Where's the Next Video Games Thread?... Oh here it is.

The Anti-Targ

hmm... somehow I doubt that, but I'll ask. I haven't played it, it doesn't take long to beat? Thanks for the suggestion.

It won't be The Witcher 2 as that came out in 2011. It might be the original The Witcher as that came out in 2007.

Oh well, might just have to do the Steam thing. I have half an eye on Jade Empire too. What should I play first? Both games a pretty old from a Windows OS perspective, are there any tricks to running these games on Windows 7 or 8?

Shouldn't be an issue to run the game, you might have to edit an .ini file or something to get proper HD widescreen resolutions.

It won't be The Witcher 2 as that came out in 2011. It might be the original The Witcher as that came out in 2007.

IIRC it takes 40-50 hourse to beat the first Witcher, plus most people really don't seem to like the combat in that, though that's obviously subjective, and combat definitely doesn't have much in common with the Jedi Knight series (other than the use of swords).

I'm looking for a game my brother mentioned. He doesn't remember the title. He played it in 2008, though it could have been released before that, but not too old, because my brother cares about graphics.

Medieval fantasy RPG or adventure, with a simple, intuitive combat system that he claims is the best he's ever seen (this started from him complaining about the combat in Mount & Blade, to which I can only shake my head).

He thinks it starts with a D, it has dragons, (it's not Dragon Age) and it doesn't take too long to beat. Fairly linear game. Also, the combat reminded him of the Jedi Knight games.

My guesses are that its either Drakensang: The Dark Eye or Divinity II: Ego Draconis/Dragon Knight Saga

ETA: It could also be Drakengard I suppose; but only if your brother enjoys starring into the mouth of madness and seeing that which is not meant to be seen.

Finished Far Cry 4 last night. Solid game the whole way through. End was a bit disappointing though. Continuing the trend from FC3 I suppose.

Shoot the big bad in the head, credits roll. That's that. Should see what happens if you elect not to pull the trigger. I guess the point is that by the end of the game whoever you side with you basically become just as bad as the dictator you're trying to oust. Similar to FC3 as well I suppose with Brody going from a scared kid trying to save his friends to a blood crazed maniac by the end of the game.

In a mood for more shooty-bang. Luckily Wolfenstein: Old Blood just came out. New Order was fucking awesome.

Finished Far Cry 4 last night. Solid game the whole way through. End was a bit disappointing though. Continuing the trend from FC3 I suppose.

Shoot the big bad in the head, credits roll. That's that. Should see what happens if you elect not to pull the trigger.

I didn't shoot him in the head, I can tell you what happens if you want to know.

I didn't shoot him in the head, I can tell you what happens if you want to know.

Just found a video that shows all the possible endings :)

ETA:

Yeah, sparing him just lets him go ahead and explain the point that you've become just as bad as he is. Apparently there's more cut scenes if you go find Amita/Sabal after showing how awful both of them are. If anything I liked killing him and not knowing about those scenes more since it makes you realize those things on their own. Best ending is still the secret one at the beginning :P

Found it. It's Might & Magic: Dark Messiah, which is 1st person not 3rd, and I still have to shake my head on how that is the best combat system he's seen. I guess my brother has lost his patience for learning new game mechanics. And I am sad to say that I am losing that, too. :(

For example, I quit playing Shadow of Mordor after a few hours, because I could not get used to the mechanics, and I found the map confusing.

Probably the most solid Fallout 4 rumour yet: someone from Guillermo del Toro's production company listed Fallout 4 'cinematic' trailer as a completed project here. Destructoid then was contacted by the studio demanding the story be pulled as it broke a NDA, I guess Destructoid decided it doesn't matter that the story broke someone else's NDA as long it wasn't their's. So they just updated the story with the request as pretty solid evidence that it's true. Hype.

The Witcher 3's reviews have hit and they are across-the-board superlative:

Gamespot: 10/10

Game Informer: 9.7/10

IGN: 9.3/10

Kotaku (highly favourable)

Even Conan O'Brien liked it

Also, whilst some are praising the game's story, world, combat and characterisation, the fact that the game features a sex scene set on the back of a giant stuffed unicorn seems to be its primary selling point.

If that's not your bag, roguelike stealth XCOMagic Inivisble, Inc. also came out recently and is apparently excellent.

Found it. It's Might & Magic: Dark Messiah, which is 1st person not 3rd, and I still have to shake my head on how that is the best combat system he's seen. I guess my brother has lost his patience for learning new game mechanics. And I am sad to say that I am losing that, too. :(

For example, I quit playing Shadow of Mordor after a few hours, because I could not get used to the mechanics, and I found the map confusing.

Dark Messiah is a pretty good game, although a lot older (2005, it was the third game to use the Source Engine after Half-Life 2 and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines). It's combat is also pretty much complete bollocks. What is great is its amazing "kick" mechanic, which is the best combat weapon in a game ever. You can kick enemies off bridges and into curiously commonplace vertical spike traps and one-shot them when using a sword would take ten minutes to kill them. Also, some brilliant level design designed to combat the Source Engine's tendency to throw in a loading screen every ten seconds.

I decided to pick up Destiny again last night. Played a low level hunter through some of the last areas on Earth and first on the moon. The end level fights were much easier than I remember. Did the lower levels get nerfed with some of the expansion releases? Are hunters that much better than Titans at low levels? Or am I just less of a noob?

Also... Yesterday marked the 10 year anniversary of the "Leeroy Jenkins Video" being uploaded to YouTube.. :stunned:

I played on Laughing Skull and PvP'd with a lot of Pals 4 Life guys. (And even tagged along on a Naxx raid once thanks to a former guildee who later app'd to P4L.). Seeing that video 1) Makes me feel old and 2) Brings back a lot of memories. I had forgotten who all was in that original video.

Gamespot: 10/10

Game Informer: 9.7/10

IGN: 9.3/10

Kotaku (highly favourable)

Even Conan O'Brien liked it

I need to play the first two games, before I delve into this one, although I may skip over the first one. That combat really is terrible. But even though Conan seemed to like it, some of the stuff he showcased made me question the quality of this game, unicorn scene included.

Its not an official review, but I was listening to the Giant Bomb podcast and Jeff Gerstmann did not sound particularly impressed by it. Granted, it seems he often isn't particularly impressed by AAA games these days, but he said that going into it he was really hoping that this would be the Witcher game for him and that after playing a while it doesn't seem to be.

The issues I recall him citing were a quote along the lines of "the controls are janky as hell," the graphics on the PS4 being surprisingly unimpressive (character movement looking weird and frame rate issues), and serious game stability issues.

I am looking forward to Invisible Inc though, and Dex, but I may wait until the next big Steam sale to pick them up.

Its not an official review, but I was listening to the Giant Bomb podcast and Jeff Gerstmann did not sound particularly impressed by it. Granted, it seems he often isn't particularly impressed by AAA games these days, but he said that going into it he was really hoping that this would be the Witcher game for him and that after playing a while it doesn't seem to be.

The issues I recall him citing were a quote along the lines of "the controls are janky as hell," the graphics on the PS4 being surprisingly unimpressive (character movement looking weird and frame rate issues), and serious game stability issues.

I am looking forward to Invisible Inc though, and Dex, but I may wait until the next big Steam sale to pick them up.

There could be stability issues on PC too...they haven't sent out PC review codes which is worrying and a while ago they said they were targeting 30 FPS on recommended specs (recommended specs are really high, something like 3.5GHz i7 and a r9 290). That kinda just got swept under the rug because of all the Witcher fanboys...

Also... Yesterday marked the 10 year anniversary of the "Leeroy Jenkins Video" being uploaded to YouTube.. :stunned:

I played on Laughing Skull and PvP'd with a lot of Pals 4 Life guys. (And even tagged along on a Naxx raid once thanks to a former guildee who later app'd to P4L.). Seeing that video 1) Makes me feel old and 2) Brings back a lot of memories. I had forgotten who all was in that original video.

Dude, you partied with Pals 4 Life? That makes you sorta famous. :lol:

The Leeroy video was what got me interested in playing WoW. I imagine I wasn't the only one.

still racist

still racist

Still funny.

That was the least racist thing I ever saw P4L do sadly. Going to their forums and reading over some of their guild applications was truly an exercise in witnessing the worst of humanity. Sadly, all too often that was the sort of thing you got with WoW (and I think the gaming community at large). I can't tell you the number of guildies that we had to kick/decided to leave because we didn't allow the use of the N word in our guild chat.

Archived