Comparing Each House To A Country In Our World

Omegas

From it's geographic position, vis-a-vis Essos, i always thought that Westeros was Atlantis. With the joke being that the people fleeing the lost continent came to Atlantis. Otherwise, allowing for gross social stereotypes, Westeros is northern America. The North, a big, sparsely populated, religiously tolerant, country is Canada. The Wildlings are the First Nations. The central six provinces, with their dominant culture and religious fundamentalism, are the United States. Dorne, with it relaxed attitude to harmless pleasures, is Mexico.

Dorne is nothing like Spain of the Late Medieval and Early Modern periods. The Spain of that time was dominated by the Church and and the concept of Limpieza de sangre or 'purity of blood'. After the Reconquest, Spain went through about 200 years of ethnic cleansing. The Inquisition chased secret Jews and Muslims, and anyone of any social pretension needed a certificate of Limpieza.

A Yankee analog to the Riverlands might be the Shenandoah river. A rich agricultural valley, who strategic importance will make it a target in any war. Although i am not that familar with the US, so i could be wrong on that. A European counterpart, that has been the subject of constant war is the Rhine Valley.

Vive y salud!

The comparison was geographic not cultural.

actually, France was often considered the center of chivalry (or, rather, ideals of chivalry), just as the Tyrells have such a focus. Also, while Dorne is much, much less restrictive and intolerant than Spain, it shares the underlying Moorish-meets-European feel with it's culture. It's woman's rights records, and it's flip-flopping between enragement and easy-going/pleasure-focused ideals are both rather unique to any culture (including Mexico, from what I've seen- quite a lot of that seems to be steroetypes)

Tyrells are definitely French. Switching sides continually-Bah!

Baratheons and Lannister: Hmmm, both have an English-y feel about them, I feel.

Martells and Dorne: Could be Spain.......yet it does have a more eastern 'feel'.....perhaps Turkey at a stretch? Or rather Constantinople, before the Turks invaded......but that would make them Greeks.......

PS. Starks have to be some slavic country, their "old gods" are strong indication of that. That's why countries with christianity since 0 AD cant be taken into account. Also scandinavia is ruled out as they didnt worship the trees.

There isn't a country in the world that has had Christianity since zero AD (well, apparently it's actually AD 1, but nevermind) because Christianity hasn't even existed as a religion for that long. Christianity didn't become truly separate from Judaism until after Jesus died - he didn't invent a new religion, his disciples did. If we believe that Jesus existed (and I do believe he did) then all the evidence suggests that he died considering himself a Jew. SO, now I've got that off my chest....

I tend to think of the Starks as Northern England. I've never been able to separate the northern part of Westeros, with its wild landscape, the wall and the land beyond the wall, from the northern part of England, with its wild landscape, the wall, and the land beyond the wall....you see where I'm going? :D

I always compared Stark to Russia as far as geography goes. The North is bigger than everyone else, the North is nearly impossible to invade with just an army, the North has the hardest winters, The North is known for its natural resources, and the North has it's own religion.

The Rhoynar I have always compared to the Huns, they were driven from their homes and forced to invade another country to find a home for their people.

Starks/The North - England with the wall being the hadrians walla nd the wildling being the scottish

Riverlands/Tully - Netherlands/Lothringa (i wonder why no one considered that before :F)

Eyrie - Poland/

Lannister - East France (Later Germany)

Tyrell - West France

Baratheron - Burgund + Northern Italy

Dorne - Spain

Targaryan - Rome

Dothraki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazars

Free Cities - Italian city states after the fall of the roman empire (the doom)

but everything is up to speculation of course and it's just my 2 cents ;)

• 6 months later...

First post - better make it a goodun! For me the overlying theme of Ice And Fire is the war of the roses, making the bulk of the houses English but from very different regions. As I'm sure has been mentioned before Stark = York, and as any englishman will tell you, Yorkshiremen consider themselves the oldest and most honourable of all the counties. Lannister is therefore Lancaster, the other of the main antagonists in the war, though I see them based more on the richer and more refined families of the south of England. The third, final, and ultimately triumphant house of the war of the roses was the Tudors, essentialy a Welsh offshoot of the Lancasters who eventually stole the crown - I would equate them to the Tullys (Maybe Blackfish is gonna pull something pretty sweet out of the hat!)

That's it for the English houses, the Tyrell's definately have the noble, flamboyant and dare I say cocky nature of the French. The Targaryens are definately based on the Aryan race (all blond hair and blue eyes) making them German ( though Dany is clearly the complete opposite of Herr Hitler, thank God). The Vale is Wales - a mountainous area full of semi beaten people who aren't sure who to side with ( I'm so sorry, my Mum's Welsh and I'm very proud of my heritage, but it's true!) North of the wall is Scotland - Surely the wall represents Hadrians wall built to keep the tribal Celts and Picts out of England ( though hopefully not the others!).

The Braavosi are definately Italian - the description of Braavos as being all canals sounds exactly like Venice. As has been said a hundred times before the Dothraki are the Mongols of Genghis Khans's time. The Iron Born are the Vikings - raiding, raping and pillaging coastal villages. I'm not totally sure about Qarth - I always pictured it as being China. And the cities of Slavers bay seem like Turkey to me. I could assign nations to the remaining states such as Lys and Tyrosh but I don't think they were really based on any real countries.

Starks - Papua New Guinea

Tully - Micronesia

Vale - Palau

Lannister - New Zealand

Tyrell - Australia

Baratheon - Kiribati

Dorne - Vanuatu

Greyjoy - Marshall Islands

Targaryen - Solomon Islands

Since we're all experts on Oceanic geography and politics, I assume I won't have to write my explanations for any of these. :P

This is the one I most agree in among all the comparisons. Just adding that I feel the Free Cities seem like the Italian city-states, and Asshai/Jade Sea seems like the far East (China, Japan, Korea etc). Now you got me thinking why doesn't Westeros start colonizing Sothyros.

Same reason it took the eropeans so much time to colonize Africa: Diseases.

The europeans couldnĀ“t conquest Africa before the discovery of quinine.

The Lannisters are most certainly British being tyrants an all ;) ...im British aswell so no bashing.

Starks - Scottish

Greyjoys - Irish

The first two make since.... dont believe the Irish were ever a sea power though. Iron Islands are definitely the Vikings. Culture based on raiding and such...

North-Scotland/Northumbria.

Iron Islands-Scandanavia/Orkneys

Vale-Austria/Switzerland/Bavaria/Wales

Riverlands-Burgundy/Lorraine/Western HRE

Crownlands-Wessex/Low Countries

Westerlands-West Country/Aquitaine

Stormlands-Aragon/Illyria

Reach-Loire, Seine &Rhone deltas

Dorne-Iberia

These are the only ones I have opinions on.

Greyjoys = Vikings, obviously.

Tyrells/the Reach = the great river valleys of central France, in terms of fertility, populousness, and climate as well as purity of knightly feudal culture. It's also the natural military power if the ruling family ever gets strong enough to wield it without division. Plus, the way Mace Tyrell outlasted the War of the Five Kings reminds me of Richelieu in the 30 Years War.

The Stormlands = Normandy. Normandy certainly has a suitable climate and geography, and the Stormlands seem to be a source of a lot of the premier warriors of Westeros, much like the Normans. Plus it borders the Reach/France. Going with that same theory...

The Marches = the Pyrenees Kingdoms.

Dorne = Spain. Medieval Spain had plenty of Moorish influence, making for a culture much different from the rest of western Europe. I actually think this one is the weakest so far.

Those are really the only ones I have strong opinions on, really.

Oh, and Valyria = Rome. They even salted the fields of their ancient enemy.

Land Beyond the Wall- Pictland/ Scottish Highlands

North- Scotland w/ northern Europe landscape

Riverlands- County of Toulouse, south east France

Westerlands- England (rolling hills, lion banner)

Vale- Switzerland

Reach- Northern France

Dorne- Al Andalus (Muslim Spain) with features of Wales and Cornwall

Stormlands- ?

Iron Islands- the Hebrides with Scandanavian overtones

Archived