Where's the Next Video Games Thread?... Oh here it is.

The Anti-Targ

Oh cool, haven only looked briefly at Witcher 3 as I am still stumbling my way to Wticher 2. I think it's mostly cos the controls are an abomination on the PC, plus it feels like I am a somewhat unwelcome guest in a man's manland of manly men and mucho male gaze. Interestingly, my SO has only watched over my shoulder and he completely agreed with my assessment that altho Witcher storywise may be different and gritty and complex and interesting, it is so so so very much a manly man's game with a healthy side dish of gender essentialism thrown in for good measure in case we didn't get the non subtle point hammered in already. The sword whackamole is still ok tho so I am persisting despite the fact that every time a female NPC comes into views I get a pair of boobs shoved in my face.

Altho I have to say, I normally really hate elves, but Iorveth is amazing. I think alongside movie!Thranduil he will be second elf in the category "elves I actually fancy". What a lovely cold evil bastard revolutionary he is. So far he just about makes up for all the shortcomings of the game. I am currently trudging around on Iorveth's path pining for the sigh of him, hahaha. So yes, characters. Vernon Roche and Iorveth are both brilliant and complex characters, but apart from that I am so far not getting the character build up vibe I get from say, Bioware's RPGs so I am not getting the ultra-love the Witcher gets compared to other games in the same genre.

On a whim I picked up The Secret World (Elite Dangerous is still going well, but it can't be the only game I play). I got the base game which I think is the first four 'issues' and didn't bother with the subscription because 1) it doesn't seem worth it and 2) I probably won't play long enough for that to be worthwhile. I did do my homework a bit before buying, and I noticed a lot of reviews said it seemed like a single player game stuck in an MMO, and I'm only about 6 hours in, but I think I agree with that. I appreciate how cinematic it is compared to a lot of MMOs and that it seems to be at least trying to break out of the MMO-mold.

I seem to recall a few people here playing it when it came out? Anyone still playing?

Archived