Sword of the Morning: likely candidates

Fool of a Book

I know this has been discussed, but I don't think it has been discussed in depth since certain released chapters.

We know the Sword of the Morning needs to be a Dayne. We are pretty certain Dawn is an important Sword in the future of the story. We know Dawn is still at Starfall.

House Dayne candidates:

Darkstar

Allyria (betrothed to Beric, interesting)

Edric

Other than Darkstar, I don't see Allyria or Edric as likely candidates

If Gerold is qualified, why isn't he already Sword of the Morning? What needs to happen for him to claim the sword?

(More importantly, what could GRRM fit into the story before the deadline, and have Darkstar wield Dawn in one of the final battles?)

Or, what would Edric need to do to be honored with the title and the sword?

Other candidates:

Elia Sand. Father Oberyn Martell, Mother Ellaria Sand. Grandfather Harmen Uller, Grandmother Unknown. Could Elia Sand have Dayne blood? I bring her up as a candidate because of her obviously stressed fighting skills, and that her namesake is Elia Martell. I don't find that insignificant.

Ashara Dayne's missing baby. Tons of theories about this one. Which established characters might be her missing child, male or female?

I do NOT think GRRM is going to pull the Sword of the Morning out of his arse, it will be someone we already know.

I actually think that Edric has bigger chance of becoming Sword of the Morning than Darkstar. The title is given to the worthy members of House Dayne (I am even more interested in how it is given) and Darkstar proved to be unworthy in every possible way of that word.

And if by some chance Darkstar gets it, I imagine every Sword of the Morning in the past 12 000 years to Arthur Dayne would roll in their graves...

I never understood why the Sword of the Morning is important to the plot at all. Its just a name for a knight of the kingsguard, just like Ser Gerold Hightower was called the White Bull.

Any care to explain the significance of the Sword of the Morning?

I never understood why the Sword of the Morning is important to the plot at all. Its just a name for a knight of the kingsguard, just like Ser Gerold Hightower was called the White Bull.

Any care to explain the significance of the Sword of the Morning?

No, it is not. The title is not given to Daynes in KG, but to any worthy member of the House. Its importance? Well, some believe that Dawn is original Lightbringer, and that wielder will have crucial role in War for Dawn 2.0.

The only person living who might qualify and doesn't not carry the name of Dayne would be Jon, if he is in fact part Dayne. This would debunk R+L=J but if it makes the story better, so what?

Dawn could be Lightbringer, but I've started wondering if it isn't the sword of The Great Other.

No, it is not. The title is not given to Daynes in KG, but to any worthy member of the House. Its importance? Well, some believe that Dawn is original Lightbringer, and that wielder will have crucial role in War for Dawn 2.0.

If that is the case, then the wielder will be Dany, Jon, or perhaps Stannis, the likely champion of light against the Other. Not some character who haven't had more than a page devoted to him.

I know this has been discussed, but I don't think it has been discussed in depth since certain released chapters.

We know the Sword of the Morning needs to be a Dayne. We are pretty certain Dawn is an important Sword in the future of the story. We know Dawn is still at Starfall.

House Dayne candidates:

Darkstar

Allyria (betrothed to Beric, interesting)

Edric

Other than Darkstar, I don't see Allyria or Edric as likely candidates

If Gerold is qualified, why isn't he already Sword of the Morning? What needs to happen for him to claim the sword?

(More importantly, what could GRRM fit into the story before the deadline, and have Darkstar wield Dawn in one of the final battles?)

Or, what would Edric need to do to be honored with the title and the sword?

Other candidates:

Elia Sand. Father Oberyn Martell, Mother Ellaria Sand. Grandfather Harmen Uller, Grandmother Unknown. Could Elia Sand have Dayne blood? I bring her up as a candidate because of her obviously stressed fighting skills, and that her namesake is Elia Martell. I don't find that insignificant.

Ashara Dayne's missing baby. Tons of theories about this one. Which established characters might be her missing child, male or female?

I do NOT think GRRM is going to pull the Sword of the Morning out of his arse, it will be someone we already know.

Edric Dayne is the actual lord of Starfall, so by legal rights it probably would be his. Plus he's actually been living out the "true knight" life, risking his life to uphold justice and protect the realm / people. Worthy ? Yes.

Gerold strikes me as someone who thinks he should be worthy because he's (possibly) the best living swordsman in the family. Perhaps this is the source of his bitter "Darkstar" behavior - he can't stand to see that shy goody-two-shoes Edric inherit a legendary blade.

I have a theory that only main branch Daynes from Starfell can become Sword of the Morning, no cadet branch wannabes. I think this is why Darkstar is bitter and has taken on his Of the Night persona, as a rebellion against the fact that he feels he should be Sword of the Morning but can't because he's a High Hermitage Dayne, not Starfell Dayne.

Darkstar is called the most dangerous person in Dorne, so he must be pretty darn good either a sword, so unless there's more to being Sword of the Morning than being good with a sword, being disqualified because you come from the "wrong" Dayne family would make a proud warrior pretty bitter.

So I think either Edric will get Dawn or no one of this generation will get it. The thing I find interesting about Dawn is the fact you have to "earn" it, and not by being born.

I think Edric has a better chance of wielding Dawn than Dorkstar. Dawn is not given to just any member of House Dayne, only to the one deemed worthy and that person would have to earn the right to wield the sword. As things stand I don't see Dorkstar as being worthy of wielding Dawn unless he steals it.

The only person living who might qualify and doesn't not carry the name of Dayne would be Jon, if he is in fact part Dayne. This would debunk R+L=J but if it makes the story better, so what?

Dawn could be Lightbringer, but I've started wondering if it isn't the sword of The Great Other.

... I hear this loud and clear

If that is the case, then the wielder will be Dany, Jon, or perhaps Stannis, the likely champion of light against the Other. Not some character who haven't had more than a page devoted to him.

Not all toys in the box will be Dany's, Jon's and/or Stannis'. Dawn is House Dayne's ancestral sword, thus it's theirs.

If GRRM wants to make this story interesting, he should have Darkstar steal it from the Starfall Daynes and slay Allaria, and then it would fall on Edric to avenge her.

Because without that this story would be totally uninteresting ;)

None if them are Daynes and Dawn is the Dayne family sword, it would not be given to a non -Dayne.

What sort of things would make someone worthy? And who would decide?

Granted, Dawn is like no other sword in the story.

Do those who want the title/sword go and perform some tasks and then present themselves to... someone at Starfall... and make a claim? Is there a vote? Who the heck is qualified to vote, if so?

My theory is that DarkStar was created by GRRM because he discarded the five years gap he wanted. With fiveyears gap we have a 17 yo Ned Daynes superbadass with Dawn. Without a fiveyears gap we have a 13yo lame unrealistic Dawn wielder. Grrm then created Darkstar to replace Ned. Gerold having a totally different personality from Ned was just GRRM trying not to be redundant.

Archived