Best change in character from book to series?

Batman

When turning a book and series the size of asoiaf in a tv series various characters are going to have to be changed and certain aspects of characters omitted. Which charcter do you find yourself liking more in the series than in the books?

Sandor Clegane is potrayed as less snarling and outwardly hostile in the series and Tywin Lannister has been portayed in a more human light. Littlefingers love for Cat has been more pronounced and there was actually a scene in season one where I felt bad for Joffrey! That scene where he is holding Roberts hand as he dies and Robert laments that he should have spent more time with him, he looked like he was going to cry.

Seriously? How is Stannis or Roose better in the series than in the books?

If you watched the Blackwater episode that just aired, Stannis was an absolute badass in the Siege of King's Landing.

I'll have to agree with GrrM that Osha definitely brings more personality to the T.V. series than the books, he's even gone as far as to say that "when I (GrrM) bring Osha back, I'll have to make her allot more interesting."

Other than that, Tywin seems to be getting more air time than when compared to the books, and hasn't disappointed me yet.

I'm not a book purist, I've actually come to like the changes in the show. I've already read the books, they can't possibly match them so why not just enjoy seeing something different?

That said there's nobody I've seen where I just though wow that's so much better. I'm not a fan of the sanitizing that goes on in the show. Clegane looks like the ex hippy school teacher you might have had as a kid. Bronn looks like he's in danger of nodding off at any moment, and Stannis comes off as pretty petulatnt and wishy washy, at this rate by the time we see Tarly he's going to say something like 'dude mellow out or I will strike you down with my most excellent sword. dude.'

I felt like they messed up Littlefinger in his scene with Cat, the part where he clearly lies to her about having both her daughters, when Arya has disappeared and Littlefinger knows this seemed to conflict with his total infatuation and perhaps love of Cat and for me crossed what I perceived to be perhaps his only true love.

Also portraying Tywin as warm smiles and the aging old sentimental did not sit well with me, when I think of Tywin I think of the man who mistrusted the sound of laughter and only smiled on his wedding day and lived in constant vigilance of threats and duty to his House at all costs.

However a few characters have good TV counterparts, such as the insight into Yoren and his badass scene. I also feel Jorah Mormont has been portayed really well and am interested to see how he unfolds.

Archived