Robert Baratheon Appreciation Thread

Robert had numerous shortcomings, that much is well documented. But what were some of his greatest strengths?

I have always been most impressed by the level of respect he was given as King. Even when he became a drunken whore monger, no one dared step out of line (except for Balon, who paid mightily for it). Apart from crushing the Targaryen dynasty, he rallied the Kingdoms and solidified his crown when he crushed the Greyjoy rebellion. The realm would never have bled such as it did if he had reigned longer.

He was a flawed man, king, father and husband, but he was still a dominant King in his own way.

Thoughts?

I respect Robert :cheers:

He did what any self-respecting man would have done, he didn't ask for any of it. He was arguably a more legendary character than any other that began living at the start of the series, had he stayed in shape he might very well have become "The Sellsword King"

Robert's best moments IMO:

1) Slaying Rhaegar. I hate that guy. Sorry :P

2) Slapping Cersei

3) Appointing Ned as his Hand, of all people

4) Changing his mind about the Dany matter on his deathbed

5) Winning 3 battles in a single day. Jesus!

He was a jolly person. Too jolly, at times. He want right downwards after claiming the throne. Shame, really.

He was self-aware. He knew exactly what he was. Too bad that didn't lead to him making better decisions.

This

Robert's best moments IMO:

2) Slapping Cersei

Because domestic abuse is such great thing...

The best thing about Robert is the fact he was once a good guy.

Robert Baratheon

Wrathful and nasty

When he drops the fuckin' hammer - invade like a pathogen

Now give him three whores so he can smack that ass again

And build a bigger orphanage to put all of his bastards in.

Rob was the man. He kept everyone in check - especially Cersei. That's why the bitch went haywire after his death - no one to restrain her.

The Hammer's glory shall never fade.

He was once good. I think he was more fit for the head of an army or the captain of a ship than a throne, he would have been a happy man. He was also kind of harmless. You know, a kind big oaf with good intentions, only bad ways to execute them.

He didn't always slap women but when he did... It was Cersei. Is that really domestic abuse?

She was his wife, as far as I know. Perhaps I am wrong? Am I?

He didn't always slap women but when he did... It was Cersei. Is that really domestic abuse?

Yep. I don't care how huge of a bitch one's wife is, hitting your wife IS domestic abuse. On the basis that men have the right to hit their wives when they're behaving badly, you never know what comes next, because every man has a different idea of bad behavior. "Today she refused to make me a sandwitch so I hit her. Well she was being a bitch!"

Archived