Tyrion, before the events of GoT

Dr Qyburn M.D

He was a man of leisure, wasting his time in libraries and learning about history, dragonlore, science and mathematics while other young noblemen learned all those valuable qualifications like killing each other. And Tyrion had a hidden talent for engineering. Really, a honorable nobleman does not try to be useful, he has servants .......

The emphasis on Tyrion's sex activities is grossly exaggerated in these forums but that is in part due to the show since the first episode introduced Tyrion as Ros' client, certainly in the very positive intention to show that this despised mishappen imp loves life and sex like everyone else.
But in a way they did a disservice to the character Tyrion since in the books Martin introduces Tyrion when he visits the library of Winterfell in search of interesting books. Something many fans conveniently choose to forget when reading Tyrion in an already biased manner.
And before Shae Tyrion had not had sex for over a year, according to the books. Yet I think it is not totally bad that the show made a point in presenting Tyrion as lover, away from handicapped stereotypes.

So maybe we can simply assume that this spoiled nobility brat, just as spoiled as any other young noble, followed his own personal fancies who simply were a bit less stupid than jousting and hunting for fun.

He was a man of leisure, wasting his time in libraries and learning about history, dragonlore, science and mathematics while other young noblemen learned all those valuable qualifications like killing each other. And Tyrion had a hidden talent for engineering. Really, a honorable nobleman does not try to be useful, he has servants .......

The emphasis on Tyrion's sex activities is grossly exaggerated in these forums but that is in part due to the show since the first episode introduced Tyrion as Ros' client, certainly in the very positive intention to show that this despised mishappen imp loves life and sex like everyone else.
But in a way they did a disservice to the character Tyrion since in the books Martin introduces Tyrion when he visits the library of Winterfell in search of interesting books. Something many fans conveniently choose to forget when reading Tyrion in an already biased manner.
And before Shae Tyrion had not had sex for over a year, according to the books. Yet I think it is not totally bad that the show made a point in presenting Tyrion as lover, away from handicapped stereotypes.

So maybe we can simply assume that this spoiled nobility brat, just as spoiled as any other young noble, followed his own personal fancies who simply were a bit less stupid than jousting and hunting for fun.

Very very true. I've read GOT obviously and compared it to the first season of which it was based on and the Tyrion differences especially with Tyrion going into brothels like what happened in the first GOT episode was drastic and a far depart from the book. A minor deflect yes but nonetheless. Did he also not slept in the library and woke up there than in the pig steins/barn? I have quite forgotten that part but another difference there.

As per usual, I agree with you.

Thank you for this post. :thumbsup:

I think it's pretty likely that he was in King's Landing, as he travelled to Winterfell with the rest of Robert's party. It's possible he met them part way coming from Casterly Rock - in fact, that might not have been overly difficult, considering they were moving at a snail's pace.

At the age of 13 Tyrion was married.  It ended badly, courtesy of Tywin being something I can't say on a public forum.

At the age of 16 he was put in charge of the sewers of Casterly Rock, for which he will later be thankful as this gave him the experience to lead Dany's forces in to take the Rock through said sewers, as they did for the taking of Meereen.

Other than that he seems to have basically screwed around, drank a lot, and read stuff.  Also at some point he designed a special saddle for himself.

Archived