Do we judge the show too much by our readers imagination?

Ser Brandon Badwater

I agree, they probably will suspect rebellious Night's Watch members. But as long as they don't have definite proof, like witnesses or one of the murderers confessing (unlikely), Thorne can't be convicted. So his plan was quite sound.

I don't think you understand.

It's not fellow members of the NW Thorne has to worry about. It's the thousands of wildlings that followed Jon through the Wall. His "sound" plan should logically result in chaos and the complete destruction of the NW.

As a book reader i loved the first few seasons, mainly because a lot of scenes were nailed from how my mind`s eye saw the scene while reading it. As the series has progressed though, with the merging of characters and deviation from the books i feel robbed of some scenes i would have loved to see on the show.

My question is this.. Do we book readers all watch the show wanting to see our imaginings brought to life on the small screen, and judge it unfairly because our own imagination isn`t constrained by a budget or timescale

No. Shit television is shit television. Many unsullied found this season to be a mess as well.

I like to think that I can be objective when it comes to changes. It bothered me, as a book fan, when they swapped out the Jeyne story for the Talisa story. I thought that it was a bit jarring in context of the world and changed Robb's character quite a bit, but I didn't think it made GoT awful storytelling. It bothers me, as a book fan, when they cut really memorable pieces of dialogue that I was looking forward to, but I don't think that makes the show poorly written. When something looks nothing like I imagined it, it does sometimes confuse or upset me, but for the most part, I think the show is breathtakingly beautiful.

I think it's not that we judge the show too harshly because it doesn't match our imagination, but because often it doesn't match our logic. And yeah, a lot of that comes from being a book reader. I was ranting about Sansa in Winterfell and how the whole plot made no sense. My Unsullied friend was like, "Sure it does!" I then pointed out the inconsistencies with Roose's character, the timing, Littlefinger's lack of knowledge, etc. and she had no answer to it. I think a lot of the time, the reason book readers notice these things is because we have a logical point of comparison, not only a visceral one. Also, I think there's a tipping point, where you stop being willing to excuse plotholes and characters being out of character, and from then, the nitpicking snowballs.

D&D's writing in a nutshell!

Remember Meryn Fucking Trant? Evil Joffrey's lapdog? The mean bully who abuses little girls and killed fan favorite Syrio Forel? The evil coward who the Hound rightfully made fun of?

Oh most of you do remember, but screw that we are going to waste precious screen time by making this already terrible guy who deserves to die painfully an over the top mustache-twirling villain who is a pedophile and masochist. We'll just waste the time that could've been spent on the Battle of Winterfell or the tensions that resulted in the stabbing of Jon Snow on showing this guy who we turned into a one-dimensional prick beat and molest young innocent girls for fun.

My guess is George thought that he was done with the story after Storm. But he was sitting on a gold mine so after a long tedious five years out came Feast and after another five years the mess that is Dance. Heck, he himself wrote that he hated writing it ("three bitches and a bastard" were his words if I remember correctly) so no wonder the result was so woefully inadequate.

To come back to the topic - my reader's imagination was pleased with all the trimming D&D went through in season 5 to present something to us that was actually watchable and enjoyable.

They should have been even more thorough, Dorne was horrible in the books and shouldn't have made it on screen.

Actually not. George wanted to do a trilogy, the first would be the Game of Thrones, but he saw that the events of the War of the Five Kings were much more dense, so he made two books about it. AFFC and Dance of the Dragons would be the seconf book of original trilogy.

The problems with the two books is that they are not so much objective. They grew bigger with bloated chapters, but the extra content not adding so much to the story.

Well, we can get a little piss off with some changes in the adaptation, it is normal. But the problem is not with changes, but when the changes are bad and it was the main problem with the Season 5, the changes were awful. Some arcs like Dorne and Winterfell had a unbelievable bad writing. The number of errors and inconsistencies were so high that was difficult not to note (when a movie or series have some little errors is not a huge problem). The drop in quality in the last season was evident.

I look at the other way round, the books ruined my appreciation of the show :D Reading the books midway through watching the show gave me something to compare the show to and now i can see the good and bad points in both but like each a little less than I would if I experienced either without experiencing the other.

Regardless of what you think, people aren't morons and can read. There's a lot of fast readers and it doesn't take much effort to comprehend these books. I read the first 2 books before the season even started and after finishing ADwD my opinion of George and that particular book is pretty low.

Everyone has an opinion, I think that the show has adversely affected how people think of the book. There will be those that prefer the book to the show and vice versa. I much prefer the books to the show, but will not stop watching unless Jon is truly dead.

I look at the other way round, the books ruined my appreciation of the show :D Reading the books midway through watching the show gave me something to compare the show to and now i can see the good and bad points in both but like each a little less than I would if I experienced either without experiencing the other.

I wondered if that would happen, I read the first book back in 2005, and waited with bated breath for each new book in the series to come out. So, I was very concerned that the show would be a total mess like True Blood. I'm not really happy with the show, never have been. The only actors they have cast correctly is Sean Bean as Ned, the guy that plays Rob, and possibly Varys. Don't get me wrong I think Kit makes a great Jon Snow now but it took some time to get used to him.

Actually not. George wanted to do a trilogy, the first would be the Game of Thrones, but he saw that the events of the War of the Five Kings were much more dense, so he made two books about it. AFFC and Dance of the Dragons would be the seconf book of original trilogy.

The problems with the two books is that they are not so much objective. They grew bigger with bloated chapters, but the extra content not adding so much to the story.

We don't know that the extra content isn't adding much to the story. We have no idea how TWoW is going to play out yet

D&D's writing in a nutshell!

Remember Meryn Fucking Trant? Evil Joffrey's lapdog? The mean bully who abuses little girls and killed fan favorite Syrio Forel? The evil coward who the Hound rightfully made fun of?

Oh most of you do remember, but screw that we are going to waste precious screen time by making this already terrible guy who deserves to die painfully an over the top mustache-twirling villain who is a pedophile and masochist. We'll just waste the time that could've been spent on the Battle of Winterfell or the tensions that resulted in the stabbing of Jon Snow on showing this guy who we turned into a one-dimensional prick beat and molest young innocent girls for fun.

The whole protrayal of Arya in the House of Black and White is inaccurate, and Sam and Gilly going to the Citadel without Maester Aemon. Wasted time and diverting too far from the original story then trying to tie it all back together.

Taking your time over something doesn't mean you don't care anymore. Anyone who has ever met George will tell you how much he cares about his fans and his books.

That is harsh, I appreciate that he takes his time with the books. He has also stated that he has other thing he is developing. It seems that he is writing as fast as he can, but I wonder what it would be like to have all of these fantasy characters in your head.

I wondered if that would happen, I read the first book back in 2005, and waited with bated breath for each new book in the series to come out. So, I was very concerned that the show would be a total mess like True Blood. I'm not really happy with the show, never have been. The only actors they have cast correctly is Sean Bean as Ned, the guy that plays Rob, and possibly Varys. Don't get me wrong I think Kit makes a great Jon Snow now but it took some time to get used to him.

It's better than True Blood, if you watch it blind of book knowledge - trust me. its far better. True Blood feels corny, with forced and gratuitous nudity - GoTs, up until Season 5, after I read the books, felt like it had a point.

I think it just depends which you experience first.

If you experience the books first, of course your imagination is going to envisage the world and characters in a personal way that the show can never replicate.

If you experience the show first, you start with a bias towards D&Ds interpretation. notice differences and try and determine what you think is better. I think some things are better in show and some are better in book.

Yeah, I would have never known the books existed without the show. The two are inexorably intertwined for me...

Well that is a big point, right there. Book purists can praise the books and how they are better than the show as much as they want - but the books would not have become half as popular without the show. ASoIaF was not Harry Potter - it was not a book series that had already become massively popular and had every studio was itching to produce it for screen because of the built in fan base, ASoIaF was much less widely known, with a rabid and heavily invested fanbase, to be sure but not a large enough fanbase to put it on the same level as GoTS the show or HP the books. GoTS brought ASoIaF to the masses, so how successful the book series is can never be accurately gauged now.

Archived