Aemon's words to Sam at Braavos

Northman256

It has nothing to do with the cold; it has to do with the spells which support and preserve the Wall. Even Aemon does not voice the whole truth -- but he hints at it. Simply put: George does not like to explain how magic really works in his world. He resists that look behind the curtain in most cases.

but in particular, the spells interact with Aemon's Targaryen blood, granting to him, in particular, an extended life. When Aemon leaves the Wall, he moves beyond the range of those spells of preservation and his advanced age rapidly catches up with him and he dies.

He does not reach the age of 102 because he is a Targaryen. He reaches the age of 102 because he is a Targaryen living in close proximity with the greatest spell of preservation in the entire world. Those preservation spell have pernicious effects which he is particularly sensitive to. His extended life is one of those "bonus" effects.

I agree. This is how I took it as well.

I do not think that Aemon is consciously aware of the Wall's preservation spells interacting with his Targaryen blood (though he might have some suspicion of it). But I think this is what Martin is trying to hint at. That the spells in the Wall are what prolong Aemon's life.

A perfect example of people reading too much into a line. The simplest answer is almost always true. Aemon most likely meant that the cold preserved him, too, and that was the way I took it.

Not perfect at all, sez I. Aemon is an old man, a human, not a frozen piece of beef that just lasted longer because it was kept refrigerated. In fact, as a rule, older folks tend to do better in warmer climates. Circulation problems, rheumatism, arthritis, all the plagues of old age are aggravated by the cold, eased by warmth.

george likes to forshadow events coming up and usally stuff like this. I belive it has more than one reason for it. Why would it matter for him to tell sam this if he is only talking about himself. Does he want sam to build a old folks home on the wall to keep people alive. I dont think so. When you reread the books stuff keeps poping out. Over ten places the Red weding is hinted at. Bron marrying lolly. Read the thread about forshadowing in the book. george had a Targ on the wall that lived to a 102. Why? He has been in every book, but has yet to have a major role on anything. I dont think geoge had him there just to show that the is magic that makes people live longer there. Has to be more to this.

It has nothing to do with the cold; it has to do with the spells which support and preserve the Wall. Even Aemon does not voice the whole truth -- but he hints at it. Simply put: George does not like to explain how magic really works in his world. He resists that look behind the curtain in most cases.

Melisandre also hints at it in the Jon chapter that has been on George's website forever. She talks about the great power woven into the ice at the Wall. "We stand on one of the great hinges of the world".

Samwell also notes the remarkable preservation effect of the Wall upon the books that are kept in the library dug into its base. This may or may not be an actual temperature effect.

It all comes down to this: The Wall is not a natural structure and it is physically impossible to build or stand at the height that it does. The Wall is built on top of (and interwoven with) great spells of protection and preservation. These spells have an unintended consequence in how they preserve some common things (the books at the Wall, for example), but in particular, the spells interact with Aemon's Targaryen blood, granting to him, in particular, an extended life. When Aemon leaves the Wall, he moves beyond the range of those spells of preservation and his advanced age rapidly catches up with him and he dies.

He does not reach the age of 102 because he is a Targaryen. He reaches the age of 102 because he is a Targaryen living in close proximity with the greatest spell of preservation in the entire world. Those preservation spell have pernicious effects which he is particularly sensitive to. His extended life is one of those "bonus" effects.

Brilliant post, thank you

All his brothers were killed because of their dragon dreams? We know that Aerion and Aegon were killed trying to create dragons, but is this a clue that there's more to Daeron's death than catching a pox of a whore?

I think it assumes to much to say that hat it is the spells woven into the Wall, rather than the immense cold of the northern region itself, that preserved Aemon. That is what Aemon says, that the cold preserved him.

Now, I agree that it could be more, it could be because there is magic in the Wall and that this somehow connects to Aemon, but really, that is speculation isn't it? We have no idea if that is what is meant.

I think it assumes to much to say that hat it is the spells woven into the Wall, rather than the immense cold of the northern region itself, that preserved Aemon. That is what Aemon says, that the cold preserved him.

The thing about that is this:

...Aemon is an old man, a human, not a frozen piece of beef that just lasted longer because it was kept refrigerated. In fact, as a rule, older folks tend to do better in warmer climates. Circulation problems, rheumatism, arthritis, all the plagues of old age are aggravated by the cold, eased by warmth.

Now, I agree that it could be more, it could be because there is magic in the Wall and that this somehow connects to Aemon, but really, that is speculation isn't it? We have no idea if that is what is meant.

Yes, because speculating in this forum is so unusual...

Just a thought. I don't know if anyone else has said it before, but I should give it a try.

When Maester Aemon said "I should not have left the Wall. Lord Snow could not have known, but I should have seen it. Fire consumes, but cold preserves." What if he meant that the Others were trapped in the wall. What if the wall was the device meant to keep them imprisoned. So, if/when the wall falls.......

Just a theory, but I think it's kind of interesting.

I think that something Melisandre is going to do will cause the Wall to be consumed. It is going to collapse or otherwise disintegrate. I don't think it will be intentional, but I think it will happen. Aemon is realizing the mistake of allowing someone so unbalanced, so obsessed with fire near the Wall.

Ok then, going with Steel Wind's suggestion, why would the spells woven into the Wall, the magic which helped build it, have a particular effect on Aemon's Targaryen body? Why would he live so long because of the spells, whereas others in the Watch do not?

There doesn't seem to be a connection between Targaryens and magic, so why would the Wall's spells affect him in particular? There is a connection between Targaryens and dragons though. I guess this will further speculation that there is a dragon in the Wall. So we now have a possible dragon in the Wall, a possible dragon waiting to be awakened in Winterfell, and stone dragons waiting to be released from Dragonstone.

Colour me sceptical.

I guess you could argue that as a maester, he is least exposed to danger and most likely to live long, and that as such, any spells of preservation the Wall has, have more of a chance on Aemon to show how old you could get at the Wall, than any of Rangers or other Watchmen..

All his brothers were killed because of their dragon dreams? We know that Aerion and Aegon were killed trying to create dragons, but is this a clue that there's more to Daeron's death than catching a pox of a whore?

To sum, prophesy ran in the Targaryen family. Especially prophetic, symbolic dreams. Daeron, according to the Hedge Knight, took to drink because he couldn't handle his dreams. That drinking lifestyle is what killed him. Hence, the dragon dreams killed him. Recall, he was passed out at the inn where Dunk encountered Egg because he did not want to go to the tournament- his dreams prophesied the death of a dragon there. His uncle Baelor, as it happened.

In short, he couldn't handle having the full measure of the Targ prophetic gift.

You want a curveball? Read the series with a careful eye. The Madness of King Aerys has quite a bit of circumstantial evidence pointing towards his own affliction with prophetic dreams. Especially if he foresaw pieces of his own fate, his paranoia would make sense.

Melisandre also hints at it in the Jon chapter that has been on George's website forever. She talks about the great power woven into the ice at the Wall. "We stand on one of the great hinges of the world".

Samwell also notes the remarkable preservation effect of the Wall upon the books that are kept in the library dug into its base. This may or may not be an actual temperature effect.

It all comes down to this: The Wall is not a natural structure and it is physically impossible to build or stand at the height that it does. The Wall is built on top of (and interwoven with) great spells of protection and preservation. These spells have an unintended consequence in how they preserve some common things (the books at the Wall, for example), but in particular, the spells interact with Aemon's Targaryen blood, granting to him, in particular, an extended life. When Aemon leaves the Wall, he moves beyond the range of those spells of preservation and his advanced age rapidly catches up with him and he dies.

Brillant post, but I still think that ythe magic of the war is a much more ancient magic, a *ice* magic of the firsdt man ... I can t see a targaryen, coming like 7500 years after the wall s building have something to do with the wall s magic

Excellent post, Steel Wind. Excellent.

I agree. Great post Steel_Wind. Makes a lot of sense.

I do suspect, however, that he is referring to something other than himself that the wall has been preserving, and that something may be a dragon.

Archived