Sansa's name

Eat My Steel

I love the idea of Sansa's name meaning that she is without her wolf. The Alysanne and Lyanna theories seem a bit weak to me, though.

Well, I did say the Alysanne one was crackpot. ;) I personally pronounce it Al ih san uh, so that's how I came up with it. But the Lyanna connection couldn't be more clear. Did you look at the various female names on the link JonCon gave you? Its filled with names similar to all three. Alys. Alysanne. Arra. Lorra. Arsa. Arrana. Marna. Lyarra. Sansa. Arya.

And I can't find it right now, but GRRM has actually said the names are just supposed to be harsh and soft (Arya, harsh, Sansa, soft.) Or, if you will, the two sides of Lyanna. If you have some time, perhaps you could check out the parallels between Arya, Sansa, and Lyanna. They're both supposed to invoke her and it's definitely no coincidence that all three names end in a. Here's a good start if you're interested in that.

So is Myrcella a secret Stark? Taena? Asha, Osha, Ashara, Wylla, Myranda, Mya, Lysa? Tysha and Chataya and Alayaya?

Yeah because they're all so similar and related to Lyanna.

If you look up though, you might see the point that seems to have completely gone over your head.

It's a bit weird that Ned named all his sons(and his nephew possibly) after someone, but he named none of his daughters after his dead sister

Per the TWOIAF family tree, "Rickon" is its own name, not a tribute to "Rickard". Both Rickon and Sansa are names the Starks have used before, but not for anybody particularly close to Ned. Robb, Jon, Bran and Arya all have reasonably proximate sources (or presumed sources).

Given the way that Ned is still traumatized by Lyanna's death 14 years later, I'm not really surprised that he didn't name one of the girls after her.

I got your point, I just disagree with it. Lyanna doesn't sound any more like Arya or Sansa than any of those other names.

Yet they're in the same family so unless you think GRRM just pulled fridge magnet letters when naming the main family of the series, it's not a baseless statement

When I think of Sansa I think of a stanza of poetry or song. It ties in nicely with the Song of Ice and Fire and contrasts nicely with Arya, or aria in an oprah. When I first read Sansa I could have swore it was a type of dance, but it is not. Sometimes I still think of Arya and Sansa as song and dance, but less so now that I've gotten to know Sansa as a character. In the throne room she showed how she can calm hearts and bring people together, and I like thinking of her as bringing people together in song and verse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6AQreUUyVE

Maybe since she was Ned & Cat's first born lady, they wanted to give her a name that was unique. To be honest, there isn't much to go by when answering this question. We can only wonder. I don't think it has any traditional roots in the Stark House so unless they were naming her after an unknown character close to Ned or Cat, then it might not have any meaning.

Maybe since she was Ned & Cat's first born lady, they wanted to give her a name that was unique. To be honest, there isn't much to go by when answering this question. We can only wonder. I don't think it has any traditional roots in the Stark House so unless they were naming her after an unknown character close to Ned or Cat, then it might not have any meaning.

It does. There was another Sansa Stark years before. If we want to play with it, we could say perhaps Catelyn saw a Sansa Stark in the Winterfell records, liked the name, chose it and Eddard agreed/approved or vice versa.

Archived