What to read after ASoIaF?

Magnetite

I can understand that experience with GotM. There is no introductory period like you get with most other secondary world fantasy, and there is an extremely large amount of shit going on.

Not going to argue about whether you can overdo the more fantastic elements of a secondary world fantasy, but I love it in Malazan. Then again, I enjoy books that are decidedly more tame in that regard, like alot of GGK or Robin Hobb.

I began reading ASoIaF after I watched the first episode on HBO. I finished the 4th book two weeks later. I read a LOT (not so much fantasy) and I can't describe the pure joy and exhilaration I got from this series. I was so, so sad when I read the last page.

Since then, I have been unhappy with every single book I pick up. Until I began to read Simon Scarrow's "Under the Eagle." It's about Rome, fighting the Germans and Britons, etc...much action and some intrigue.

Maybe this series will satisfy me until ADWD comes out.

Maurice Druon's The Accursed Kings if you're looking for a similar world of intrigue, backstabbing, poisoning, cheating and the like. It's a straight historical series with no fantasy elements. But it's all true. Fascinating characters - spans from the execution of the Templars to the beginning of the 100 years war.

Temeraire - it has dragons (and they're lovable) but apart from that, it's a fun and adventurous retelling of the Napoleonic wars.

I began reading ASoIaF after I watched the first episode on HBO. I finished the 4th book two weeks later. I read a LOT (not so much fantasy) and I can't describe the pure joy and exhilaration I got from this series. I was so, so sad when I read the last page.

Since then, I have been unhappy with every single book I pick up. Until I began to read Simon Scarrow's "Under the Eagle." It's about Rome, fighting the Germans and Britons, etc...much action and some intrigue.

Maybe this series will satisfy me until ADWD comes out.

I think someone may have already mentioned this but you should read the Sword of Truth series. To me, it's equally as good as ASoIaF, if not maybe just a little tiny bit better. And it will last ya for a while as there are 10 (or 11?) books. Also, that series is completed so no waiting for the next book.

I think someone may have already mentioned this but you should read the Sword of Truth series. To me, it's equally as good as ASoIaF, if not maybe just a little tiny bit better. And it will last ya for a while as there are 10 (or 11?) books. Also, that series is completed so no waiting for the next book.

whoa, you can't just skip right over Stanek and recommend goodkind. Show some respect. If you have a soul, you will go with Stanek.

Or, my personal favorite, Hank the Cowdog. Not only do they focus on the coolest Head of Ranch Security ever, there are more than 50 books. How can you freaking beat that?!

whoa, you can't just skip right over Stanek and recommend goodkind. Show some respect. If you have a soul, you will go with Stanek.

Or, my personal favorite, Hank the Cowdog. Not only do they focus on the coolest Head of Ranch Security ever, there are more than 50 books. How can you freaking beat that?!

I've never heard of Stanek. Sorry :( I can only recommend what I know. And I know that Goodkind is a wonderful writer. I'll check out this Stanek guy though, since I'm also trying to decide what to read while I wait for ADwD.... Thanks!

I'm honestly not sure. A combination of no sleep last night and the monster i just chugged have left everything kinda fuzzy.

Oh man, I just had this sudden picture of me waking pu in some alley somewhere, half naked with empty energy drink cans and a bunch of signed Goodkind books...

I know, pretty exciting huh. If only last night had been that fun. Instead I got to chase what I can only describe as a cracked out feral squirrel around my house for the better part of an hour and a half at 3:30 in the morning.

I've never heard of Stanek. Sorry :( I can only recommend what I know. And I know that Goodkind is a wonderful writer. I'll check out this Stanek guy though, since I'm also trying to decide what to read while I wait for ADwD.... Thanks!

Just to let you know, we have a running Goodkind thread at all times to discuss his many works.

I believe it is currently discussing The Omen Machine.

It may be the most posted thread in the lit forum.

Teana.

Goodkind is generally regarded as the worst of the worst in terms of authors.

We only recommend him when we are trying to be mean, funny, or confusing. I think the other board members thought you were going that route. The only thing worse that the yeard is the stanak.

It's interesting to actually meet a fan of his though. We should observe you closely and take notes. Like a science experiment.

Teana.

Goodkind is generally regarded as the worst of the worst in terms of authors.

We only recommend him when we are trying to be mean, funny, or confusing. I think the other board members thought you were going that route. The only thing worse that the yeard is the stanak.

It's interesting to actually meet a fan of his though. We should observe you closely and take notes. Like a science experiment.

Oh I dunno, Newcomb is probably worse. And Bilsborough or whatever his name is. The Wanderer's Tale sucked so bad I'm surprised the moon is still in orbit.

Oh I dunno, Newcomb is probably worse. And Bilsborough or whatever his name is. The Wanderer's Tale sucked so bad I'm surprised the moon is still in orbit.

Agreed. Throw Weis, Hickman, (don't start a flame war Grack, we know you bow at the altar of dragonlance, I'm just fucking around here.) and good ole Kevin J up there and you've got yourself a who's who's in shitville list.

Archived