Would you kill Littlefinger?

Two and a Halfhand

Fair? No. Then again when has fairness ever come into the fold on executions?

Depends on what side I'm on, if I'm a Lannister/Tyrell and suspect him of killing Jon Arryn, I wouldn't kill him, but keep an extra eye on him for sure.

If I was Tyrion, I would have killed him the moment I stepped foot in Kings Landing. Littlfinger isn't always subtle. He framed Tyrion the first time for Bran's stabbing in a very sloppy way. The only reason he is still alive is because the plot needs him. If he had been Eddard Stark that mess up alone would be enough for him to die,

If I was Tyrion, I would have killed him the moment I stepped foot in Kings Landing. Littlfinger isn't always subtle. He framed Tyrion the first time for Bran's stabbing in a very sloppy way. The only reason he is still alive is because the plot needs him. If he had been Eddard Stark that mess up alone would be enough for him to die,

What would he be accused of though? Catelyn isn't there to give evidence and corroborate that he told that story and even then she's a rebel and a traitor. Ned is dead. Varys doesn't seem inclined to stop his helping chaos which furthers Aegon's advance. Why would Cersei let him execute LF? She's the regent, she has the power to stop Tyrion from legally killing him...now illegally, that's another story.

What would he be accused of though? Catelyn isn't there to give evidence and corroborate that he told that story and even then she's a rebel and a traitor. Ned is dead. Varys doesn't seem inclined to stop his helping chaos which furthers Aegon's advance. Why would Cersei let him execute LF? She's the regent, she has the power to stop Tyrion from legally killing him...now illegally, that's another story.

What were the people who Tyrion killed, sent to the black cell, or sent to the wall accused of?

Kings Landing, pal. No such thing as innocent until proven guilty.

Littlefinger has a method in which he helps you against problems and enemies you have which you think are bigger than him until he uses the power he has to stab you in the back. Which makes being aware of his duplicity not easy until it happens.

But even Littlefinger can't keep this up forever with all sides. Sometimes he has to choose and while his fortunes rises with your enemies or appears in the Vale taking power as lord protector and Lysa Arryn dies then you can see that and oppose him if you are Stark, Tully.

Anyway, if I was in Ned's position, I think I would have been betrayed by Littlefinger too.

It is hard to not put any trust when you are a stranger in a nest of vipers and one person appears who claims to help you and your wife says there was a connection with him. I can understand how both Ned and Catelyn fell into LF trap.

Tyrion on the other hand who also appears to be open to more ruthless methods could have done something more with the knowledge he did have. That other people who dealt with LF didn't have. He didn't even communicate that knowledge with his family and tell them that LF is dangerous and untrustworthy and playing his own game.

He deserves to get all the power he aimed for, and then face Other invasion in Westeros. And realize that all his careful plans could go awry because, as Ned Stark wisely reminded everyone,

Winter Is Coming.

Alternatively, I'd make Lady Stoneheart kill him. I'd finally feel sad for LF if he chooses her love instead of quill(to give money)/noose.

Littlefinger has a method in which he helps you against problems and enemies you have which you think are bigger than him until he uses the power he has to stab you in the back. Which makes being aware of his duplicity not easy until it happens.

But even Littlefinger can't keep this up forever with all sides. Sometimes he has to choose and while his fortunes rises with your enemies or appears in the Vale taking power as lord protector and Lysa Arryn dies then you can see that and oppose him if you are Stark, Tully.

Anyway, if I was in Ned's position, I think I would have been betrayed by Littlefinger too.

It is hard to not put any trust when you are a stranger in a nest of vipers and one person appears who claims to help you and your wife says there was a connection with him. I can understand how both Ned and Catelyn fell into LF trap.

Tyrion on the other hand who also appears to be open to more ruthless methods could have done something more with the knowledge he did have. That other people who dealt with LF didn't have. He didn't even communicate that knowledge with his family and tell them that LF is dangerous and untrustworthy and playing his own game.

I can't blame Ned for trusting LF at first, but I do and can blame him for basing his whole succession plan on LF committing himself and the gold cloaks to deposing Joffrey for Stannis...seconds after Littlefinger patiently explains all the reasons why this would be a terrible idea and that he, Littlefinger, very much does not want to do it.

I can't blame Ned for trusting LF at first, but I do and can blame him for basing his whole succession plan on LF committing himself and the gold cloaks to deposing Joffrey for Stannis...seconds after Littlefinger patiently explains all the reasons why this would be a terrible idea and that he, Littlefinger, very much does not want to do it.

That is more due to desperation and being out of options as due to their numbers the gold cloaks would have been decisive. However he should have taken Renly's offer previously.

But even with Renly he would need at some point to bring Stannis in with his troops in KL to take power which Renly might not like or protest against. Still taking Renly's help and striking first and fast was the better choice.

That is more due to desperation and being out of options as due to their numbers the gold cloaks would have been decisive. However he should have taken Renly's offer previously.

But even with Renly he would need at some point to bring Stannis in with his troops in KL to take power which Renly might not like or protest against.

I get the sense that Renly only committed himself to claiming the crown when Ned spurned his alliance. He knew Ned was doomed.

If Ned was that desperate, he would've accepted Renly's offer, which as you say, he very much should have. Ned, like so many before and since, simply refuses to take LF seriously, because to do so would have meant abandoning his cherished worldview.

I get the sense that Renly only committed himself to claiming the crown when Ned spurned his alliance. He knew Ned was doomed.

If Ned was that desperate, he would've accepted Renly's offer, which as you say, he very much should have. Ned, like so many before and since, simply refuses to take LF seriously, because to do so would have meant abandoning his cherished worldview.

When Renly left he didn't have any other options.

But sure he underestimated LF betraying him too.

After LF gave him the message I don't like Stannis becoming king but I am going to do it, I am not sure how easy it would be for Ned to come up with something superior.

Well our perspective and Ned's are different. Renly could well have been a a more duplicitous asshole than what he was (we have a lot more information than Ned) and would not have liked the idea of abandoning power to his brother. The Stannis choice wasn't really popular among pretty much most powerful players in King's Landing.

That LF orchestrated the war and had it against the Starks from the beginning, and the lengths of betrayal he went for isn't something so predictable. There was more to Littlefinger's betrayal than him not wanting Stannis to rule.

Well, he could've bent the knee to Joffrey. Not saying it's a great choice, but he had it.

Knowing what he knows you are going to try to win.

I mean it does exist but it is the kind of choice that a person with Ned's and many other personalities are unable to choose if you think you have a chance to come on top. Or it is very human to see him not making that choice.

Knowing what he knows you are going to try to win.

I mean it does exist but it is the kind of choice that a person with Ned's and many other personalities are unable to choose if you think you have a chance to come on top. Or it is very human to see him not making that choice.

He wasn't trying to win, he was desperately trying to preserve his honor. If he'd been trying to win, he never would've warned Cersei what he was planning. And he was most certainly not unable. Ned has lived with the lie of Jon's parentage for fifteen years, he couldn't swallow his goddamned pride for the sake of peace? It's just too easy to see the narrow-minded characters as ''unable'' to change their ways. They're just unwilling to do so.

He wasn't trying to win, he was desperately trying to preserve his honor. If he'd been trying to win, he never would've warned Cersei what he was planning. And he was most certainly not unable; Ned has lived with the lie of Jon's true parentage for fifteen years. He couldn't swallow his goddamned pride for the sake of peace? It's just too easy to see the narrow-minded characters as ''unable'' to change their ways. They're just unwilling to do so.

Submitting to Joffrey doesn't preserve the peace. And it would be narrow minded to do so, the right choice if you don't think you can win would be to leave with his family if it was at all possible. If not, then you lose one way or another under the mercy of the Lanniters and the most likely way to act for anyone in Ned's position is to try to win.

Baratheon Lannister war happens. With Ned and others as hostage or at best and kind of unlikely allowed to leave.

Then Cersei, Joffrey personality probably create other conflicts as well.

If a war is happening siding with your enemies isn't really the best choice.

And yes giving a warning to Cersei due to Ned's mercy and compassion against her children was a wrong move that he did due to narrow perspective. But a human one (and actually makes me like him more as bad move as it was) Not submitting to Joffrey not really. And even if less honorable I don't know many men who think they can win who would submit to the people who killed their king, think killed their mentor and father figure, think attempted to kill their son twice, had the whole direwolf incident and also have Cersei's and Joffrey's personality and are known to be ruthless to rival families and deceitful.

Archived