope').

Qyburn: qy-BURN. Q as in 'inQuisitor', 'y' as in 'why', 'burn' as in 'burn'.

Tyrell: tie-RELL. The word 'tie' + rell.

Baratheon: buh-RAH-thee-OHN. Not gonna bother explaining.

Arya: a-RE-uh. Said quickly, starts similarily to her nickname arry but ends with an 'uh'.

Davos: DA-vos. Not DAY-vos at least.

Aegon: AY-gon. Starts with the letter 'A' + gon.

Baelor: BAY-lor. The (nautical) word 'bay' + lor.

Aerys: AER-is. Like the swedish word 'är' (meaning 'is') + is. ,

Jaehaerys: jeh-HAER-is. Same as above with a jeh at the start and an 'h' before the 'är'.

Daenerys: Daeh-NER-is. Soft start, soft end.

Dothraki makes me wonder, since D&D pronounced it doth-RAK-key and GRRM has pronounced it doth-ruh-KAI.

And Aerys, is it air-iss or is it air-ease. EH-rhis?

ASH-er-uh or Ash-ARE-uh Dayne?

Gare-old or Jare-old Hightower/Dayne?

Is Moqorro muh-CORE-oh or MOCK-or-oh?

Some of them I go back and forth on, others I've settled on a pronunciation. Aurane I've pronounced oh-RAIN, Qyburn is KAI-burn to me, and R'hllor has always been Ruh-lore.

What do you mean about the Baratheon pronunciation? You mean they avoid pronouncing the last part as -Theon- because of Theo deriving from the Greek means God?

No, what I'm saying is that they pronounce it the same way as the word "theo" in greek. In english, the word is pronounced "THEE-oh", while in greek it's "th-eh-O" . So, in result they say Baratheon "Buh-RAH-Th-Eh-On. But again, most say it the correct way, so it's not very important.

No, what I'm saying is that they pronounce it the same way as the word "theo" in greek. In english, the word is pronounced "THEE-oh", while in greek it's "th-eh-O" . So, in result they say Baratheon "Buh-RAH-Th-Eh-On. But again, most say it the correct way, so it's not very important.

I see. And what do you think of the -Ty- names?

Dothraki makes me wonder, since D&D pronounced it doth-RAK-key and GRRM has pronounced it doth-ruh-KAI.

And Aerys, is it air-iss or is it air-ease. EH-rhis?

ASH-er-uh or Ash-ARE-uh Dayne?

Gare-old or Jare-old Hightower/Dayne?

Is Moqorro muh-CORE-oh or MOCK-or-oh?

Some of them I go back and forth on, others I've settled on a pronunciation. Aurane I've pronounced oh-RAIN, Qyburn is KAI-burn to me, and R'hllor has always been Ruh-lore.

Here are mine for those:

Doe-THRAH-key

AIR-eez

Uh-SHAR-uh

JAIR-uhld

Mo-CORE-oh

Or-RAIN

KY-burn

Archived