MMA & Boxing 15 - Cain Velasquez spends so much time injured he should play for Arsenal

Davrum

Aldo is a beast. Purely Brazilian style of fighter. Wonderful to watch. Happy to see him display all the skill of the lighter weight fighters. Mendes is a really game fighter. Made it all the more exciting.

It'd be nice if more Brazilians handled American wrestlers like Aldo does.

Another mainevent falls through as Manuwa gets injured. OSP steps up to fight Shogun...which will probably be terrible. At least McCall and Lineker are the Co-main now. Benson Henderson vs Eddie Alvarez is now a thing. I was expecting them to give Alvarez a slightly easier fight but this should be awesome, beating Cerrone would have really established him but beating Benson at this point is almost as good.

Personally I think OSP is a harder fight for Shogun. Hope he shows up. Also just saw that Anderson Silva and Shogun will coach the next Ultimate Fighter: Brazil, but won't fight each other at the end.

Johnson's KO over Little Nog sort of impressed me, but I'm not much of a fan of his. It will be interesting to see if the ufc reinstates him right away given all the domestic violence issues going on in other sports. You're right about light heavyweight needing some new blood though.

No but I don't really see it being anyone other than Gus; there were plans for Rashad v Gus since Rumble got suspended but Rashad doesn't want to fight Gus anymore. Rashad and Rumble wouldn't fight because they're teammates. So unless they decide to feed him someone like Bader I think it has to be Gus - which will be such an awesome fight. Early 2015 is gonna be a great time to be an MMA fan, there are so many awesome fights. Hopefully the MMA gods will stop injuring everyone!

Robert Whittaker was one of the most entertaining fighters at 170 and now he's one of the most exciting at 185. Hester is a massive MW and yet Whittaker, in his first ever fight at the weight, ate shots like a monster. Well deserved bonus for those guys.

Meanwhile Rockhold is the one I most want to see fight Weidman. His striking is so fluid, his wrestling so accurate, his submissions so beautiful and his face so dreamy. Jacare is excellent but Luke is excellenter and I'd back him to beat Jacare again.

Yeah I agree, I think Rockhold vs Weidman would be amazing (and not only because they're both super attractive). It feels like such a shame non-TRT Vitor is fighting Weidman because I think he's going to get beaten easily. I would have really liked to see a rematch between Vitor and Rockhold to see how much difference the TRT made. I'm not sure what they're gonna do now, I seriously doubt Jacare is going to agree to fight Rockhold. Maybe Jacare vs Yoel Romero and Lyoto vs Rockhold? MW is looking very interesting.

I don't think Jacare gets to refuse if that's the fight the brass chooses, nor would he try to. Fighters love a chance to rematch guys they've lost to and Jacare would back himself to take care of Luke.

They definitely can refuse fights that the brass want, they pay their managers a ton of money to talk to the UFC and get them the most preferable matches - lots of people refuse, Dana occasionally comes out and shames them for it. Jacare thinks he's earned a title shot, he just wants to sit out until they give him it. I think he's going to be very hard to convince to fight someone as dangerous as Rockhold but I guess we'll see because it's probably the fight that the UFC is trying to put together.

Well that was a pretty shitty card, massive robbery in the co-main and then Shogun just got murdered. I couldn't tell if Shogun slipped or if a strike brought him down, I turned it off before they replayed it. Shogun needs to retire and Brazil has biased judges - that card didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

Just like everywhere else Brazil has all kinds of judges (witness Machida vs Davis) and shitty decisions happen everywhere (witness Pearson vs Sanchez).

I agree about Shogun though. It's just not fun to watch him anymore. Ben Fowlkes wrote that it just made him feel "sad" and I get that 100%.

Just like everywhere else Brazil has all kinds of judges (witness Machida vs Davis) and shitty decisions happen everywhere (witness Pearson vs Sanchez).

I agree about Shogun though. It's just not fun to watch him anymore. Ben Fowlkes wrote that it just made him feel "sad" and I get that 100%.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Yes there are shitty judges everywhere, but Brazil seems to have the most. Seems to be a least a couple very controversial scorecards at every event there. But again that brings up the old saying of "don't leave it in the hands of the judges".

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Yes there are shitty judges everywhere, but Brazil seems to have the most. Seems to be a least a couple very controversial scorecards at every event there. But again that brings up the old saying of "don't leave it in the hands of the judges".

I'm going to respectfully respond by mentioning that of the 29 (incl. "honourable" mentions) Most Disputed Decisions of 2013 a mere 3 were cases of a Brazilian "winning" against a non-Brazilian in Brazil. For both Assuncao/TJ and RDA/Dunham two of the "erring" judges were non-Brazilians. For Maldonaldo/Beltran the notorious Sal D'Amato was one of the 2 responsible. In all 5/7 of the erring judges in those fights were non-Brazilians. That kinda means that only 2/87 of the most disputed scores of 2013 came from a Brazilian judge in favour of a Brazilian fighter in Brazil. Even allowing for the fact I'm not doing exact science here, that's a remarkably tiny percentage.

So in addition to the fact most of the judges who're fucking up are non-Brazilians, while 7/33 (21%) 2013 UFC events were in Brazil only 3/29 (10%) of the most disputed MMA decisions (they include other orgs) of the year were Brazilians beating non-Brazilians, which suggests Brazil features significantly fewer controversies per card than Everywhere Else. From that list we could also look at Mr Wonderful's "win" over Machida and add in Richman vs Bezzera and Stout vs Fodor in the US, where non-Brazilians were given highly controversial wins over Brazilians, and see that not only does the same thing happen in the other direction, but all 7 of the judges who scored against the Brazilians in those controversial decisions were non-Brazilians. So from a wider perspective it really does seem to go both ways and if anything the Brazilians are doing a better job than average.

Archived