Regarding the Euron Greyjoy theories (spoilers all books)

Morbanth

Interesting theory. Euron and Daario certainly seem to have a similar personality - confident, dangerous, and successful with women (Euron says Victarion's salt wife came to him 'wet and willing') Maybe this is why HBO changed Daario and got a more 'northern Westerosi' looking guy in his place? Though I read another crazy theory that this switch was made because Daario is Benjen, which of course doesn't make any sense (I can't imagine Ned's little brother being a dashing paramour for one thing)

If Daario is Euron he's going to have a hard time telling Dany the truth. She doesn't forgive liars no matter how much they mean to her or her army (think Jorah)

Daario = Benjen wouldn't work series-wise, because we've already met Benjen in the show. If that was the case, it would have to rework it so that he was introduced straight away, ala Barristan Selmy in the series compared to the Whitebeard ruse in the books.

And I agree about Dany not forgiving liars.

I was about to post this exact thing. Makes Vic's mission a bit superfluous, no?

Exactly.

Interesting theory, though.

Or, more likely, because Ed Skrein is starring in the Transporter reboot and didn't have time to play Daario again.

But yeah, it's almost certainly not because D&D suddenly found out that they needed an actor who looked more like book-Euron...

Or that. But yeah the point is they recast the character for a production related reason that had nothing to do with new story information. And even if there was new story information and they wanted to keep the actor despite his appearance conflicting with something, they'd probably just change the story. It isn't like they've rigidly followed GRRM's story to date anyway.

No they didn't; they're both still alive and well. Conan Stevens left to play Bolg in The Hobbit, and Ian Whyte is still playing various minor characters (giants and white walkers) in seasons 3 and 4 of the series.

Yeah I was gonna say... Both actors are definitely alive and playing other roles, one of which is still involved with the show.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a "Gregor Clegane is a Faceless Man because he's been re-cast twice!" thread yet. I take that back. There probably is one somewhere and I just haven't found it yet.

Somehow I think there will be some twist involving Daario, but it won't have anything to do with Euron. I'm just interested to find out which of the betrayals Daario will end up being.

I think Daario is nothing more than a sellsword that just happens to be a romantic at heart and he's legitimately hurt by Dany marrying Hizdahr because he's in love with her. There's no need for any big twist with the character beyond that. Sometimes a sellsword is just a sellsword.

Supossedly, when Daario/Euron is sent by Dany to Lhazar, he goes back to the Iron Islands and calls the kingsmoot etc. and then he comes back to Meereen. I think this is a stretch as well, since sailing from Slaver's Bay over to the Iron Isles, staying there for a few months and coming back and completing his mission in Lhazar and going back to Dany would take more than a year, when Daario is away from Dany for like, a couple of months. Its an interesting theory but not at all possible IMO.

I agree and think the theory is a stretch as well. But not because of the timing. I always felt since Euron traveled the world, he knows the world is round so he can go from Slavery's Bay to Iron Island alot faster by just heading east instead of heading west and going around all those other lands.

The reason I think this theory is a stretch is the reason for sending Vic at all?

Honestly, I hope Euron is just Euron Greyjoy, Balon's Brother. A sadistic maniac who has dabbled in sorcery and has greater ambition then any other Ironborn since Harren the Black. Not everything needs to be a grand twist.

:agree:

Yeah I was gonna say... Both actors are definitely alive and playing other roles, one of which is still involved with the show.

Or maybe that's just what they want you to think. In order to keep Daario=Euron secret, they killed both previous Gregor Clegane actors using the same poison the KGB uses, and replaced them with duplicates who went on to play other roles.

And by they, of course, I mean David Benioff, who is also Euron/Daario in disguise. If he can get from the Iron Islands to Slaver's Bay to meet Dany and back in a month, who says he can't get to Belfast to meet DB Weiss in the seven months between production seasons?

Or maybe that's just what they want you to think. In order to keep Daario=Euron secret, they killed both previous Gregor Clegane actors using the same poison the KGB uses, and replaced them with duplicates who went on to play other roles.

And by they, of course, I mean David Benioff, who is also Euron/Daario in disguise. If he can get from the Iron Islands to Slaver's Bay to meet Dany and back in a month, who says he can't get to Belfast to meet DB Weiss in the seven months between production seasons?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah I hate "theories" like this where there's no literary evidence and it's just complete speculation based on the fact 2 characters have never been seen together.

That's not true at all. There's plenty of literary evidence for it, you can start with this thread:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/110110-debate-time-eurio/

One of the things which convinced me was not even related to this theory, but rather the excellent "Untangling the Meereneese Knot" -series of articles, where the author mentions that Daario suggests some super violent course of action to Daenerys every time they meet.

That's not true at all. There's plenty of literary evidence for it, you can start with this thread:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/110110-debate-time-eurio/

One of the things which convinced me was not even related to this theory, but rather the excellent "Untangling the Meereneese Knot" -series of articles, where the author mentions that Daario suggests some super violent course of action to Daenerys every time they meet.

Daario is a sellsword. Violence is what he knows. He isn't a politician or diplomat. And it's the Shavepate that keeps suggesting violence against his rivals. Daario suggests violent things as well but again, he's a sellsword. Bronn's suggestions and solutions tend to be violent too. They don't make him Euron. Or Ramsay. Or any other violent character.

Perhaps Daario is just Daario. Euron has a plan, I agree. Maybe Daario is being used somehow. Maybe he isn't. But the evidence suggesting they're the same person is very weak. There's overwhelming evidence that Daario is just a sellsword.

i cant find where he was in westeros en 1 month later in mereen, they do make a point in the books of him never being abel to be there when summond... im not so convinced.

it would make cents to send vic, he needs to lead the storm-crows.

they are described as looking the same ( whit out make up) en it makes Dario something other then a ken doll for deny to drool over.

i cant find where he was in westeros en 1 month later in mereen, they do make a point in the books of him never being abel to be there when summond... im not so convinced.

it would make cents to send vic, he needs to lead the storm-crows.

they are described as looking the same ( whit out make up) en it makes Dario something other then a ken doll for deny to drool over.

Euron was at Iron Isl before the Red Wedding. Daario was with Dany before the Red Wedding.

So its just not possible to keep travelling to and fro from Iron Isl to Yunkai within minutes.

Euron was at Iron Isl before the Red Wedding. Daario was with Dany before the Red Wedding.

So its just not possible to keep travelling to and fro from Iron Isl to Yunkai within minutes.

there is more time before the red wedding then " minutes" i belive.

I don't recall getting a clear place or time for hem, after the kings-moot, or before a day after bealon die's.

is this just before the wedding? en how do we know that dario was whit deny at that time ?

those few days is the only time he needs to be there, en away from deny. or did i mis some thing?

If there is anything more to Daario than appears -- I'd go for he never actually was loyal to Dany, or has switched sides yet again. That’d make Daario the One True Betrayal for Gold (instead of Jorah.), there. I'd be extremely satisfied with that outcome. No need for more.

Traveling back and forth between Meereen and the Iron Islands, when we are witnesses through Victarion, Quentyn, and Tyrion how long and how perilous such travels can be (especially with winter storms rising) makes the theory improbable. Not only would it take "a long time" to travel to the Iron Islands, but certainly Euron/Daario would need to stay a "reasonable amount of time" on the Iron Islands; and then travel for "a long time" again back to Meereen. A "few" months wouldn't cut it IMO.

(Or maybe Daario is (f)Aegon's brother. He is Tyroshi. Young Griff's mother is meant to be Tyroshi. They both dye their hair blue. Daario has blue eyes. Young Griff's eyes appear blue at times...also Daene-RYS. Va-RYS. Ae-RYS. Vise-RYS. Nae-RYS. Naha-RYS....all end in RYS. like Dracarys...

(I’m making this up as I write, beware crackpot...)

...Daario shares four letters with Daeron; Naharys shares five letters with Naerys. Naerys was married to Aegon the Unworthy and mother of Daeron... just saying we have a sort of almost pattern with Daario/Naharys/(f)Aegon and Daeron/Naerys/Aegon ;)...so...now that it's established Daario is a Blackfyre/Brightflame; remains to determine whether he's working on his own or if he's a spy (is he there to undermine or help (f)Aegon?). :leaving:

there is more time before the red wedding then " minutes" i belive.

I don't recall getting a clear place or time for hem, after the kings-moot, or before a day after bealon die's.

is this just before the wedding? en how do we know that dario was whit deny at that time ?

those few days is the only time he needs to be there, en away from deny. or did i mis some thing?

Robb hears about Euron claiming the Seastone chair before the RW and just the previous Dany chapter we see Daario with Dany. It takes MONTHS to get from Iron Isl to Yunkai.

Euron's claim was rejected and kingmoot was called for. Euron wins the kingsmoot and then goes to Shield Isl to attack.

Daario has been with Dany till the Mereen was captured.

Never was Daario or Euron were missing for MONTHS during this period. Meaning its not possible for Euron/Daario to keep travelling to and fro from Iron Isl to Yunkai/Mereen.

So unless Daario/Euron had a Tardis, its just not possible for them to be the same person.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, since we're speculating about whether there is something more than meets the eye about Daario, I'll share my thought on Daario. I think he may be a Blackfyre. I am re-reading Dany and here are two observations from Dany about Daario:

From ASOS-Chapter 42:

...and Daario Naharis was flamboyant even for a Tyroshi. His beard was cut into three prongs and dyed blue, the same color as his eyes and the curly hair that fell to his collar.

From ASOS-Chapter 71:

Daario had plundered himself a whole new wardrobe in Meereen, and to match it he had redyed his trident beard and curly hair a deep rich purple. It made his eyes look almost purple too, as if he were some lost Valyrian.

Add these two observations with the knowledge that the Blackfyres last base of operations was Tyrosh, than we may actually be looking at a Blackfyre of some sort.

Just an idle thought I had while re-reading Dany.

Michiel Huisman is going to be a series regular in season 5. Now, given that Daario ought to be missing for several episodes to parallel his long absence in the books, how could he be a regular? Of course D&D may have decided to show what's happening in Yunkai but I find it unlikely that they'll waste time and budget on a side-plot without any major characters in it.

But if Daario is Euron then Huisman can pop up at the kingsmoot early in season 5 (they'll kill Balon off very soon) Casting audition info has begun to leak... let's wait and watch. If Victarion's casting is leaked but not Euron's, we'll know why :)

The first post on this thread presents the Eurio theory quite well http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/110110-debate-time-eurio/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Euron can't be Daario because Arya is Daario. No, wait, Arya is Brianne. So that means Mormont's Raven is really Euron. Which means he can't be Daario because Daario clearly spent too much time in line at 7-11 waiting for his free Slurpy on Free Slurpy Day when instead he should have been using a time machine to fight Bloodraven for control of The Matrix. Because Freedom.

(Pauses for us all to smoke another bongload.)

Actually, of all the "S/he's really someone else" theories, this one ain't too shabby. But I'm still holding out for Penny to be one of the three heads of the dragon too...mostly though, I hope the next two books aren't just a parade of "Whoa, that dude is really THAT dude?!" revelations.

Daario is not Euron. The theory is impossible, based on an incorrect view of the timeline.

In The Prophet Aeron learns Balon is dead and that Euron returned the next day. Balon has been dead for not much more than three days. Robb learns Balon is dead before the RW so Euron returned in mid-ASOS.

Daario was with the Stormcrows or Dany in mid-ASOS.

So no.

Archived