Hooded Man of Winterfell Part 2

Verboten

Okay so I think the Hooded man might be Howland Reed. His kids were at Winterfell when it was burned, he's gonna want to know what happened to them, we know that one of the Mormonts is back North again, possibly after finding Greywater Watch and it would kind of fit The Hooded Man's automatic reaction of wanting to kill Theon then deciding to let him suffer. He may also know what Theon looks like while he's assuming the persona of Reek due to the Moat Cailin fiasco but even I find it hard to believe that Reed was watching Theon from the shadows. Let your inner conspiracy theorist loose, that's what these threads are for.

Okay. It's unpopular but as we have heard how there always has to be a Stark in Winterfell, I think it is Benjen.

Running away now...... :leaving:

Benjen Stark? Are you insane?!!!

Hahahahah HAR! Nah, I wouldn't dismiss that theory....who knows GRRM might shock us and bring back Benjen......

Okay. It's unpopular but as we have heard how there always has to be a Stark in Winterfell, I think it is Benjen.

Running away now...... :leaving:

Well that would explain the Hooded Mans actions but I personally believe that if Benjen were alive he would've returned to Castle Black to give over information about the White Walkers.

Well that would explain the Hooded Mans actions but I personally believe that if Benjen were alive he would've returned to Castle Black to give over information about the White Walkers.

That's what makes it so great.....Benjen has deserted because of his family. It would echo what Mormont said to Jon about at least the reason he had attempted to leave the NW was family and honour. I just think it would be interesting to see a Stark in a light we weren't expecting.

Okay so I think the Hooded man might be Howland Reed.

I'm not sure if the HM is necessarily Howland Reed himself, but I can definitely see him being a crannogman. They're known as a small people, but I'm sure they have at least some people of what we would consider "average" height.

When the Bolton/Frey force rides through the Neck, Roose was expecting the crannogmen to unleash hell. That's a logical assumption---nobody in the North actually believes the Boltons had nothing to do with Robb's death, the Reeds are fierce Stark loyalists, and we saw what the crannogmen did to the Ironmen at Moat Cailin. Those guys were dead in all but name. Roose goes to great lengths to avoid getting hit by a poisoned arrow, even setting up a decoy "Roose". Yet the crannogmen let the Bolton/Frey force ride by unmolested. Why on earth would they do that?

One option is that the crannogmen are off freeing the Lannister/Frey hostages, as a conspiracy between the Neck/BWWB/Riverlords was hinted at in AFFC. But I'm not sure if the timeline matches up enough for that. But there's also a second and extremely plausible possibility: the crannogmen didn't attack the host because the crannogmen were infiltrating the host. GRRM has told us time and again that armies march with a long tail of camp followers, armorers, cooks, freeriders, and the like. That's how Mance Rayder infiltrated Winterfell during AGOT----he just attached himself to Robert's train and nobody bothered to ask who he was. And with a host of men drawn from two wildly different groups, it would be easy to sneak in; the Boltons would assume any unfamiliar faces were with the Freys, and the Freys would assume they were with the Boltons.

So if the crannogmen were intending to destroy the Boltons, then having a spy or two in Roose's camp makes a lot of sense, and the Hooded Man might be that spy. Someone to open the castle gates of the Dreadfort or Winterfell to a beseiging army, for example, would be extremely helpful to Stark loyalists.

When the Bolton/Frey force rides through the Neck, Roose was expecting the crannogmen to unleash hell. That's a logical assumption---nobody in the North actually believes the Boltons had nothing to do with Robb's death, the Reeds are fierce Stark loyalists, and we saw what the crannogmen did to the Ironmen at Moat Cailin. Those guys were dead in all but name. Roose goes to great lengths to avoid getting hit by a poisoned arrow, even setting up a decoy "Roose". Yet the crannogmen let the Bolton/Frey force ride by unmolested. Why on earth would they do that?

Interesting observation. Maybe Manderly has been in communication w/ the cranogmen? He had some time from the capture of the one son/death of the other to when he freed Davos. Who knows what he was up to while he made nice to the Frey's. Seems there is a lot going on behind the scenes in the North that will be more apparent in the next book? I I certainly had the feeling while reading that many (most?) of the Northman at Winterfell were not on the Bolton's side.

UnDrogo.

It is known.

I can't remember what exactly the hooded man did. Can someone remind me? Is it possible that said hooded man was Theon's imagination telling him stuff? Like I said I'm totally drawing a blank on what actually happened in that chapter

UnDrogo.

It is known.

I can't remember what exactly the hooded man did. Can someone remind me? Is it possible that said hooded man was Theon's imagination telling him stuff? Like I said I'm totally drawing a blank on what actually happened in that chapter

Theon was wandering the grounds of WF when he sees a hooded man who was surprised that Theon was still alive, he called Theon a turn cloak and kin slayer, it's in one of the chapters I think Ghost in Winterfell or Turn cloak .

Theon was wandering the grounds of WF when he sees a hooded man who was surprised that Theon was still alive, he called Theon a turn cloak and kin slayer, it's in one of the chapters I think Ghost in Winterfell or Turn cloak .

But to me, the MOST TELLING element in their brief conversation is that Theon, *willingly* takes off his glove and shows the HM his fk'd up hand. I mean, how often have we seen Theon trying his hardest to get out of showing anyone the parts of him that Ramsay's destroyed? It is very strange.

"Oddly, he was not afraid. He pulled the glove from his left hand. “Lord Ramsay is not done with me.”

The man looked, and laughed. “I leave you to him, then.”

Martin, George R.R. (2011-07-12). A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (p. 612). Bantam. Kindle Edition.

Interesting observation. Maybe Manderly has been in communication w/ the cranogmen? He had some time from the capture of the one son/death of the other to when he freed Davos. Who knows what he was up to while he made nice to the Frey's. Seems there is a lot going on behind the scenes in the North that will be more apparent in the next book? I I certainly had the feeling while reading that many (most?) of the Northman at Winterfell were not on the Bolton's side.

If he was in communication with the cranogmen/Galbart Glover/Maege Mormont, he would know that Robb designated Jon as his heir, and he wouldn't be in search of Rickon.

If he was in communication with the cranogmen/Galbart Glover/Maege Mormont, he would know that Robb designated Jon as his heir, and he wouldn't be in search of Rickon.

Right, assuming Glover and Lady Mormont made it to the crangoman, which we aren't sure of. And, although I believe Robb did legitimize Jon, we also don't know that for sure. Plus, Manderly would know that Rickon comes before a legitimised bastard. If Bran and Rickon are alive, they would be before a legitimised Jon.

Plus, Mandrely seems a decent fellow. It is just common decency to save little Rickon ...

But to me, the MOST TELLING element in their brief conversation is that Theon, *willingly* takes off his glove and shows the HM his fk'd up hand. I mean, how often have we seen Theon trying his hardest to get out of showing anyone the parts of him that Ramsay's destroyed? It is very strange.

"Oddly, he was not afraid. He pulled the glove from his left hand. “Lord Ramsay is not done with me.”

The man looked, and laughed. “I leave you to him, then.”

Martin, George R.R. (2011-07-12). A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (p. 612). Bantam. Kindle Edition.

That is true. Feels almost as though Theon recognized this person. Another strange thing is that the HM says "Theon Turncloak. Theon Kinslayer. " // "How is it that you are still alive?" as though he was surprised at seeing him there, when all the people at Winterfell should have seen him at the wedding.

And if this was someone who did not belong, and he knew Theon, it would stand to reason that Theon might know him. So why not kill Theon to keep him from betraying him.

UnDrogo.

It is known.

Theon left all of the named characters (Abel, Ramsay, Roose) in the feasting hall to walk around outside. He meets a hooded man who mistakes him for another sentry at first but upon realizing his identity, speaks of killing the turncloak. Theon responds by showing his hand and saying that Ramsay is not done with him, which makes the HM laugh and decide to leave him in the hands of the Boltons.

If the Theon has Multiple Personalities theory is true I'm setting the book on fire. That is shitty writing of the highest degree.

That is true. Feels almost as though Theon recognized this person. Another strange thing is that the HM says "Theon Turncloak. Theon Kinslayer. " // "How is it that you are still alive?" as though he was surprised at seeing him there, when all the people at Winterfell should have seen him at the wedding.

And if this was someone who did not belong, and he knew Theon, it would stand to reason that Theon might know him. So why not kill Theon to keep him from betraying him.

I haven't thought this through, but my only thought is this: For a while, some people presumed Theon dead, in some circles. Later of course, we find out he is alive, and is with Ramsay (being flayed).

So my thought process is that the HM must be someone who thought Theon dead, and has not been around to get any news changing that thought. Did the Blackfish think him dead at one point? I'll have to check on that in the morning.

One great thing about having all the books on Kindle is that I can search so quickly, so I'll look into it :-)

Archived