Gendry's knighthood

Stannis's birthright

the followers of the Seven anoint knights and any knight can make another .. the north men that don't follow the seven aren't made knights because of their religion . Now to Gendry . He doesn't follow the Seven nor does he even like them but is a follower of the Red God and is a knight .. WTF .. So are there Knights of the Red God as well ? I am confused ..

Quickly looked around a little bit and apparently it's uncommon but not unheard of for followers of the old gods to be knighted. But in the end, any knight can make another knight so although there are some customs attached to knighting ceremonies, there aren't any formal religious requirements. Plus Gendry is awesome so he deserves to be knighted.

The knighting has a religious connotation with the Seven, but remember than being knighted is an honour, a form of recognition for one's value and courage as well. For instance, we have Jorah being knighted after Balon Rebellion, despite him being from the North and a follower of the Old Gods.

I suppose that the Red Religion is a bit more open about it. Otherwise, all of the knights that follow Stannis would have to renounce to their knighthoods.

The knighting has a religious connotation with the Seven, but remember than being knighted is an honour, a form of recognition for one's value and courage as well. For instance, we have Jorah being knighted after Balon Rebellion, despite him being from the North and a follower of the Old Gods.

:agree:

Further examples include Ser Harras Harlaw (Drowned God), Ser Rodrik Cassel (Old Gods) and all the young squires Barristan knights in Meereen (lots of different faiths).

He is a northmen, as is rodrik.

:agree: Mormont is called "the Andal" by a foreigner, just as for Salah ad Din every european would be a "Frank", be him a norman knight born in Alexandretta or a Genoan merchant or the king of England. To the Khal, every westerosi is an Andal, and the rest just squabbling about differences between minor, far away tribes and gods.

But I really don't get the point on Gendry: why does him "need" to be knighted?

Do characters in this series get what they deserve? Is being knighted something Gendry would like or need?

Although Gendry clearly does not believe in Seven/Red unity, it seems many of the characters of the Riverlands would be open to it.

But I agree that there seems to be a contradiction. At times people say "any knight can make a knight" (as with Dunk) and at other times people say knights are consecrated with holy oil (presumably by a septon).

But I agree that there seems to be a contradiction. At times people say "any knight can make a knight" (as with Dunk) and at other times people say knights are consecrated with holy oil (presumably by a septon).

No contradiction. Only two ways to do things. Schwertleite und Ritterschlag, if you want to know the original (german) words.

The Schwertleite was the culmination of a 14-year-long education and a very expensive ceremony. The Ritterschlag five minutes on the battlefield.

The septon and the holy oils are needed for the Schwertleite, as well as an entire bunch of knights. Only one knight is needed for the Ritterschlag.

I suppose the whole rite and ointment is purely ceremonial, specially when it involves important noble guys. Jaime spent the night in a sept, probably after been blessed, but was knighted by Arthur, another knight, at the end.

It's like the catholic marriage: you see the bride dressing in white, with flowers, walking down the aisle with her father and music. All of that, inside of a fancy church. That's just the ceremony. A priest can marry you in his office, with only the bride, the groom and a couple of witness, and no need for fancy clothes.

Archived