health of Kingsguard at the end of DwD

Johnnyrocket

I just finished DwD, and in the epilogue Kevan states he needs to find new members of the Kingsguard, considering Balon is hunting Darkstar, the Kettleblacks are royally screwed, and the only ones left are Boros (a fat craven bastard who is forced to eat all day) Meryn Trant and Robert Strong. Kevan doesn't trust Robert either, considering he believes him to be undead.

Kevan had high hopes to restore the Kingsguard, and Varys ruined those hopes real quick. Would it be out of line to suggest that, since Varys' goal in killing Kevan was to undo his attempts at restoring peace and uniting the seven kingdoms under Tommens rule, Varys is well aware that Tommen is more vulnerable now then ever...and whatever end goal he is going for might include killing Tommen?

I boldly assume Tommen will get blasted in the first quarter of WoW. there are theories within the Valonquar prophecy that state Tommen will die, why not right off the bat? Better now then any other time, and once Tommen dies, with Cersei captive awaiting trial, fAegon, whether real or phony, could seize the opportunity and gain the throne. Only ones to stand in his way would be the Tyrells, who were long time Targaryen supporters even after the Mad King died. Varys obviously wants to seat fAegon on the throne, why not? The valonquar could technically be fAegon if this were true

The Tyrells will no longer be an issue once Randyll Tarly turncoats on Mace Tyrell in favor of fAegon. He is the Tyrell's most powerful vassal, not to mention one of the best military minds in the realm.

Why would he do that? He kept faith with Mace and Aerys against Robert, so why would he abandon Mace for Aegon now? Especially if Aegon would turn out to be a Blackfyre?

Why would he do that? He kept faith with Mace and Aerys against Robert, so why would he abandon Mace for Aegon now? Especially if Aegon would turn out to be a Blackfyre?

I think shmewdog has mistaken the Tarlys for the Hightowers.

I think Varys wants Tommen to still be around for when Aegon shows up. A boy king and an incompetent regent would make the conquest of King's Landing as easy as possible.

I just finished DwD, and in the epilogue Kevan states he needs to find new members of the Kingsguard, considering Balon is hunting Darkstar, the Kettleblacks are royally screwed, and the only ones left are Boros (a fat craven bastard who is forced to eat all day) Meryn Trant and Robert Strong. Kevan doesn't trust Robert either, considering he believes him to be undead. Kevan had high hopes to restore the Kingsguard, and Varys ruined those hopes real quick. Would it be out of line to suggest that, since Varys' goal in killing Kevan was to undo his attempts at restoring peace and uniting the seven kingdoms under Tommens rule, Varys is well aware that Tommen is more vulnerable now then ever...and whatever end goal he is going for might include killing Tommen? I boldly assume Tommen will get blasted in the first quarter of WoW. there are theories within the Valonquar prophecy that state Tommen will die, why not right off the bat? Better now then any other time, and once Tommen dies, with Cersei captive awaiting trial, fAegon, whether real or phony, could seize the opportunity and gain the throne. Only ones to stand in his way would be the Tyrells, who were long time Targaryen supporters even after the Mad King died. Varys obviously wants to seat fAegon on the throne, why not? The valonquar could technically be fAegon if this were true

A lot depends on whether Loras Tyrell is really as melted as they say. (And Jaime's fate.)

Those two plus "Robert Strong" are the real kingsguard. Kettleblack is mediocre, assuming he's not headed to the Wall or the block for what he's done. Trant is mediocre, but I suspect his Lannister loyalties wil remain strong; so he may get killed off by the likes of the Sand Snakes. As for Blount, he's actually worse than having nobody at all - at least if he was dead they could replace him.

The Tyrells will no longer be an issue once Randyll Tarly turncoats on Mace Tyrell in favor of fAegon. He is the Tyrell's most powerful vassal, not to mention one of the best military minds in the realm.

Why do so many people think this? I can't remember anything from the text to indicate that Randyl is unhappy with Mace.

Also, he is the best military mind but no where near the most powerful vassal in the Reach. That would be the Hightowers, followed by the Redwynes, and Rowans.

Why do so many people think this? I can't remember anything from the text to indicate that Randyl is unhappy with Mace.

Also, he is the best military mind but no where near the most powerful vassal in the Reach. That would be the Hightowers, followed by the Redwynes, and Rowans.

And the Oakhearts.

It's because the comments of "in the Reach" is often taken out of context.

Archived