Dawn = Lightbringer?

Ser Duncan the Small

Ok, I just realized something, perhaps I am very late to the party. But I was just mulling over Dawn and the Sword of the Morning. Dawn is what? The sun rising, bringing light.... in essence Lightbringer. Dawn is forged from the heart of a fallen star. Much like the prophecy, Lightbringer is forged by plunging the sword through a heart. Now the one who wields Dawn is the finest swordsman of House Dayne correct? Stay with me here. The AA prophecy says when stars bleed and cold winds blow, Lightbringer will be drawn from the fire, and the one who draws forth Lightbringer will be AA reborn. With all this craziness in the realm and fAegon coming and Dany eventually, maybe Starfall finds its way under attack. And Satrfall bleeds and burns, and someone draws out the blade Dawn. I believe the next Sword of the Morning is going to be Azor Ahai.

I like this theory and I too think that Dawn could possibly be LB, but two questions, how did house Dayne get the sword? and if it was always theirs why change its name?

They got the sword when a star literally fell, or so the story goes, and they used it to forge Dawn. This being the legend of their House they named their castle Starfall and their sigil is a white sword with a falling star. Not sure why it was named Dawn, perhaps as a cryptic message of what it really is. For Dawn brings forth the Light

I do not believe that Dawn is Lightbringer. Dawn has ancient origins, but in Westeros. Azor Ahai and Lightbringer is a prophesy from Essos and may not refer to the Long Night. I think the best candidate is Ice. Here is my theory:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/115924-will-ice-become-the-new-lightbringer/

:)

I do not believe that Dawn is Lightbringer. Dawn has ancient origins, but in Westeros. Azor Ahai and Lightbringer is a prophesy from Essos and may not refer to the Long Night. I think the best candidate is Ice. Here is my theory:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/115924-will-ice-become-the-new-lightbringer/

How do you know Dawn has ancient Westerosi origins?

Also...AA totally refers to the Long Night.

How do you know Dawn has ancient Westerosi origins?

Also...AA totally refers to the Long Night.

Because the legend of the forging of Dawn and the founding of Starfall and House Dayne, a First Man House of Westeros.

The only parallel of Azor Ahai and The Last Night is "a great darkness" threatening the world (their known world), and it is a major tenet of the religion of R'hllor, from Asshai, in eastern Essos.

Because the legend of the forging of Dawn and the founding of Starfall and House Dayne, a First Man House of Westeros.

The only parallel of Azor Ahai and The Last Night is "a great darkness" threatening the world (their known world), and it is a major tenet of the religion of R'hllor, from Asshai, in eastern Essos.

So, in your own opinion, which legend does Azor Ahai and Lightbringer refer to?

I like it and have seen another theory that would put both of Ice's offspring in the same place and an armorer with great abilities.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/115909-cerseis-seven-judges-and-their-champions/

I like it and have seen another theory that would put both of Ice's offspring in the same place and an armorer with great abilities.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/115909-cerseis-seven-judges-and-their-champions/

I like the idea of a Trial by Sevens, but I don't buy the rest of it at all. Somehow Ice will be reunited, though!

That's an interesting theory, but I think it is too metaphorical. I think there would be more clues than that.

I wouldn't call it metaphorical, I think that this is how legends are made. After all if the dragon was named Star then it would be literally a falling Star.

The theory has been doing the rounds for quite some time. Personally, I believe Dawn is Lightbringer, and that the office of Sword of the Morning was created to hold the sword until it is needed again. I agree that the events in the AA legend and the Long Night are the same, much like real world flood mythology appears in many cultures around the globe, even if the details are often quite different.

Some objectors to the theory have stated that Dawn is pale as milkglass while Lightbringer is described as the red sword of heroes. And while on the face of it that is true, I do believe the sword needs to be ignited, probably with blood just like Beric Dondarrion ignited his sword for the trial by combat with Sandor. (And whose words are fire and blood?)

The theory has been doing the rounds for quite some time. Personally, I believe Dawn is Lightbringer, and that the office of Sword of the Morning was created to hold the sword until it is needed again. I agree that the events in the AA legend and the Long Night are the same, much like real world flood mythology appears in many cultures around the globe, even if the details are often quite different.

Some objectors to the theory have stated that Dawn is pale as milkglass while Lightbringer is described as the red sword of heroes. And while on the face of it that is true, I do believe the sword needs to be ignited, probably with blood just like Beric Dondarrion ignited his sword for the trial by combat with Sandor. (And whose words are fire and blood?)

The flood mythology from around the world is not all referring to the same event. Neither, necessarily, are the prophesies.

The Targaryens words are Fire and Blood! Makes sense now. Jon will be the Sword of the Morning and Azor Ahai. Epic

Archived