Show your Collections!

Stego

These are photos of my main book shelves and some favorites. I have 3 more book cases in other rooms but this gives a good idea why my wife thinks I am obsessed...

http://s964.photobuc...trunnr/Library/

If your wife keeps giving you shit, I'd be happy to marry you.

ETA: Holy fucking moley. Nice collection, mate. You have the same sickness as me. :D

Had a bit of time tonight to take close-up photos from a third, smaller bookshelf. 88 books here. Some might be unfamiliar to most, but I'd recommend most every one to people here.

Oh, and see if you can spot a Martin-related book here?

What an absolutely lovely edition of Lanark! Is that a collected edition of all 4? Asterios Polyp had me ready to take up smoking again, I was so emo.

J.J. Norwich is my absolute favorite historian writer at the moment, edging even Goldsworthy. How did you find the History of Byzantium? I thought it a bit slower than his exemplary but cursory glance at the entire history of the Mediterranean and surrounds, but still fascinating enough to kill in two sittings.

You guys are all impressively organised compared to me, my books are mostly stored in stacks on my floor. I need to buy some shelves. :unsure:

Symmetrical book stacking. Just like the Philadelphia mass turbulence of 1947?

On topic. I am so jealous of all the lovely libraries. Having my own library is a wonderfully geeky dream of mine.

Yes, it's the 1985 omnibus edition. While I was moved by Asterios Polyp, do agree that it was depressing, in part because some of the story reminded me of the worst parts of my professional life. As for the Norwich, I can't compare it to his other works since I've yet to read them, but I found it to be one of the best popular histories of that civilization that I've come across. Might have to read his other works later.

I wonder how many reading this thread are familiar with Saki. Dude wrote some outstanding stories in his time. Thinking about buying some Lafcadio Hearn to place between it and the Ellison anthology.

Same here. Taught a story or two of his years ago. Nice style, although likely not for quite a few. Favorite story I ever taught to students was Dino Buzzati's "The Columber." That was a great, sad tale that could be interpreted so many ways and my students did so.

J.J. Norwich is my absolute favorite historian writer at the moment, edging even Goldsworthy. How did you find the History of Byzantium? I thought it a bit slower than his exemplary but cursory glance at the entire history of the Mediterranean and surrounds, but still fascinating enough to kill in two sittings.

Norwich is a wonderful writer. His parents were fascinating people: Duff Cooper was the British ambassador to Paris after the liberation in 1944, and his mother Lady Diana Cooper was the utter society belle of her day and a muse to several writers, including Evelyn Waugh. It's worth spending some time finding out more about them.

I wonder how many reading this thread are familiar with Saki. Dude wrote some outstanding stories in his time. Thinking about buying some Lafcadio Hearn to place between it and the Ellison anthology.

Saki is great fun. His short stories remind me a little of Roald Dahl's, without being quite so nasty.

These are photos of my main book shelves and some favorites. I have 3 more book cases in other rooms but this gives a good idea why my wife thinks I am obsessed...

http://s964.photobuc...trunnr/Library/

Very nice. Are some of your books from the SFBC? The height difference has me wondering.

Very nice. Are some of your books from the SFBC? The height difference has me wondering.

Yes there are quite a few SFBC as I joined them many many years ago. Now, though I am only buying books from them that I cannot find in hard cover or are omnibus editions.

If your wife keeps giving you shit, I'd be happy to marry you.

ETA: Holy fucking moley. Nice collection, mate. You have the same sickness as me. :D

She just likes to give me a hard time but I am running out of room and any more infringement on the other living spaces, who knows.

Thanks for sharing the sickness, at least I know I am not alone

Archived