Can Somebody Explain House Dustin to me?

Lopsang

The significance of Lord Dustin is that, of Eddard's five dead companions at the Tower of Joy, he is the only one that GRRM keeps reminding us of. He is presumably the answer to the riddle of who the "they" are who came and found Ned with Lyanna's corpse ("they" are Lord Dustin and Howland Reed). Lady Dustin's bitching about Ned returning with Dustin's horse but not his bones are intended to subtly underscore the idea that "never lived to ride away" may be literally true without necessarily having the most simple and obvious meaning. And Lord Dustin's first name (Willam) is a clue to the riddle of Dany's earliest vague memories.

Also, there were like 3000 Bolton soldiers involved in the slaughter. Most of them just following orders and not knowing why they did what they did.

Does anyone seriously imagine that all of these 3000 guys are keeping their mouths shut when drinking, whoring, gambling or just loitering with other commonfolk?

News must have spread like wildfire. There is no way to keep a lid on this kind of thing.

And at that, a bunch of nobles like Patrek Mallister survived who would have seen Roose personally kill Robb

The House we should discuss is not House Dustin. House Dustin is extinct, and the widow of the last Lord Dustin is ruling their land due to the lack of other claimants. She's a Ryswell of the Rills, and the Ryswells are worth a discussion.

Lady Dustin's sister was the wife of Roose Bolton and the mother of Domeric Bolton. Since it apparently is not that much of a secret that Ramsay killed Domeric, I can only imagine that Lord Ryswell and Lady Dustin are no fans of Ramsay Snow, and doesn't appreciate that Roose named him heir. But I don't think they're plotting with Manderly, and I do think Lady Dustin's hate of the Starks is real. Basically lady Dustin and the Ryswells are playing their own devious game, and both Roose and Wyman Manderly need to be careful around this dangerous woman.

And we should not forget that Lady Dustin and Brandon Stark were lovers when they were young. I think this will be an important plot point somehow.

The House we should discuss is not House Dustin. House Dustin is extinct, and the widow of the last Lord Dustin is ruling their land due to the lack of other claimants.

Is it stated somewhere, that there are no more dustins around? Or do you just conclude that because otherwise Barbarey would not be head of the house Dustin?

If House Dustin is extinct in the male line, wouldn't that be a similar situation as the Hornwoods? And there Donella gets marriage proposals even though she's to old to have children. So if in the Hornwood case it seems to be considered possible to get a claim on the lands and castle by marrying the widow of the former lord. With that in mind it seems at least a bit strange, that Barbrey has not married again. She must have been still pretty young when her husband died.

The significance of Lord Dustin is that, of Eddard's five dead companions at the Tower of Joy, he is the only one that GRRM keeps reminding us of. He is presumably the answer to the riddle of who the "they" are who came and found Ned with Lyanna's corpse ("they" are Lord Dustin and Howland Reed). Lady Dustin's bitching about Ned returning with Dustin's horse but not his bones are intended to subtly underscore the idea that "never lived to ride away" may be literally true without necessarily having the most simple and obvious meaning. And Lord Dustin's first name (Willam) is a clue to the riddle of Dany's earliest vague memories.

This reminded me of one theory regarding R + L = D and B + A = J. It's one of my favourite theories and the one that I know will not come to fruition : /

Is it stated somewhere, that there are no more dustins around? Or do you just conclude that because otherwise Barbarey would not be head of the house Dustin?

No, there probably will be some people with Dustin blood floating around, but not with a claim strong enough or sufficient clout to unseat Lady Barbrey Dustin.

If House Dustin is extinct in the male line, wouldn't that be a similar situation as the Hornwoods? And there Donella gets marriage proposals even though she's to old to have children.

Indeed. However, marrying Lady Donella and through her ruling as Lord Protector of the Hornwood for some time is a very attractive perspective for numerous highborn younger sons.

So if in the Hornwood case it seems to be considered possible to get a claim on the lands and castle by marrying the widow of the former lord. With that in mind it seems at least a bit strange, that Barbrey has not married again. She must have been still pretty young when her husband died.

A man who marries the widow of a late Lord, who ruled in his own right and whose House became extinct in the male line upon his death, may for the time being rule as Lord Protector of the lands and castle. However, he does not become entitled to the land and castle in his own right and his rule ends when the new Lord/Lady, a blood-relative of the late Lord who has been selected or approved by the Liege Lord, arrives or comes of age, whatever the case may be.

What Ramsay Snow did in ACoK with the widowed Lady Hornwood, forcible marrying her and then letting her sign a will bequething the Hornwood lands and castle to him, was contrary to law. On top of that Lady Donella has no authority to will away the Hornwood estate because she is not a Hornwood by right of blood.

Ramsay would have paid with his life for his actions, but he was lucky to escape that fate. However, as soon as the Boltons are ousted his "lordship" of the Hornwood will be consigned to the trash heap where it rightfully belongs.

With that in mind it seems at least a bit strange, that Barbrey has not married again. She must have been still pretty young when her husband died.

Eddard Stark probably respected her wishes not to marry again.

If House Dustin is extinct in the male line, wouldn't that be a similar situation as the Hornwoods? And there Donella gets marriage proposals even though she's to old to have children. So if in the Hornwood case it seems to be considered possible to get a claim on the lands and castle by marrying the widow of the former lord. With that in mind it seems at least a bit strange, that Barbrey has not married again. She must have been still pretty young when her husband died.

Many of house Dustin of Barrowton's sworn houses are themselves referred to as "Dustins" even if they aren't called Dustin, since referencing every petty lord and knight is time consuming you could simply just refer to all of them by their direct liege's house name, some of said petty lords may well be other Dustins, though I doubt Lord Willam had any male relatives closer than first cousins, otherwise Barrowton would have gone to them.

I mean, who did he think he was? Bringing his sister's bones but not those of some guy who married the girl Brandon dishonoured? Pfff...

I feel he should have brought everyone's bones back in one big box - sorting them out could have been a fun activity to help everyone through the grieving process. "Does this look like Theo's shin to you?" "Nah that's definitely an Ethan"

House Dustin is Martin's subtle way to warn us about House Hightowers real role

Ormund/Bryndon Hightower vs Roderick Dustin

Gerold Hightower vs Willam Dustin

The warning about the Hightower bastard Maester Walys from Barbrey Dustin

Can you explain this like I'm a newbie? I'm trying to put the names together but can't.

Archived