Balerion Leads the Way

Roose on the Loose

Arya is chasing an old tom cat. Some say he was Princess Rhaenys kitten Balerion.

He had run her half way across the castle; twice around the Tower of the Hand, across the inner bailey, through the stables, down the serpentine steps, past the small kitchen and the pig yards and the barracks of the Gold Cloaks, along the base of the river wall and up more steps and back and forth over Traitors Walk, and then down again and through a gate and around a well and in and out of strange buildings until Arya didn't know where she was.

One consolation of being chased is that you get to decide where the action goes next. Balerion leads Arya to a spot right in front of Myrcella, Tommen and entourage. There he finally gets caught or allows himself to get caught. But Arya lets him go when she realizes she's making a spectacle of herself.

This is a lucky coincidence for the cat. In order to plan it out so that Arya has to abandon the chase and deal with the royal family, Balerion would have to understand human society and royal courtesy. That's a lot to ask of a cat, but not of Bloodraven. If Balerion represents 2 of the thousand and one, then why would he plant Arya in this specific alley in this situation?

What happens next is a bit of a Rube Goldberg machine. Balerion/BR has an impeccable knowledge of the Red Keep. He knows that Arya is clever, and quick enough to get around 2 Lannister flunkies. Running away, she encounters an opening just big enough for her but too small for Lannister flunkies. Arya's smart enough to take that passage and another. This leads her down into the cellars where she discovers a way out of the castle that ultimately saves her life.

The Old Gods love the Starks.

I love Balerion and as mean as this sounds I think/hope he kills Tommen. If BR was leading Balarion and Arya as a result it is possible he didn't realize they would be intercepted by Myrcella and Tommen and he was really trying to get her down into those passages where she overheard Varys and Ilyrio.

Don't forget the other awesome story we have of Balerion, he stole a quail right off Tywin(or Kevin) Lannisters plate at dinner once.

Ok, then...

I don't think that BR is everywhere so easily. That said, I believe Balerion is one of the FEW animals in ASOIAF that he wargs constantly, other examples being Mormont's raven and Luwin's raven(s).

Balerion did take Arya in the direction of the Blackfyre reunion inside the vaults of the Red Keep, didn't he?

ETA: Could a warged Balerion foreshadow a warged Drogon? Or at least a warged dragon?

Since Syrio told Arya to chase cats he must be in on it.

No, no - it was a green dream !

Syrio had a green dream implanted in his head that Arya was "destined to chase a cat", but he screwed it up.

It was not that she would literally chase cats, but that she would be trying to desperately catch up with her mother, Catelyn.

:drunk:

Pet prediction: Balerion is going to like Faegon when he shows up in KL about as much as Bloodraven likes any Blackfyre. I will high five the next person I see if I read that the cat scratches him.

Balerion will hide undeneath the Iron Throne, and scratch the unworthy fAegon when he sits on it. When the pretender jumps up and cries out over his injured ankle, everyone will say the throne did it. :idea:

• 2 weeks later...

No, no - it was a green dream !

Syrio had a green dream implanted in his head that Arya was "destined to chase a cat", but he screwed it up.

It was not that she would literally chase cats, but that she would be trying to desperately catch up with her mother, Catelyn.

:drunk:

If I take your tone, you're pronouncing a mock theory, but I think the foreshadowing is for reals. Chasing cats - > chasing Cat.

Archived