Do we judge the show too much by our readers imagination?

Ser Brandon Badwater

So, you supposedly read them now? When did you get the time? Those are five big books! I doubt that you managed to read them all in three months. If you did, you must have just skimmed through and skipped a lot of chapters or just not paid any attention, looking to get to the next plot twist.

You're the Unsullied who kept pestering people just before the season started with questions on what happens in the books so you'd know what happens in the show. Is that what you're basing your judgment on, what people on the forum told you? That would sure explain a lot.

Regardless of what you think, people aren't morons and can read. There's a lot of fast readers and it doesn't take much effort to comprehend these books. I read the first 2 books before the season even started and after finishing ADwD my opinion of George and that particular book is pretty low.

The problem is that somebody chained up the brilliant guys Dan and David that brought us the first 2,5 seasons and then brainwashed them or replaced them completely by those jokes that are running the show now.

They had it. They really did their best with the first books and build the world in a different style, but by the same blueprints. No they just changed the book canon and their own. Nothing fits anymore. They build a Lego castle and now play with it with Playmobile space warriors and construction workers. It just doesn't fit together in its own canon. THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

I went into this season playing and actually warming up to the thought of a different path than the books. But that wasn't a different path, it was a different show.

I have to be honest here. If I had not read the books I can relatively accurately say I would have loved this season. IMO it was as little as 5% off-books. And I LOVED AFFC and ADWD :box:

It is only as a hardcore fan that I watched S5 and said, "Wow. Their version of the sand snakes don't really do it for me (mentally, not physically lawl)" or "Hmm the body on the table is thrashing just like every cliché Frankenstein ripoff in history"...

Regardless of what you think, people aren't morons and can read. There's a lot of fast readers and it doesn't take much effort to comprehend these books. I read the first 2 books before the season even started and after finishing ADwD my opinion of George and that particular book is pretty low.

You've just proven it does.

I have to be honest here. If I had not read the books I can relatively accurately say I would have loved this season. IMO it was as little as 5% off-books. And I LOVED AFFC and ADWD :box:

It is only as a hardcore fan that I watched S5 and said, "Wow. Their version of the sand snakes don't really do it for me (mentally, not physically lawl)" or "Hmm the body on the table is thrashing just like every cliché Frankenstein ripoff in history"...

That's a joke, right?

You've just proven it does.

Butt hurt that there are people who just don't...like these books? There's an entire forum dedicated to people who think they're overrated for fucks sake. And you said you dropped the show, so why are you in every HBO GoT thread? Ah...you're one of those...

Okay quote is not werking. No, no joke. They may have spliced all kinds of stuff like Jorah getting the greyscale and Sansa marrying Ramsay, but when I look back at this season, truly off-books stuff is seldom. Hardhome, Shireen, Barristan, Hizdahr, that's about it. The number one mega hype was the Sand Snakes. Total letdown. The second was "D+D go into a brave new off-books world" and IMO they totally didn't. Minor, minor stuff IMO except for the aforementioned deaths/battles...

Yes some people go above and beyond and keep continue watching every week despite giving an episode a 1 every week. Pretty annoying, I mean I am reading the books the books are better but I learned to separate the two.

Even funnier are the people who say they've dropped the show, but are still giving their opinions on the episodes they supposedly aren't even watching anymore :facepalm:

Yes some people go above and beyond and keep continue watching every week despite giving an episode a 1 every week. Pretty annoying, I mean I am reading the books the books are better but I learned to separate the two.

I can separate the 2 and enjoy them both. But after reading the books first and seeing some of what i`d already seen in my minds eye, maybe D+D spoiled book readers the first few seasons because i barely recognise season 5. And that`s a pity because there was some material which would have looked great and been enthralling viewing. And keeping ellario at the expense of Arianne was dumb too

Even funnier are the people who say they've dropped the show, but are still giving their opinions on the episodes they supposedly aren't even watching anymore :facepalm:

Yeah, I pity those too :D. Imo the first three books were simple amazing. Feast and Dance though... They were just words. Meandering, repeating, numbing words. Like a long journey without destination or purpose. Hey, exactly like Brienne in Feast and Tyrion in Dance now that I think of it!

i dont mind the changes to the show, and was actually looking to enjoy this season and the changes

but this season doesn't have the same feel as the others, and i think the writing was cheesy and lackluster

lots of plots went no where and then just wrapped themselves up outta no where, while some plots just disappeared

Yeah, I pity those too :D. Imo the first three books were simple amazing. Feast and Dance though... They were just words. Meandering, repeating, numbing words. Like a long journey without destination or purpose. Hey, exactly like Brienne in Feast and Tyrion in Dance now that I think of it!

You should pity those poor souls who have put themselves through the ordeal of watching every one of those wretched episodes because they had to write reviews and criticism of them. I spared myself that after 5.4. and reading recaps and seeing Youtube clips, particularly that of Dorne provides enough hilarity in itself. Mocking the show's stupidity is the only enjoyment possible to derive from it these days. But it is quite enjoyable.

Haha yeah I know what you mean. Reading those last 2 books became a chore. Wtf was George thinking? I'm really worried about TWoW.

My guess is George thought that he was done with the story after Storm. But he was sitting on a gold mine so after a long tedious five years out came Feast and after another five years the mess that is Dance. Heck, he himself wrote that he hated writing it ("three bitches and a bastard" were his words if I remember correctly) so no wonder the result was so woefully inadequate.

To come back to the topic - my reader's imagination was pleased with all the trimming D&D went through in season 5 to present something to us that was actually watchable and enjoyable.

They should have been even more thorough, Dorne was horrible in the books and shouldn't have made it on screen.

You should pity those poor souls who have put themselves through the ordeal of watching every one of those wretched episodes because they had to write reviews and criticism of them. I spared myself that after 5.4. and reading recaps and seeing Youtube clips, particularly that of Dorne provides enough hilarity in itself. Mocking the show's stupidity is the only enjoyment possible to derive from it these days. But it is quite enjoyable.

Strange then that millions love the show, that it is super sucessful and consistently praised by audience and respected critics alike. How does it feel to belong to a marginalised minority? Vexing, I guess..

Archived