Fantasy Football 2014

l2 0 5 5

Would any one here do this trade:

I have Reggie Wayne and Brandin Cooks. I want either Ray Rice or Bishop Sankey. SHould I pull the trigger on one of them? Which one? zTHanks!

I'm leery of Stankey, just for the fact that last night he played very little with the first team offense. He may start off slow if he doesn't begin by starting, also I know he's had some fumbling issues this preseason.

Did an 8 team draft today, which I've never done before. I picked 5th. Ended up drafting thusly:

1: Eddie Lacy

2: DeMarco Murray

3: Brandon Marshall

4: Larry Fitzgrerald

5: Gronk

6: Toby Gerhart

7: Torrey Smith

8: Nick Foles

9: MJD

10: Reggie Wayne

11: Fred Jackson

12: Bishop Sankey

13: Kyle Rudolph

14: Phillip Rivers

15: Cardinals D

16: Alex Henery

Kind of meh. Really like my 1-2 RB duo, and think Gerhart has a chance to have a monster season as well. Probably should have pulled the trigger on more receivers, but just didn't have any sleepers that I liked, so figured I was better off getting decent RBs. I'll probably cut one after week 1 and take a flier on any non-roster guy who blows up week 1 at WR.

Did a 10-man PPR (with flex) draft last night. My draft strategy is very data-driven and I make some unconventional picks because of it. Basically I comb through all the stats projections I can find from sources that seem to have a decent track record and combine them. Then I look at each player's projected points relative to the Nth best player at that position, where N is the number of starters for that position. Basically a value over replacement player calculation (VORP).

Anyway, this is what I ended up with:

Starters

QB: RG3

RB1: Jamaal Charles

RB2: Andre Ellington

WR1: Julio Jones

WR2: Antonio Brown

TE: Jordan Cameron

Flex: Julian Edelman

D/ST: 49ers

K: Stephen Gostkowski

Bench:

QB: Matt Ryan

RB: Fred Jackson

WR: Riley Cooper

WR: Mike Evans

WR: James Jones

TE: Jordan Reed

I wasn't super happy with the Fred Jackson pick, as there were a couple of better RBs available at the time but they had the same bye week as one of my starters. I wasn't thrilled with RG3, but having Matt Ryan as a backup is good because he might have a bounce back season with Jones and White both healthy (fingers crossed on Jones). I loaded up on WR for my bench because RBs were really picked over and I feel that WRs are better as a flex in a PPR league (and each pick had greater projected points than any available RB that could go into the flex).

Based on pretty much all the different stat projections I've looked at, my starters are projected to be the best team in the league. But we all know how things don't go as planned.

Here's how my draft went.... I'm really pleased with it and think this could be a Super Bowl team depending on injuries:

Jamaal Charles, KC RB

Drew Brees, NO QB

Zac Stacy, StL RB

Larry Fitzgerald, Ari WR

Pierre Garcon, Wsh WR

Wes Welker, Den WR

Chris Johnson, NYJ RB

Anquan Boldin, SF WR

Panthers D/ST D/ST

Stephen Gostkowski, NE K

Greg Olsen, Car TE

Cecil Shorts, Jac WR

Hakeem Nicks, Ind WR

James Jones, Oak WR

Jarrett Boykin, GB WR

Terrance West, Cle RB

Here's how my draft went.... I'm really pleased with it and think this could be a Super Bowl team depending on injuries:

3 Jamaal Charles, KC RB 18 Drew Brees, NO QB 23 Zac Stacy, StL RB 38 Larry Fitzgerald, Ari WR 43 Pierre Garcon, Wsh WR 58 Wes Welker, Den WR 63 Chris Johnson, NYJ RB 78 Anquan Boldin, SF WR 83 Panthers D/ST D/ST 98 Stephen Gostkowski, NE K 103 Greg Olsen, Car TE 118 Cecil Shorts, Jac WR 123 Hakeem Nicks, Ind WR 138 James Jones, Oak WR 143 Jarrett Boykin, GB WR 158 Terrance West, Cle RB

Pretty solid team. Your bench picks are a perfect example of how deep the WR pool is in fantasy now. I like a league that starts 3 receivers because if it's any less than that then you're probably gonna have to bench a decent one.

Did a 10-man PPR (with flex) draft last night. My draft strategy is very data-driven and I make some unconventional picks because of it. Basically I comb through all the stats projections I can find from sources that seem to have a decent track record and combine them. Then I look at each player's projected points relative to the Nth best player at that position, where N is the number of starters for that position. Basically a value over replacement player calculation (VORP).

Anyway, this is what I ended up with:

Starters

QB: RG3

RB1: Jamaal Charles

RB2: Andre Ellington

WR1: Julio Jones

WR2: Antonio Brown

TE: Jordan Cameron

Flex: Julian Edelman

D/ST: 49ers

K: Stephen Gostkowski

Bench:

QB: Matt Ryan

RB: Fred Jackson

WR: Riley Cooper

WR: Mike Evans

WR: James Jones

TE: Jordan Reed

I wasn't super happy with the Fred Jackson pick, as there were a couple of better RBs available at the time but they had the same bye week as one of my starters. I wasn't thrilled with RG3, but having Matt Ryan as a backup is good because he might have a bounce back season with Jones and White both healthy (fingers crossed on Jones). I loaded up on WR for my bench because RBs were really picked over and I feel that WRs are better as a flex in a PPR league (and each pick had greater projected points than any available RB that could go into the flex).

Based on pretty much all the different stat projections I've looked at, my starters are projected to be the best team in the league. But we all know how things don't go as planned.

A really nice team especially considering PPR. Jones, Brown and Edelman get a lot of receptions.Your backs catch a lot of balls too, and don't rule out Fred Jackson because he makes about 3-5 catches a game.

So I just got through drafting in my standard league last night. Here's what I got

RB LeSean McCoy, WR Calvin Johnson,QB Nick Foles, RB DeMarco Murray, WR Antonio Brown, TE Julius Thomas, RB Andre Ellington, K Steven Haushka, D Carolina Panthers, and bench I got Joique Bell, Ben Roethlisberger, Ryan Matthews, Brian Hartline, Greg Jennings, Mike Williams.

I picked 5 overall out of ten, so I think I have a good team going.

Edit: Those picks aren't in order beyond the first two.

Pretty solid team. Your bench picks are a perfect example of how deep the WR pool is in fantasy now. I like a league that starts 3 receivers because if it's any less than that then you're probably gonna have to bench a decent one.

We have a flex, but with 3 decent running backs who are consistent it's hard to start a WR in that slot. I like having a deep WR regardless so I can pick favorable matchups as the season goes on. I really like skipping a second QB, K, and D to get more backs for even more depth.

Can't wait until my auction draft this Monday. Auctions are so much better than snake drafts.

We have a flex, but with 3 decent running backs who are consistent it's hard to start a WR in that slot. I like having a deep WR regardless so I can pick favorable matchups as the season goes on. I really like skipping a second QB, K, and D to get more backs for even more depth.

Can't wait until my auction draft this Monday. Auctions are so much better than snake drafts.

It's all about matchups. Never done an auction before.

So I just got through drafting in my standard league last night. Here's what I got

RB LeSean McCoy, WR Calvin Johnson,QB Nick Foles, RB DeMarco Murray, WR Antonio Brown, TE Julius Thomas, RB Andre Ellington, K Steven Haushka, D Carolina Panthers, and bench I got Joique Bell, Ben Roethlisberger, Ryan Matthews, Brian Hartline, Greg Jennings, Mike Williams.

I picked 5 overall out of ten, so I think I have a good team going.

Edit: Those picks aren't in order beyond the first two.

I got Shady second overall a couple weeks ago and really like him this year. Particularly in a league that has PPR. Calvin and Antonio Brown are nice too. Demarco could be really good if he plays 16 games.

I got Shady second overall a couple weeks ago and really like him this year. Particularly in a league that has PPR. Calvin and Antonio Brown are nice too. Demarco could be really good if he plays 16 games.

Yeah shady is who I wanted first round, so I was happy there. With manning/Rodgers gone early I opted to wait for a qb, I think Foles is solid.

Yeah shady is who I wanted first round, so I was happy there. With manning/Rodgers gone early I opted to wait for a qb, I think Foles is solid.

Agreed. If Brees/Manning/Rodgers isn't there then I'll wait cuz Foles, Ryan, and Romo are all good fantasy QB's who'll be there later.

And Romo is always underrated. But I think Luck will end up in that second tier by the end of the year too.

He's definitely underrated. He puts up good fantasy numbers, and will be throwing a lot this year since their D will have them behind. Luck has a lot of targets to throw to, and should have nice numbers as well.

He's definitely underrated. He puts up good fantasy numbers, and will be throwing a lot this year since their D will have them behind. Luck has a lot of targets to throw to, and should have nice numbers as well.

Especially with a healthy Reggie Wayne.

Btw Ross, I'm from Washington Pa... are you actually in Pittsburgh?

Especially with a healthy Reggie Wayne.

Btw Ross, I'm from Washington Pa... are you actually in Pittsburgh?

Nice man we're pretty close then. I live in Finleyville so only about twenty minutes or so from you. I'm about twenty minutes outside the city.

Archived