Miracles of the Faith?

Lord of the Onions

Is the most popular and powerful religion in Westeros also the only one without any godly power or am I missing something?

Let's first look at the relative importance of each religion we encounter in Westeros:

- The Old Gods: highly popular in the north (wish represent a fraction of the whole population) but only there (except maybe a few houses in the Riverlands)

- R'hllor: very much in minority, though growing pretty fast in few areas like the Wall and Dragonstone

- The Drowned God: highly popular in the Iron Islands but only there

- The God of Death: very scarce: Syrio and probably few FM that roam the land

- The Faith: Almighty in the Reach, the Storm Lands, the Westernlands, represented everywhere from Iron Islands to the Wall, crowning kings, recruiting a large army, maybe in position to seize power.

Now the founding events or main miracles of those religions:

- The Old Gods: flooding of the arm of Dorm (wish reminds me a lot of Moses crossing of the Red Sea) and helping the Last Hero to end the LN.

- R'hllor: AA, Lightbringer, saving humanity from the LN, not bad

- The God of Death: The Doom and maybe starting the LN (but I won't go further on this tricky road, this is another matter imho)

- The Drowned God: not sure about this one, something about slaying a sea dragon, its bones being the hall of the kingsmoot.

- The Faith: ???

We also have some day-to-day magic, not as impressive as the miracles listed above, but it may very well convert unbelievers:

- The Old Gods: whispering near the Heart Trees, wargs (very closely associated with the CotF and the Old Gods) plus we know first hand from Bran that the magic behind the WW network really works, but I guess at this point it's not very relevant concerning how the common lad perceives this religion.

- R'hllor: resurrection, seeing things in the flames, glamour

- The God of Death: the trick with the faces

- The Drowned God: I can't think of any myself but there is this nice theory about Patch Face being a resurrected messenger of the Drowned God

- The Faith: this story with Baelor and the snakes that everyone knows to be false?

Even in our magic less world every religion goes with miracles, major or minor. So how comes that in a world with dragons, krakens, giant wolves, wargs, resurrection, shape-shifting assassins, nobody cares about the main religion being seemingly powerless? You might argue that The God of Death is the Stranger, therefor there is magic in the pantheon of the Faith. But what kind of shitty religion is this if the only god (or face of God) with powers is the one that will mess you up?

One last thought: it might be an intended irony from GRRM's part. If it's the case, the name of this religion is totally appropriate: it is not faith if you know it's real.

One thing to keep in mind is that we have no proof that any of the priests claiming their power comes from their god(s) are necessarily right about it - they may even believe it, and yet can still be wrong.

Magic exists

Priests wielding magic exists

Priests performing magic in the name of their gods exists

Non-believers performing magic without calling upon any particular gods seems to exists

Gods... that's open for debate (and I'm pretty sure that's on purpose and won't change).

Oh, and good point about the name of the Faith being very apt.

We have magicians: greenseers, shadowbinder some Red priests. But it is unclear if their personal magical powers are used to make people believing in Gods. Or if their powers are indeed granted by gods, thru prayers and invocations. I would believe there is a bit of both.

But whatever, besides a few healers with limited powers, the Faith has not great magicians. The Faith arose in a time when there was no need to demonstrate great powers. Only the conviction of its supporters was needed. But compared to others, I would think it is pretty useless.

It was actually believed that back in Andalos the Seven walked among the Andals on Earth. Hugor of the Hill's crown was created from stars that the Father pulled from the sky, his wife was a young woman that the Maid brought to him and was made fertile by the Mother and bore him 44 sons as was foretold by the Crone, the Warrior have each of his sons strength at arms, and the Smith wrought a suit of iron plate for each as well. They also supposedly promised him a great Kingdom in a foreign land. So their are old legends and tales from the early times of the Faith. But you are right in that it doesn't seem like the Faith's god doesn't provide many miracles to its followers these days. My personal opinion is simply that it's because unlike the Old Gods, Drowned God, and R'hllor the faith doesn't have a tradition of magic in it priesthood.

One thing to keep in mind is that we have no proof that any of the priests claiming their power comes from their god(s) are necessarily right about it - they may even believe it, and yet can still be wrong.

Magic exists

Priests wielding magic exists

Priests performing magic in the name of their gods exists

Non-believers performing magic without calling upon any particular gods seems to exists

Gods... that's open for debate (and I'm pretty sure that's on purpose and won't change).

Oh, and good point about the name of the Faith being very apt.

Indeed, magic or miracles could have nothing to do with gods as they are worshiped by the people in Westeros. But for this topic, what seems to matter is where magic or miracles are believed to come from. And thus far, we have three "red magicians", performing amazingly powerful magic (some would say miracles in the case of Thoros, as resurrection is the central piece around which Christianity is built) and giving full credit for it to their god. This make me wonder how can there still be so many followers of the Seven, and so few of the Red God in the Riverlands, with all those tails about a R'hllorian knight fighting for the weak and being resurrected by his god?

But the matter of the priests is also a really good point you got here, cause they're utterly important in the matter of conversion. The Old Gods don't have any, maybe the closest thing would have been CotF converting first men but that was a very long time ago. And Drowned Priests don't seem to give a shit about anyone outside of the Iron Islands.

There is one pretty good Seven intervention, for all that it is ambiguous.

When Catelyn was praying in the village sept outside Storm's End, she pattern-recognized the faces of various people in the statue's faces, and the matching of people to aspect was pretty solid. Then Lysa had a moment in The Stranger.

She shook it off.

It was actually believed that back in Andalos the Seven walked among the Andals on Earth. Hugor of the Hill's crown was created from stars that the Father pulled from the sky, his wife was a young woman that the Maid brought to him and was made fertile by the Mother and bore him 44 sons as was foretold by the Crone, the Warrior have each of his sons strength at arms, and the Smith wrought a suit of iron plate for each as well. They also supposedly promised him a great Kingdom in a foreign land. So their are old legends and tales from the early times of the Faith. But you are right in that it doesn't seem like the Faith's god doesn't provide many miracles to its followers these days. My personal opinion is simply that it's because unlike the Old Gods, Drowned God, and R'hllor the faith doesn't have a tradition of magic in it priesthood.

The drowned God?

Archived