Did Tywin know about the twincest?

BitsOfBrains

"A castle has no secrets" as Jon Snow reflects.

Is it possible that Tywin really did not know that Jaimie and Cersei were going at it?

I always just assumed he knew but never let on. He just seems too on top of everything to not know.

Tyrion seems to believe Tywin didn't know. He says something like, "Did you really believe I was so blind stupid as father?" to Cersei in reference to the twincest.

Even if he didn't know, after the Stannis letter spells it out for everyone you would have to assume Tywin would be like, "Gee, that explains a lot."

He hasn't really been around them while they have been screwing. There was the one time when they were children but Joanna didn't tell him. When one is at CR the other was usually at court, and when they are both at court Tywin is back at CR until Blackwater, and of course Jaime is a hostage then. I think he found out but I don't think he knew all along.

oh he had his ideas, that makes sense that they were always separated and he always had a pretext of why it was plausible of why they were in one place or the other.

There is no way that he doesn't have at least some doubts of what Jamie and Cersi were trying to do, is no less than what he did with this cousin, and trying to make Cersi Queen.

Hell it may have even appealed to him seeing as he wanted to be as high as his old friend Aerys before the relationship went sour.

he always had a pretext of why it was plausible of why they were in one place or the other.

Yeah thats another good point. It seems that as soon as they hit puberty he made sure they were never in the same place.

As far as the repressing comments, I don't see Tywin as the type to, "Deny a hard truth".

Yeah thats another good point. It seems that as soon as they hit puberty he made sure they were never in the same place.

As far as the repressing comments, I don't see Tywin as the type to, "Deny a hard truth".

He seemed to it do with with Tyrion though. He convinced himself that Tyrion would never inherit Casterly Rock and Jaime was his perfect little heir. I believe that even GRRM commented that he was somewhat deluded in that case.

He seemed to it do with with Tyrion though. He convinced himself that Tyrion would never inherit Casterly Rock and Jaime was his perfect little heir. I believe that even GRRM commented that he was somewhat deluded in that case.

Well Tywin gets to decide who inherits Casterly Rock. He could make Hodor his heir if he were so inclined.

And Jaimie is pretty perfect by Westeros standards.

He is very handsome and can kick more ass than 99.99% of the population.

I would be interested to read/see the interview where Gurm talks about Tywin fooling himself though.

Well Tywin gets to decide who inherits Casterly Rock. He could make Hodor his heir if he were so inclined.

And Jaimie is pretty perfect by Westeros standards.

He is very handsome and can kick more ass than 99.99% of the population.

I would be interested to read/see the interview where Gurm talks about Tywin fooling himself though.

Jaime can't inherit because he was named to the Kingsguard. Aerys appointed him to deny Tywin the heir he wanted.

yes but in supporting Robert and his claim he thought he was currying favor with the new king by ridding him of the old regime and keeping his hands clean. The lannisters not the starks or baratheons broke the old power for good by ending Aerys and Aegon.

One good turns deserves another and Robert by rights should have released Jamie from his vows. Under Joffrey he has another chance but Jamie this time rejects it. It was always Tywin's plan to get Jamie free of the Kingsguard

. It was always Tywin's plan to get Jamie free of the Kingsguard

Yeah I think as soon as Jaimie was named to the Kingsguard (the way it was presented in the book it wasn't even like he applied, was offered the job, and accpeted but just got a letter saying, "bring your ass you have no choice in the matter") Tywin immediately looking for a way to free him from his vows.

Archived