Comparing Each House To A Country In Our World

Omegas

Hi all

I'd like to ask the question which house would you compare to a country in our world. Here's just some of my list:

House Stark - Great Britain or Scandinavia

House Baratheon- France

House Lannister - Spain

House Targarayen- Germany

House Martell- Byzantine Empire or Egypt

House Greyjoy- Italy

House Tyrell - Hapsburg empire Austria-Hungary

Dothraki -Mongol Horde

Hi all

I'd like to ask the question which house would you compare to a country in our world. Here's just some of my list:

House Stark - Great Britain or Scandinavia

House Baratheon- France

House Lannister - Spain

House Targarayen- Germany

House Martell- Byzantine Empire or Egypt

House Greyjoy- Italy

House Tyrell - Hapsburg empire Austria-Hungary

Dothraki -Mongol Horde

hmmm interesting.

one does not usually see a list that looks like that. in my experiences with these types of threads the parallels are:

Greyjoys=viking/scandanavian

Dorne= spain

Tyrells= France

it is known.

etc, and the others are up to somewhat debate...but i do not see the Lannisters being Spain (except for their love of gold...hehe) or Targs as Germany.

I am curious to why you said these countries. I honesty do not see it at all, but if you have some legitimate explanation, that would be...enlightening.

Ok when I was doing comparison's I was referring to their locations. And Yes I know the GreyJoys are vikings. But in the case of history I do recall the visgoths being in rome at some point so that's who was comparing them to. Targarayen's I was referring the the Holy Roman empire Germany. Lannister's I was referring to Spain during the inquisition. The Starks I said England because they feel like britain all the chacteristics are there.

Ok when I was doing comparison's I was referring to their locations. And Yes I know the GreyJoys are vikings. But in the case of history I do recall the visgoths being in rome at some point so that's who was comparing them to. Targarayen's I was referring the the Holy Roman empire Germany. Lannister's I was referring to Spain during the inquisition. The Starks I said England because they feel like britain all the chacteristics are there.

The Lannisters seem more British to me, with the Tyrells as French. Braavosi seem to be Italian, although it doesn't work with the location thing, It is far better to base it on culture and geography, in my opinion. Anyways, the North feels Scottish to me, the Targaryens politics seem either Byzantine or Holy Roman. Dorne seems more like Moorish/Castillian Spain. The Ironborn, very Norwegian. Mereen, Astapor and Yunkai seem very Mespotamian, and Valyrian very Roman. Qarth is odd, since the city acts as Byzantium/Instanbul, but the culture seems Persian, or Saracen. Well, thats my 2 cents,

The Lannisters seem more British to me, with the Tyrells as French. Braavosi seem to be Italian, although it doesn't work with the location thing, It is far better to base it on culture and geography, in my opinion. Anyways, the North feels Scottish to me, the Targaryens politics seem either Byzantine or Holy Roman. Dorne seems more like Moorish/Castillian Spain. The Ironborn, very Norwegian. Mereen, Astapor and Yunkai seem very Mespotamian, and Valyrian very Roman. Qarth is odd, since the city acts as Byzantium/Instanbul, but the culture seems Persian, or Saracen. Well, thats my 2 cents,

That is the sort response I was looking for. And I feel that everyone can make up their own mind on on which house suits which country and culture .

House Stark - Scotland

House Baratheon - Germany/HRE (Robert: Bavaria, Stannis: Prussia, Renly: Lotharingia)

House Lannister - England

House Targarayen - Ptolemaic Egypt / Roman Empire

House Martel - Moors/Spain with a hint or Sicily/Corsica

House Greyjoy - Vikings

House Tyrell - (Southern) France

Dothraki - Huns / Tatars / Cossacs

Tullys - hmmm... rivers and pretty much everyone rapes/plunders their way through them. Sounds like my Hungary.

Arryns - Switzerland (=mountains, neutrality)

House Stark - Scotland

House Baratheon - Germany/HRE (Robert: Bavaria, Stannis: Prussia, Renly: Lotharingia)

House Greyjoy - Vikings

Tullys - hmmm... rivers and pretty much everyone rapes/plunders their way through them. Sounds like my Hungary.

Quite liked your comparison. I totally agree with it.

I'd say:

- Stark: Scotland/Ireland

- Beyond the Wall: Scandinavia

- Greyjoy: too small to be all of Scandinavia; they're like Orkney/Kirkwall, close enough to mess with Britain

- Tully: Northern France/Scandinavia/Rhineland

- Lannister: England

- Tyrell: Southern France

- Baratheon: Wales

- Martell: Spain (actually a really good parallel. The Stony Dornishmen are the North/Castille; Sandy Dornishmen are Moorish Spain; Salty Dornishmen are the South and Catalonia)

The Free Cities in general are Italy/Greece (really kinda the whole eastern Mediterranean). More specifically:

- Braavos: Venice

- Pentos: Florence

- Myr: Genoa

- Lys: Athens

- Volantis: tough... maybe Naples?

- Tyrosh: Malta

- Valyria: Rome

- Qarth: Constantinople

- Norvos: Macedon?

- Qohor: Beograd or some other inland, frontier Byzantine city

Yi Ti sounds like China to me. No idea what Asshai would be... maybe India? Sothyros, of course, is Africa.

- Dothraki: Mongol horde

- Summer Islands: North Africa maybe? Since they have a fair amount of contact with Europe.

- Slaver's Bay: The names always made me think of Georgia and the Cossacks. They could be like the eastern Black Sea/Turkish homelands. The Turks definitely liked their slaves :)

As I already said in one another thread I think that the whole Westeros is Britain with a lot of other cultural influences (after all this is fantasy).

The Targaryens = Normans / Plantagenets

The Vale - Switzerland

Dorne - Medieval Spain ( a lot of culture together) along with Mediterranean culture ( roman - greek)

Iron islands - Vikings / Scandinavia

The Reach - France

Stormlands - the remind me of Scotland

The West - England

THE FREE CITIES - famous maritime republics & city states

Braavos and Braavosian coastland = Venice and its former lands

Volantis = the manner of the rule (three councils held by the nobility; marriages were forbidden between members of three different social classes,etc.) reminds me of Dubrovnik

Pentos= it reminds me of Amalfi smile.png

Valyria = Ancient Rome

The Dragon Roads of Valyria = the roads that the Roman built

Sothoyros = Africa

Qarth and the Jade Sea = Asia, more specifically China or India

I have to say

Stark: Scotland

Lannister: England

Tyrell: France

Martell: Middle East

Arryn: Switzerland

Tully: Hungary

Greyjoy: Norway/Finland (Viking connection)

Baratheons: Germany (unyielding and warlike)

I'm surprised no one has seen the Targs as the Greeks or maybe even the Minoans (Crete). Ahead of their time in science (screwing around with dragons anyone?) The area on the maps that I've seen even looks a little bit like Greece. But even creepier the Minoans were most likely wiped out by some grand cataclysmic disaster.

And the stupid fan girl in me has also noticed that the areas in that region commonly have the "ae" that is so common in Targ names.

House Stark - Scotland

House Greyjoy - Vikings

This is the one I most agree in among all the comparisons. Just adding that I feel the Free Cities seem like the Italian city-states, and Asshai/Jade Sea seems like the far East (China, Japan, Korea etc).

Now you got me thinking why doesn't Westeros start colonizing Sothyros.

Definitely on board for Tyells=France and Dorne=Spain. It works well with real world geography (with the Red Mountains being the Pyrenees) and with the fact that for several centuries France and Spain had a huge rivalry going, which is something we see in the Tyrells and the Martells. Lannister=England works for when England finally got it together enough to be a major player in European politics, and then had a rivalry with France. Stark=Scotland works well because they are both far north and relatively off the grid and disregarded by other houses.

I would now like to purport that Tully=Poland. Easily invaded and conquered, and a front line for any war.

This is the one I most agree in among all the comparisons. Just adding that I feel the Free Cities seem like the Italian city-states, and Asshai/Jade Sea seems like the far East (China, Japan, Korea etc).

Now you got me thinking why doesn't Westeros start colonizing Sothyros.

Because they are still in a middle-ages type of economy.

Archived