Tywin Planning War?

King Jon Targaryen I

It seems to me rather odd because Tywin hired the Brave Companions which had to have been done I would say almost before. Tywins planned raids and attacks on the Riverlands seem to be him preparing and waiting for Roberts death seems rather strange don't you think. This could all be due to the time it takes messages and information to be passed, it could be a factor. It seems to me Tywin was already building up his war machine, which is for what I have no idea I think it could be the fact that he heard that Robert was going to make Eddard Stark Hand of the King. I remember in interviews with Martin him saying that Robert never trusted Tywin or he doesn't fully trust the Lannister to which its strange because he could have gone after Tywin to be Hand of the King. He was a great administrator during Aerys reign but maybe Robert knew that Lannisters wanted to increase their power in the Seven Kingdoms with people like Grand Maester Pycelle being Tywins agent.

Though Robert doesn't blame Tywin for the Sack of King's Landing it is rather odd I would say that Robert did not go for Tywin to be hand after Jon Arryn died, to which I think Tywin expected Robert to do but instead he choose Ned Stark. I think Tywin knew Eddard Stark was going to be a problem and realized Ned could bring up old bad blood over the Sack all over again. Its kinda like when Oberyn Martell came and his appearance was a huge problem for the Lannisters.

My answer to the Tywin question goes back to something Stannis told Davos. When he and Robert were boys, they went to Kings Landing to see the king hold court. The king on the throne spoke with so much authority that he seemed to be the proper man for the job. Then they found out that Aerys had pricked himself on the throne and had to leave the duties to Tywin.

Robert was afraid that Tywin would make people forget who King was.

It seems to me Tywin was already building up his war machine, which is for what I have no idea ...

To stop the Starks/Arryns/Baratheons/Tullys from deposing and executing his daughter and grandchildren and possibly destroying House Lannister into the bargain. He knew about the accusation against the parentage of the children Jon, Stannis and Ned were going to make since at least the beginning of book one, and likely before that.

Tywin heard that they were heading north to get Ned. He also heard that the man who stood next in line of succesion after his daughters children, had left the council to go to Dragonstone. He had half a year to prepare, so he got the most ruthless sellswords he could. So they could perform the Rains of Castamere on the RiverLands.

I wonder what informations Tywin got from Cersei about Jon and Stannis' investigation, because they were discreet about their assumption that Robert's kids aren't his. Jon borrowed book from Pycelle, visited with Stannis blacksmith and brothel and planned Robin to be squire for Stannis, nothing seems like we want destroy Cersei and her children.

I just find it very strange that's all, because I study Geo politics and Political science and it seems interesting that Tywin would react has he did. Seems to me he was trying to send a message with that, also Robert was in debt to Tywin.

Tywin was worried about Stannis because he had a great military mind and was a tested Battle Commander. His attack on the riverlands was important and was a calculated move on his part. He could have went North but he didn't, Tywin knows who are the bannermen of the North like Roose Bolton. Using the Brave Companions is perfect cover.

Tywin knew Robert was going charlie - the phantom's revenge (adriene remix) mp3to make Ned his Hand of the King.

this was when he began to prepare.

Tywin had probably been planning for Robert's eventual death. He probably suspected Stannis or Renly or both would dispute the succession, because that's what uncles does. And if they didn't he probably had plans to get rid of them anyways (any uncle of the king would always be a threat).

So he had been planning for some kind of war for years. When Tyrion was kidnapped he thus could react quickly, though he had never probably guessed that Starks or Tullys would be the ones making the first move.

But that one makes little sense and is contradicted by the timeline

Not really. Both Jaime and Tyrion seem to know the Brave Companions fairly well so it stands to reason that Tywin has used their services in the past, despite there being very little large scale war in the last two decades.

They may have already been in Westeros, or even the Westerlands, when war broke out or close by in Pentos so to meet up with Tywin before the battle of Green Fork but after the Battles of Golden Tooth and Riverrun.

Not really. Both Jaime and Tyrion seem to know the Brave Companions fairly well so it stands to reason that Tywin has used their services in the past, despite there being very little large scale war in the last two decades.

They may have already been in Westeros, or even the Westerlands, when war broke out or close by in Pentos so to meet up with Tywin before the battle of Green Fork but after the Battles of Golden Tooth and Riverrun.

I mean the fact that Tywin didn't fully invade the Riverlands until Robert was dead and Ned arrested. That contradicts the idea that it was purely about Tyrion, as does his apparent preparation for war and comments about Stannis and Jon Arryn

I mean the fact that Tywin didn't fully invade the Riverlands until Robert was dead and Ned arrested. That contradicts the idea that it was purely about Tyrion, as does his apparent preparation for war and comments about Stannis and Jon Arryn

Personally I don't think he fully invaded because he wanted Edmure to strike first in Westerland territory so he can claim that he was only acting in self defence. The whole point of Gregor riding without banners was to both provoke and to have plausible deniability. So he could still be on Roberts goodside.

I actually think his daughter killing Robert actually screwed things up for him. Had he know of a potential Civil War he would have been courting the likes of the Freys and other Riverland Houses from the start rather than burning bridges(so to speak).

Can you refresh my memory on the Arryn & Stannis quotes(just the general gist of it would be OK and which book).

Archived